Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

joband

Mar 18, 2015, 12:10 PM

Post #1 of 8 (9721 views)

Shortcut

plan or adlib extended trip

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hello,
I am not sure which thread to post this in.
In the fall (November post DOD) I will be coming to Mexico for an extended visit of several months.

My target destination is Patzcuaro. I am interested only in temperate climate, or cooler. The size is not too big. I have no trouble amusing myself and puttering, dabbling in markets and arts. My Spanish is minimal but coming along.

Anyway I would also like to spend a few days in Morelia and also plan a few In Mex. City. >before< I arrive in Patzcuaro.
After my 6 months in Mexico is up I plan to head to San Cris and overland to Guatemala from there.
Traveling with dogs and no vehicle is the most challenging aspect, but I am not traveling as a tourist, not hoping to get a lot of sights in. also prefer a not so big expat community as I am more interested in local culture than US-Can in Mexico.
If all goes well I will return to Mexico from Guatemala.

I intend to spend most of my time in Patzcuaro-up to 5 months and wonder if it would be difficult to find an economical casita once I arrive or should I try and book my whole time before I get there.

I would prefer to look around but I am not sure how long it might take to find a place. 2 weeks, a month

I appreciate any input and insights.

Thank you
jo

(This post was edited by joband on Mar 19, 2015, 8:05 AM)

chicois8

Mar 18, 2015, 12:47 PM

Post #2 of 8 (9713 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joband] plan or adlib extended trip

Jo writes:
"Traveling with dogs and no vehicle is the most challenging aspect, but I am not traveling as a tourist hoping to get a lot of sights in."

So you have no vehicle and buses do not take dogs are you walking through Mexico? It will also be harder to find places to stay with dogs........

Staying in one place is cheaper than "hoping to get a lot of sights in" and Traveling to Guatemala and back.......
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

(This post was edited by RickS on Mar 18, 2015, 2:00 PM)

joband

Mar 18, 2015, 1:33 PM

Post #3 of 8 (9707 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chicois8] plan or adlib extended trip

Hi I said I am NOT traveling as a tourist,( hoping to get a lot of sights in). I am traveling by air and taxi and staying in one place for 5 months :-)

perhaps you should reread my post and answer only if you have something helpful to say.

I have not been to Mexico for many years but I have been on many many forums for many many years.

chicois8

Mar 18, 2015, 2:38 PM

Post #4 of 8 (9695 views)

Shortcut

Excuse me, as one who has been traveling and living in Mexico since 1957 I thought a couple questions to you would help me answer your questions, but
your second sentence sealed that offer...Hope the CAD keeps falling.
San Mateo, California

tashby

Mar 18, 2015, 3:57 PM

Post #5 of 8 (9689 views)

Shortcut

joband, the dogs are the difficult part. Trust me. When I moved to Mexico, my partner and I drove down with our dog. The plan was to drive around central/western Mexico til we found the right spot. Traveling with a dog, much less more than one, will really make this a LOT more difficult for you. Let me re-phrase that: a LOT MORE DIFFICULT FOR YOU! Having said that…

If you plan on staying in Pátzcuaro for five of the six months, the dogs will be fine there. I'll bet anything that you could find someone to dog-sit your dogs for the other month, which would free you up to travel around parts of Mexico and into Guatemala easily.

But what if you decide you want to leave Pátzcuaro before the five months are up? You've expressed a desire to "ad-lib" the trip. That idea is super easy and totally doable and fun down here. But not with dogs. If you can possibly leave your dogs up north, you'll enjoy a lot more freedom of movement. Good luck.

joband

Mar 18, 2015, 5:36 PM

Post #6 of 8 (9674 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] plan or adlib extended trip

Thanks tashby
I do know that traveling with dogs is difficult. I absolutely DO KNOW that. I have lived with and traveled with dogs for 50 plus years. They are "little" dogs and one is quite old so I may have only 2 in a short time. But yes it can be a pain and definitely more planning is involved.

I have narrowed down my Mexico interests largely by climate and size of town as they are THE most important aspect. I do not want little Pittsburg or Toronto. and I always keep my dogs in mind as they are part of my lifestyle, that is simply how it is.
But what I meant more about adlibbing was how long to prebook a hotel or apt and how long it might take to find something once there? I do not really want to book a place for 5 months without seeing it and feeling the neighbourhood. Is a week in a hotel enough time to find an apartment?

My original plan was for low season and now it is changed to high season, so that is more of a concern.
and yes the possibility of a pet sitter if I could find one is an excellent idea!

thanks for you input.
jo

(This post was edited by joband on Mar 19, 2015, 8:02 AM)

chicois8

Mar 18, 2015, 5:57 PM

Post #7 of 8 (9668 views)

Shortcut

Is the reason for traveling to Guatemala because you a 180 day FMMer and can not meet the requirements for a visa to live in Mexico permanently?
San Mateo, California

at7mbe

Apr 29, 2015, 11:05 AM

Post #8 of 8 (8835 views)

Shortcut

Go to Yahoo Groups, join Michoacan_Net, and post your requirements there. You may find rentals and a hotel or two that will allow dogs. As others have mentioned, you will have to rely on taxis, not buses, to get around with your dogs. However, there are several reputable pet-sitting services in Patzcuaro should you want to leave for awhile.

We drove around a bit in the interior of Mexico with our 42-pound dog in 2006. At times the difficulty of finding a hotel that would accept the dog left my wife on the verge of tears, particularly after trying 6 different places as it was getting dark in Lagos de Moreno. That experience convinced us to purchase a small camper van for future travels with our dog, something that made lodging far less stressful for all of us.

I'm not suggesting a camper van as a solution for you, just using our experience to point out that traveling with dogs and without a plan can be difficult. There used to be a list online of Pet Friendly Mexican Hotels. It wasn't always up to date, but you might search for that, and if it still exists, you can contact some of the hotels to see if they still are in business and still accept pets.

-- Mark

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4