Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

Mar 24, 2015, 8:04 AM

Post #1 of 5 (28506 views)

Shortcut

Green card renewal

Can't Post | Private Reply
This may be beyond the scope of this forum, but I have a question about how one renews a green card. Our neighbor has a green card that will expire in July. He wants to know if he can renew it and if so, how and where. I know nothing about this, so wonder if anyone knows the answer.

Thanks very much.

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

AlanMexicali

Mar 24, 2015, 8:50 AM

Post #2 of 5 (28497 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Nancy in Pátzcuaro] Green card renewal

In Reply To
This may be beyond the scope of this forum, but I have a question about how one renews a green card. Our neighbor has a green card that will expire in July. He wants to know if he can renew it and if so, how and where. I know nothing about this, so wonder if anyone knows the answer.

Thanks very much.

To retain a US Permanet Resident visa/card the holder has to live 6 months of a 12 month period in the US or have a permit which states a longer period. If your neighbor has not followed this rule they have invalidated their Permanent Resident visa and will have to return to the US to reapply for a new visa. If they have only been in Mexico for 6 months or less in the the last 12 month period they will have to renew in the US and prove they lived there for the required timeframe, usually by showing pay stubs and last years tax return. They might be required to show proof of residency for the 10 years the visa was valid, not only the last year.

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

(This post was edited by AlanMexicali on Mar 24, 2015, 8:55 AM)

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

Mar 24, 2015, 9:02 AM

Post #3 of 5 (28485 views)

Shortcut

Re: [AlanMexicali] Green card renewal

I was afraid that would be the answer. I don't know how often or how long he's been in the US, and if he's been out of the US for a significant amount of time his green card may already be invalid. But I thought I'd ask--

Thanks--

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

Aaron+

Mar 24, 2015, 4:24 PM

Post #4 of 5 (28433 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Nancy in Pátzcuaro] Green card renewal

Really, I would refer the neighbor to an official source of information, such as the USCIS,gov entries. Actually, I found Wikipedia's current entry on I-551 renewal more comprehensive than the government stuff. It notes

A green card holder may abandon permanent residence by filing form I-407, with the green card, at a U.S. Embassy.[62]

Under certain conditions, permanent residence status can be lost involuntarily.[63] This includes committing a criminal act that makes a person removable from the United States. A person might also be found to have abandoned his/her status if he or she moves to another country to live there permanently, stays outside the USA for more than 365 days (without getting a re-entry permit before leaving),[64] or does not file an income tax return on their worldwide income. Permanent resident status can also be lost if it is found that the application or grounds for obtaining permanent residence was fraudulent. The failure to renew the permanent resident card does not result in the loss of status, except in the case of conditional permanent residents as noted above. Nevertheless, it is still a good idea to renew the green card on time because it also acts as a work permit and travel permit (advance parole), but if the green card is renewed late, there is no penalty or extra fee to pay.[65]

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permanent_residence_%28United_States%29#Differences_between_permanent_residents_and_conditional_permanent_residents
Yep, I realize Nancy was trying to be helpful, but it beats me why folks ask questions on forum-type sites when solid info is readily available.

citlali

Mar 25, 2015, 8:49 PM

Post #5 of 5 (28358 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Aaron+] Green card renewal

I have a green card that does not say I have to renew it and that I am supposed to give it up since I do not live in the States....I pay the taxes.
I know a couple of people who went to the consulate to give up their green card and the consulate people were schocked that anyone who do that.
You can give up the card and ask for a 10 year visa ort try to renew it but if you have not lived there chances are they will tell you it is not valid any longer like they told me or they will take it away they may also tell you about the 10 year visa..it all depends.
Ask the question to officials is a good way to lose it for sure, that is why many people do not ask...

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4