Forums  > General > General Forum
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

kathleengam

Mar 31, 2015, 6:35 PM

Post #1 of 33 (7058 views)

Shortcut

Forums

Can't Post | Private Reply
Still some interesting columns on MexConnect but the forums seem to be dying out. Sad.

(This post was edited by kathleengam on Mar 31, 2015, 7:00 PM)

chicois8

Apr 1, 2015, 8:30 AM

Post #2 of 33 (7003 views)

Shortcut

Re: [kathleengam] Forums

Same pattern every year, snowbirds fly home and interest is lost till next winter.
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

kathleengam

Apr 2, 2015, 3:00 AM

Post #3 of 33 (6925 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chicois8] Forums

Aaawww hah! That makes sense. Thanks.

La Isla

Apr 2, 2015, 6:54 AM

Post #4 of 33 (6896 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Same pattern every year, snowbirds fly home and interest is lost till next winter.

Not all Mexconnect members are snowbirds! I live here all year ´round.

donemry

Apr 2, 2015, 7:13 AM

Post #5 of 33 (6891 views)

Shortcut

I guess you don't want to import a car. :)

drope

Apr 2, 2015, 9:47 AM

Post #6 of 33 (6861 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To

some members were on here for years before they even moved here or snowbirded. your theory doesn't fly and i would suggest there are other reasons of non-participation and decline thereof, which has gone on for some time.

Aaron+

Apr 2, 2015, 10:02 AM

Post #7 of 33 (6855 views)

Shortcut

Perhaps we are just part of the general switch of users from forums (where they are expected implicitly to be able to construct a thoughtful sentence to express some idea) to "social media" (Facebook and so many others of which I have no knowlede) to "twitter" (where thought fragments are limited to 140 characters, throw out any spelling or grammatical considerations).

Similar movements occur in the subscription patters (general decline) of magazines and newspapers in print versions.

chicois8

Apr 2, 2015, 1:57 PM

Post #8 of 33 (6822 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Forums

In Reply To

In Reply To

I do not believe I stated all Mexconnect members were snowbirds but I believe many are. Many boards seem to have a lull this time of year until Oct./ Nov....
By the way were is the heart of Mexico City? The Zocolo........
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

La Isla

Apr 2, 2015, 2:27 PM

Post #9 of 33 (6817 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

I do not believe I stated all Mexconnect members were snowbirds but I believe many are. Many boards seem to have a lull this time of year until Oct./ Nov....
By the way were is the heart of Mexico City? The Zocolo........

I just wanted to make it clear that at least one member of this forum considers Mexico to be her home all year round. Actually, I have no expat friends here who are snowbirds, perhaps because I live in Mexico City where many of the expats are younger and still working, so they don't have the option of spending part of the year back in their home country.

Although officially I believe the "heart of Mexico City" is the Zócalo, I live a few kilometers west of it, near El Ángel and the US Embassy.

Gringal

Apr 3, 2015, 9:43 AM

Post #10 of 33 (6743 views)

Shortcut

Another non-snowbird here, having lived in Mexico (San Miguel de Allende and Ajijic) for over ten years with only one short trip for a funeral NOB. I'm one of those who moved both feet into Mexico. If I need anything I can't get here, I have it imported.
My family knows they need to come here if they want to visit us, and they do. They also enjoy it.

I joined Mexconnect a year before moving here as one of my Mexico research tools. I gained valuable information and was a very active participant after the move. As time went on, I didn't need so much. Also, some of the most interesting posters were banned for getting too rowdy. That's always a problem on forums; when to throw the patrons out of the bar.
However, some moderators became too heavy handed, IMO. That causes people to seek a better fit elsewhere. Nobody likes to be deleted or severely reprimanded for expressing their opinions in a civilized manner. So, they leave.

Things do slow down during the summer months, but people tend to go on vacation at this time of year, visiting NOB friends and relatives, so that would explain the lack of activity, too.

It's a basic, safe place for newbies to land, and for oldbies to check out regularly. For snowbirds; a good place to learn about Mexico.

morgaine7

Apr 3, 2015, 10:15 AM

Post #11 of 33 (6726 views)

Shortcut

I'm also a full-time resident, have lived here for eight years, and have been on MexConnect for more than ten years. It seems to me that there used to be more new members interested in and excited about moving to Mexico, finding places to live, learning Spanish, and generally settling into their lives. These days I find a lot of bickering and a disproportionate number of discussions about importing cars (currently 10 of 26 on the first page of the Living, Working, Retiring forum alone). Also, I find that people with questions are frequently referred to other sites (Rolly's, Yucalandia's). Not reinventing the wheel makes sense up to a point, but it tends to limit discussion on these forums. The growth of social media may also have an effect among those who indulge.

Maybe the car import issues are important enough to some to warrant their own Specific Focus forum. I don't know that we can do much about the other factors.

Kate

Gringal

Apr 3, 2015, 10:52 AM

Post #12 of 33 (6711 views)

Shortcut

Re: [morgaine7] Forums

The car issue seemed to have brought the "entitled" out of the woodwork. It's not a pretty sight. Same deal with the tax issues.
It beats me why people move to a foreign country and feel they have the right to complain about the laws.... but then, some folks live to bellyache.
That's just not good for your health.

It's a beautiful day and a case of excess CARLOVE or fiscal tightness can surely ruin it. Reality check: it's only a car and its only money.
Most expats can afford to comply with the laws. If your budget is tight, you don't need to buy an SUV with all the goodies on it.
An economy car will do ya. Just slow down for those topes.

(This post was edited by Gringal on Apr 3, 2015, 10:54 AM)

morgaine7

Apr 3, 2015, 11:01 AM

Post #13 of 33 (6707 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] Forums

Maybe we need Specific Focus: Whining about Mexico. That way, the rest of us could skip that forum and carry on enjoying ourselves.

Gringal

Apr 3, 2015, 11:03 AM

Post #14 of 33 (6702 views)

Shortcut

Absolutely!
ROFLMAO.

jeffie1

Apr 3, 2015, 12:04 PM

Post #15 of 33 (6690 views)

Shortcut

My wife and I just moved to a small village in Michoacan and are quite happy with our new life. We used Mexconnect extensively before moving and found quite a bit of valuable information and helpful members along the way. Using the search feature and sending private messages to veteran members has most definitely saved us time and money.

However, we've observed a small group of posters that bring nothing productive to this forum. Take a look at any thread that has been locked by the moderators within the last year or so. Then notice the same group piling on with inappropriate, non-productive, downright rude remarks.... right before it is locked. So it goes!

La Isla

Apr 3, 2015, 12:19 PM

Post #16 of 33 (6687 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Maybe we need Specific Focus: Whining about Mexico. That way, the rest of us could skip that forum and carry on enjoying ourselves.

Love it!

La Isla

Apr 3, 2015, 12:22 PM

Post #17 of 33 (6683 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
. . . These days I find a lot of bickering and a disproportionate number of discussions about importing cars (currently 10 of 26 on the first page of the Living, Working, Retiring forum alone). . . .

Maybe the car import issues are important enough to some to warrant their own Specific Focus forum. . . .

Kate

I've noticed that too. And since I haven't owned a car since 1969, I find the topic tedious and of no interest to me at all. Giving these kvetchers a Specific Focus forum of their own sounds like a good idea to me.

cbviajero

Apr 3, 2015, 12:34 PM

Post #18 of 33 (6679 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Forums

In Reply To

In Reply To
. . . These days I find a lot of bickering and a disproportionate number of discussions about importing cars (currently 10 of 26 on the first page of the Living, Working, Retiring forum alone). . . .

Maybe the car import issues are important enough to some to warrant their own Specific Focus forum. . . .

Kate

I've noticed that too. And since I haven't owned a car since 1969, I find the topic tedious and of no interest to me at all. Giving these kvetchers a Specific Focus forum of their own sounds like a good idea to me.

With all due respect,some of us do have an interest in the subject.
If you're not interested in subject,why follow the thread?

tonyburton

Apr 3, 2015, 12:52 PM

Post #19 of 33 (6656 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cbviajero] Forums

(To all posters) - ahhhhhh - it's SOOOOOO difficult to please all the posters all the time, but we do our best....!

Anonimo

Apr 3, 2015, 1:17 PM

Post #20 of 33 (6650 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Aaron+] Forums

In Reply To
Perhaps we are just part of the general switch of users from forums (where they are expected implicitly to be able to construct a thoughtful sentence to express some idea) to "social media" (Facebook and so many others of which I have no knowlede) to "twitter" (where thought fragments are limited to 140 characters, throw out any spelling or grammatical considerations).

Similar movements occur in the subscription patters (general decline) of magazines and newspapers in print versions.

If Mexconnect had a "LIKE" button in the forums, I would click it here, Aaron +.

sioux4noff

Apr 3, 2015, 1:18 PM

Post #21 of 33 (6650 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tonyburton] Forums

Almost all the Mexico related groups I follow do have a lull in the summer and around holidays. I guess people are busy with their lives, what a concept!

Anonimo

Apr 3, 2015, 2:29 PM

Post #22 of 33 (6630 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sioux4noff] Forums

In Reply To
Almost all the Mexico related groups I follow do have a lull in the summer and around holidays. I guess people are busy with their lives, what a concept!

This IS my life! Ja ja.

Saludos,
Anonimo

sioux4noff

Apr 3, 2015, 2:56 PM

Post #23 of 33 (6621 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Anonimo] Forums

LOL, Anonimo, I guess me too!

richmx2

Apr 4, 2015, 3:39 AM

Post #24 of 33 (6571 views)

Shortcut

Or "Kvetching for Snowbirds"?

Maybe the drop-off is a good thing... meaning we've answered the most basic questions. A lot of us who live here (I consider myself a migrant, not an "expat") just get tired of the same old questions that are less and less relevant to our lives. Or, our needs and wants are so specialized, that we're going to forums relevant to our own specific geographical area or field of interest. A long thread on legalizing a foreign car, for example, isn't anything I'd read, not having a foreign car (and, when I moved to Mexico City, I sold the Mexican car I had).

http://mexfiles.net
http://mexicobookpublishers.com

RickS

Apr 4, 2015, 11:31 AM

Post #25 of 33 (6501 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] Forums

...."Nobody likes to be deleted or severely reprimanded for expressing their opinions in a civilized manner. So they leave."

With all respect to you, a valued member, I doubt that anyone has ever been dismissed from Mexconnect based on your criteria above. But then, of course, we all probably have a different definition of a 'civilized manner'.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4