Forums  > Specific Focus > Technical Mexico
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

playaboy

May 12, 2015, 5:29 PM

Post #26 of 34 (6069 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] Dual Sim Chip Smart Phones

Can't Post | Private Reply
I returned tonight. As soon as I turned the phone on at the GDL airport, both chips, Telcel and Verizon, registered on the networks. Once I got home to the land line, I dialed both numbers and when the phone rang it showed which number was ringing.

Now I am down to one phone in MX but still need 2 phones when I am in the USA.

johanson / Moderator

May 13, 2015, 8:28 AM

Post #27 of 34 (6056 views)

Shortcut

Thanks for your input. Me, I'm lazy, and have a Telcel Sim Chip in my newer iPhone and an AT&T chip in my older one and whenever possible use either my Ajijic or Seattle land line.
I guess when it gets easier and I can use the same iPhone with two chips in both countries I will contemplate doing so.
Luckily when I am out of the country, I'm in Mexico 85% of the time, my friends know better than to phone my Telcel # most of the time and instead email me. I then phone them back on my VoIP (internet) phone

cathycjones

Jun 12, 2015, 12:15 PM

Post #28 of 34 (6004 views)

Shortcut

Can't Post |
Hi playaboy,
I moved to Mexico from CA in July 2014 and before moving, bought a BLU dual sim smartphone, which is my first. I made sure that the phone was compatible with Mexico, which is important! I initially bought a U.S. sim card, then when I arrived in Mexico (Queretaro), bought a Telcel sim card. I ended up moving from Queretaro to San Luis Potosi and used the Qro sim for a while, until I decided to get a local SLP card. For a short time, I had both the Qro and SLP cards, and noticed that when I went to text or make a call, I was given the choice of which Mexican sim to use.
The dual sim is convenient but not necessary, unless changing the sim cards is a nuisance for you. You'll only need to change the sim cards if you travel a lot between places that require different cards.

I hope this info helps and if you have further questions, feel free to email me at: teachercathyj@yahoo.com

good luck! Cathy

playaboy

Jun 13, 2015, 3:50 AM

Post #29 of 34 (5982 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cathycjones] Dual Sim Chip Smart Phones

I have been using my phone for over a month. Having the verizon sim and telcel sim in the same phone works great. I really like the hotspot feature.

markosjal

Oct 24, 2015, 1:45 PM

Post #30 of 34 (5365 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Dual Sim Chip Smart Phones

For you or anyone else interested.......

There are many alternatives over a 2 chip phone

Google voice is free and gives you a free USA number

You can run google voice on a smartphone and get free USA calling.

I can also configure google voice for a Vonage type experience with a cordless phone at home (use the same account at home in USA/Canada and in Mexico)

although it is less relevant Lakeside (because numbers lakeside would be from Guad) than in San Miguel and VAllarta I am offerinfg fixed phone numbers for SMA, Vallarta, and (in the case of Chapala from) Guadalajara. These are transportable numbers that I can direct to most any service (including USA/Canada Cell phone) but I can direct it most economically to Google voice as described above. In that way both your USA number and Mexico number can be answered on a Vonage like device at home in Mexico or USA/Canada , and/or on your smartphone with data connection.

chinagringo

Oct 24, 2015, 5:05 PM

Post #31 of 34 (5354 views)

Shortcut

Re: [markosjal] Dual Sim Chip Smart Phones

With the upheaval in telecommunications in Mexico, many of the US providers have changed their Mexico options. We just did a trip in September and less than a month before our trip SPRINT radically changed their plan options but didn't tell us. Found out by accident and for no additional monthly cost - we now have unlimited calls in Mexico, to Mexico from the US and to the US when in Mexico, 1GB data per 30 days and unlimited text messaging. Plus it is now a requirement of US Cell providers that they unlock your smartphones. I had my new Samsung Galaxy S5 unlocked and could have purchased a Mexico SIM card but why with the new programs?
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

johanson / Moderator

Oct 24, 2015, 6:27 PM

Post #32 of 34 (5351 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Dual Sim Chip Smart Phones

Thanks for the info. What does your plan cost per month?

NOTE:I edited my message to make up for a mistake I made

(This post was edited by johanson on Oct 25, 2015, 12:28 PM)

markosjal

Oct 24, 2015, 6:49 PM

Post #33 of 34 (5346 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Dual Sim Chip Smart Phones

These changes came about because COFETEL the previous telecom regulator was disbanded (they were in bed with Telmex) .

IFTEL was formed and as of Jan 1 forced many changes , mostly intended to stimulate competition and break up the TelMex/TelCel Monopoly

chinagringo

Oct 24, 2015, 8:19 PM

Post #34 of 34 (5341 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Dual Sim Chip Smart Phones

Pete:

We pay absolutely NOTHING extra for the Mexico add-on to our SPRINT plan. We have one Samsung Galaxy S3 (obligation complete), one Samsung Galaxy S5 on lease and one Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 with cell connect. Our total package is right at $165+/- with unlimited calls & text and 4Gb of data.

The Samsung Galaxy S5 is GSM capable, the S3 is old technology and almost worthless, and SPRINT doesn't offer a data plan for the Tab S 10.5 as it is CDMA only.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4