Forums  > Specific Focus > Technical Mexico
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

playaboy

Mar 22, 2015, 7:02 PM

Post #1 of 34 (16146 views)

Shortcut

Dual Sim Chip Smart Phones

Can't Post | Private Reply
I use Verizon Wireless and have the grandfathered North America plan. Verizon uses CDMA technology and partnered with IUSA (CDMA) in Mexico. Now that IUSA was bought out by ATT, IUSA is going to a GSM system. Verizon has given me a new dumb phone that has a brand new Verizon SIM so that it will continue to work in Mexico.

I would like to get a smart phone that will work with 2 sim chips, one a TelCel chip and one Verizon chip. Have any of you had any experiences with these type of phones?

johanson / Moderator

Mar 23, 2015, 6:47 AM

Post #2 of 34 (16128 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] Dual Sim Chip Smart Phones

I only know that one business in Ajijic along the shores of Lake Chapala, uses 2 SIM chip phones for their employees. Why? Apparently the call rates are cheaper with one company and the internet rates are cheaper with another.
Sadly I did not ask what type of smart phone they are using.

Loafer

Mar 23, 2015, 8:06 PM

Post #3 of 34 (16107 views)

Shortcut

I have had a "blu phone" for a few years now and really like it. I use Telcel call and text SIM card in Mexico and a AT&T in the US with data. I go back and forth every other month and it works well for me. Was a Verizon customer but they would not let me use the phone because it was chipped. That was a few years ago. I will have to check the new Verizon SIM card.

RickS

Mar 23, 2015, 8:13 PM

Post #4 of 34 (16106 views)

Shortcut

So is your question not.... experiences with a dual sim phone, one sim using CDMA and the other sim using GSM?

playaboy

Mar 24, 2015, 7:49 AM

Post #5 of 34 (16094 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Loafer] Dual Sim Chip Smart Phones

I have seen the Blu phones online. Good to hear you like it. Where did you buy it? Which one do you use? Do both phone numbers work at the same time?

Verizon is a CDMA system. CDMA is being phased out in Mexico with the purchase of IUSA by ATT. For Verizon's customers to continue being able to use their phones in Mexico they had to introduce a Verizon GSM Sim chip and new phones (which they gave me). Verizons GSM chip will not work in the USA, only globally. This is brand new technology for Verizon.

Before my old phone would only work on the IUSA system. The nice thing about this new set up is that my coverage area in Mexico now includes TelCel and Movil cell system.

I want to eliminate having 2 phones. I am looking for a phone (under $250) that is Verizon CDMA capable for when I am in the USA and takes 2 sim chips for my time in Mexico. I don't want a data plan in the USA only Mexico TelCel.

BTW, Is IUSA issuing new phones to their customers?

Loafer

Mar 24, 2015, 8:37 AM

Post #6 of 34 (16090 views)

Shortcut

I got my phone in PDX at a small phone store, it was around $275. You can have both chips on at the same time, depending on location one will be roaming. Had to get data package because it is a data phone which causes a data fee. Let me know if you get around it. Mexico did not care, just want to sell you time.
Good luck finding a CDMA phone that will take chips too. I would have preferred staying with Verizon but I wanted one phone like you. This works for me.

Lilmsmaggie

Mar 25, 2015, 4:14 PM

Post #7 of 34 (16058 views)

Shortcut

No guarantees but maybe these might help you identify potential candidates:

http://www.gsmarena.com/...s.php3?sTag=Dual+SIM

http://www.phonearena.com/...-phones-2015_id66106
Dwain (aka Lilmsmaggie)

DavidHF

Mar 25, 2015, 4:19 PM

Post #8 of 34 (16055 views)

Shortcut

Your phone is limited to one system, e.g. CDMA, GSM, etc. You can have two sim chips but NOT 2 systems.

Lilmsmaggie

Mar 25, 2015, 4:23 PM

Post #9 of 34 (16053 views)

Shortcut

The SIM cards are generally there for Verizon's 4G LTE networks, because the LTE standard also uses SIM cards. The phones may also have SIM slots to support foreign GSM networks as "world phones." But those carriers still use CDMA to authenticate their phones on their own home networks.
Dwain (aka Lilmsmaggie)

playaboy

Mar 25, 2015, 8:12 PM

Post #10 of 34 (16044 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidHF] Dual Sim Chip Smart Phones

As I have investigated online I have found some HTC phones that are CDMA/GSM dual sim chip phones on ebay for $500+. So there are phones that will work on both systems. I did find about 5 choices of dual sim phones in a store in Chapala. My Spanish wasn't good enough to find out if these phone were CDMA also. I will be going back with a friend to find out.

johanson / Moderator

Mar 26, 2015, 7:33 AM

Post #11 of 34 (16035 views)

Shortcut

Great information. Living in both the US and Mexico, it sounds like I can downsize from two phones to one. Oh why not just change chips? Because I want to be able to receive calls from both places regardless of my location.

DavidHF

Mar 26, 2015, 8:42 AM

Post #12 of 34 (16030 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Dual Sim Chip Smart Phones

Playaboy, I stand corrected. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual_mode_mobile

fordmexico

Mar 26, 2015, 9:27 AM

Post #13 of 34 (16026 views)

Shortcut

The issue you will have finding a CDMA/GSM dual sim phone is that the CDMA technology is used primarily in the USA (Verizon-Sorint) and in Japan. The rest of the world is primarily GSM.

Siunce you are already using Verizon, the best solution would be to find a Verizon "world phone" or a developer edition. These phones will have both the CDMA radio and one for GSM. The Verizon phones will be locked to Verizon in the USA but will allow you to insert a GSM chip from any carrier. You will need to pay attention to the GSM frequencies. Most of these phones will have 2G compatibility and perhaps 3G. Finding those that support numerous high speed LTE bands may be more challenging.

Searching Amazon may be a good place to start. Delivery to Mexico may be an issue due to various marketing restrictions imposed by the manufacturer of the phone and possible shipping restrictions because of the phone's Li-ion battery.

Verizon Moto X Developer Edition 2013 (XT1060) can now be found for $270-$350 USD on Amazon. This particular phone will have the necessary radios for use in both Mexico and USA. Although a year old, it is still a top of line phone. Resellers buy excess/old inventory from Verizon and then sell it "unlocked or carrier free." This particular model works better for Verizon customers because of its CDMA radio and cannot be reprogrammed to Sprint.

You may also find the phone on E-Bay. Look for those sellers thatt have bought the old/excess inventory. These phones may come with a warranty and are much better/safer deals than buying a used phone

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Moto-32GB-Developer-Editon/dp/B00QB3ZF00/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1427388613&sr=8-2&keywords=moto+x+2013+developer

Info about the phone - the appropriate model for your use would be the Moto X XT 1060. You will find others models XT 1053 (T-Mobile), XT 1058 (ATT).

http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_x-5601.php

I am also looking for these phones but without Verizon/CDMA capability.

Good Luck.

(This post was edited by fordmexico on Mar 26, 2015, 9:51 AM)

playaboy

Mar 27, 2015, 6:47 AM

Post #14 of 34 (16008 views)

Shortcut

Re: [fordmexico] Dual Sim Chip Smart Phones

Thanks Ford for that info.

Verizon offered me a of 2 free (extend my contract 2 years) phones. A smartphone and a old flip style dumb phone. The smartphone would require me to get a data plan with them, which I don't want. I want the TelCel data plan. I took the dumb phone, a Kyocera duraXV. It is a CDMA/single SIM GSM phone. It is nice but it is dumb.

I would like a CDMA/Dual SIM phone. I have looked on ebay and saw

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HTC-Desire-709D-5-0-Android-4-1-Dual-Sim-Unlocked-Verizon-CDMA-3G-Mobile-Phone-/261652618586?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item3cebb61d5a#shpCntId

Nice phone but it comes from China. I would like to hold it before I buy it and have my questions answered by a salesperson (like the old days).

BTW, the Verizon store reps told me that Verizon is not locking phones anymore.

DonJuane

Apr 10, 2015, 1:52 PM

Post #15 of 34 (15939 views)

Shortcut

Is Verizon like AT&T in that if you put a data capable phone on their network, they force a data plan on you? If so, you would be SOL in your quest anyway.

DonJuane

Apr 10, 2015, 1:58 PM

Post #16 of 34 (15938 views)

Shortcut

Further curiosity, if you are not interested in a data plan with Verizon then doesn't (GSM) AT&T have a fairly descent voice network and can't you get a much less costly plan by going with one of their resellers (i.e. H2O) and using something like a Blu Studio with dual SIM? I have to say I love my Blu, use AT&T & Telcel for best coverage both sides of the border. Roaming in a camper all over the US, I would just go with Verizon data and VOIP.

playaboy

Apr 11, 2015, 8:51 AM

Post #17 of 34 (15915 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DonJuane] Dual Sim Chip Smart Phones

Those are good questions. I have found that there are many dual sim chip phones sold in MX. I don't think Verizon can make you accept a data plan if you own your phone outright.

I want to keep my Verizon plan. For my use I can't beat the price. When I dive back to the States there are some local dealers in CA that have CDMA dual GSM SIM chip phones.

DonJuane

Apr 11, 2015, 11:58 AM

Post #18 of 34 (15908 views)

Shortcut

AT&T does force any phone with data capability (newer than the old Razr 3 with a scrolling news feed that cost you $3 a month) to subscribe to a data plan. If you stick an AT&T from a flip phone into a smart phone, you will have a data plan on your next bill, and one you didn't choose.

playaboy

Apr 11, 2015, 1:10 PM

Post #19 of 34 (15905 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DonJuane] Dual Sim Chip Smart Phones

That is good to know about ATT. I will check with Verizon to see if they have the same policy.

I don't need the CDMA in Mexico anymore now that Verizon has a GSM Sim that works here. If I can carry one smart phone in Mexico and be able to receive my TelCel and Verizon calls that would work for me. The few times I am in the States I can carry 2 phones.

mazbeach

Apr 17, 2015, 5:56 AM

Post #20 of 34 (15877 views)

Shortcut

We are GSM only, but I bought my wife an inexpensive Samsung two-chip phone last year for $120 usd on Amazon. She uses T-Mobile up north and TelCel here. It has worked out really great and is something I will consider next time around. Two pokes with the finger and you've changed lines. I have no experience with CDMA, but have always avoided it because GSM is more universal everywhere I've been.

Aaron+

Apr 20, 2015, 10:32 AM

Post #21 of 34 (15844 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazbeach] Dual Sim Chip Smart Phones

I purchased an one of the inexpensive Samsung Duos models last November for about $120 in Radio Shack (hey, I had just gotten into the States, needed a phone, so bought it even though I saw that the weekend before it was on sale for $99 at RS). My model is not one sold by Telcel. When I use T-Mobile, "T-Mobile" and my phone number display. When I switch to use Telcel, the phone does recognize Telcel, but my Telcel number does not display. I already had a Telcel SIM card, but not the mini-SIM card the new phone took, but the regular size can be carefully cut down (cut the farther out edge) to fit.

For those with the duo chip phones, do be careful and double check before making a call to see which service is currently being accessed, or you could be doing a "remote" or "roaming" call at higher cost.

playaboy

May 9, 2015, 7:22 AM

Post #22 of 34 (15746 views)

Shortcut

I have been in the States a lot recently. Tech support with Verizon is not up to speed concerning global phones.

I will still have 2 phones when in the USA but will only need a one phone in Mexico.

I just purchased a used phone off of Craigslist (great price with some extras). It is a Kata I3S, dual chip GSM. It sees both my Telcel and Verizon chips. Telcel registers on the ATT network. My Verizon sim chip will only work once I am out of the USA. Next week I will know for sure if things will work.

roberb7

May 10, 2015, 7:07 AM

Post #23 of 34 (15717 views)

Shortcut

Amazon has the Kata I3S for $119.

playaboy

May 10, 2015, 7:43 AM

Post #24 of 34 (15713 views)

Shortcut

Re: [roberb7] Dual Sim Chip Smart Phones

I got the phone for $35. It is like new. It included a cover and an external battery pack.

Now I have to learn Android.

johanson / Moderator

May 10, 2015, 11:43 AM

Post #25 of 34 (15700 views)

Shortcut

I would say that most of my friends in the Lake Chapala Society computer club have Android phones and find them easy too work with. Me I still have an overpriced iPhone :(
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4