Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

seaweedsl

Mar 11, 2015, 10:01 AM

Post #1 of 12 (15960 views)

Shortcut

Reentering Mexico with Residencia Temporal

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hi folks. I've got a Residencia Temporal and have gotten into a bit a jam. I'm going to ask the basic question I have first and then I'll elaborate.

Question is; what happens if you return to Mexico from US without the "departure document" or "exit visa" that INM gives "residents" when departing Mexico by air. It's the one that's kinda like reverse tourist visa, but if I have to explain that, you probably don't know the answer!

Background:
I re-entered Mexico last December by taxi, crossing the bridge @ Juarez. I entered with the required exit visa in hand, but then at that bridge INM office when I went to submit that form and get my pp stamped, I discovered that my residencia temporal was not with me - I had somehow left it at my dad's in Houston, 1000 miles away and I had a plane to catch at the CDJ airport. The INM official at the bridge first said " you must go get it" but then when I realized where it should be I told him it was too far away and I had a plane to catch in three hours. Understanding I didn't want to miss the flight he then advised, "well, just get a tourist visa at the airport and don't tell them you have a residencia."

I did that and it worked, I entered as a tourist. At least I got home. Then two weeks ago, I left Mexico again, this time flying directly into Houston. I submitted my tourist visa to INM in my departure Airport (HUX), no problem.

I found my Residencia card where I suspected it would be and am now going to return home to Mexico next week. I'm trying to figure out what to do, if I'm going to get grief in HUX when I get off the plane or what.

Any ideas? Has anybody else re-entered Mexico without that (somewhat uncommon) "exit document" they issue? Has anybody else even heard of anyone with this dilemma?

I can always come back in as a tourist, I suppose, but I want to keep my residencia status and would prefer to get my status back on track as soon as possible. And I really, really do always prefer to do things the right way, although Mexico has taught me repeatedly that "the right way" is rarely a clear concept!

Thanks for any constructive input you might have to offer - appreciate it!

Steve

rvgringo

Mar 11, 2015, 10:39 AM

Post #2 of 12 (15946 views)

Shortcut

Re: [seaweedsl] Reentering Mexico with Residencia Temporal

You provided your name, address, and passport number when you completed, and used the FMM as a tourist. That act may very well have cancelled your Residente Temporal Visa, making you a tourist again. If you have a car in Mexico, it would now also be illegal, since the INM status was changed without notifying Aduana within 15 days, in writing.
You may discover that fact when you return to Mexico and pass through the INM checks. However, it is possible that they will not check the computer record that carefully, allowing you to pass. Even so, you could still be in violation, by having had two INM documents at the same time; Visa and Tourist Permit, even though not in hand.
Therefore, I suggest that you report to INM after you get back to your Mexican residence, pay whatever fine they impose and see if they can ‘regularize‘ your visa, if necessary. If not, you will have to start over at a Mexican Consulate in the USA.
Good luck.

seaweedsl

Mar 11, 2015, 10:50 AM

Post #3 of 12 (15942 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] Reentering Mexico with Residencia Temporal

Yes, I know, I'm very surprised I haven't seen any issue, but that's Mexico. They don't always connect the dots even though it seems computerized. But I'm not sure that reporting to an office is a good idea. I've learned that it's far better to be ignorant and ask forgiveness than look for permission, that's just a guarantee of trouble. It's very different culture than US.

I think a lot of gringos miss that and try so hard to treat it like the US where you do things right or else, but I've got oh, 30 years in and out of Mexico. Very few Mexican officials even know the rules they are enforcing outside of a few common routines.

I don't have any vehicle issues, but immigration is kinda important. I probably should have turned around in December and given up the flight but the INM official seemed to think it would work out alright. He did mention being ready with a bribe if needed at some point. I stupidly did not "tip" him, though it was probably called for.

Bueno. Anyway, does anybody actually have experience with this issue, even just the simple part of entering without an "exit" visa?

playaboy

Mar 11, 2015, 11:32 AM

Post #4 of 12 (15926 views)

Shortcut

Try just filling out a new FMM and turn in the top portion upon entry into MX. Make sure to write Residente Perm on the top and check the "other" box.

Good luck

rvgringo

Mar 11, 2015, 11:54 AM

Post #5 of 12 (15917 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] Reentering Mexico with Residencia Temporal

The OP is Residente Temporal.
Not having a vehicle is good, as that is one less thing to worry about.

playaboy

Mar 11, 2015, 12:00 PM

Post #6 of 12 (15916 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] Reentering Mexico with Residencia Temporal

So just write "Residente Temp" on the top. The other stuff I posted should be correct.

soylent_green

Mar 11, 2015, 2:18 PM

Post #7 of 12 (15898 views)

Shortcut

just tell them you crossed north by land.

don't come in on another tourist visa.

seaweedsl

Mar 11, 2015, 3:15 PM

Post #8 of 12 (15880 views)

Shortcut

Re: [soylent_green] Reentering Mexico with Residencia Temporal

Excellent guys thanks. I remember that the FMM is the same form as the "exit visa" but filled differently so I'll just fill out the relevant part on the one they give me on the plane and put that note across top.

And if one crosses north by land, it's very hard to get an exit document even if you look for it. I know Good suggestion on that.

I'm gonna obfuscate and just say nobody gave me one. I don't know if they will see that I left through the same airport two weeks ago. That's the tricky part, knowing when a bit of misdirection will serve the cause and when it will get me into more trouble.

At least I'll be home in Mexico if there's problems. I'm married to a Mexican, so I'm hoping to finally apply for citizenship in about a year and be done with all this mess. Same for my wife, if she would just learn english and get hers for the US, we could both be dual and immigration concerns will be over.

seaweedsl

Mar 23, 2015, 11:42 AM

Post #9 of 12 (15715 views)

Shortcut

I just want to follow up now that I'm back in Mexico. I took your advice, Playaboy and others and entered with the usual form filled out. I did only the top but they asked me to fill in the bottom too. Fine. I presented it with my passport and my residencia card.

The INM agent at the airport where I arrived looked at it, scanned my passport and card and after a minute, said "come with me into secondary" . I followed them to the office and they handed me over to a guy at a desk. They never asked me anything and I didn't volunteer anything. Obviously something was wrong with my picture but they were dealing with it internally and not putting it on me.

He looked over my card very carefully, held it to the light. He then made copies of everything, all pages of my passport. He asked when I left the country and I responded correctly, 14 days earlier, leaving the same airport (where they had cancelled out my tourist visa) I never lied.

After some time, he asked me how long I'd lived in Mexico and I responded 15 years. OK. He called Mexico City talked to them and told them I was a long time resident. They approved something and he hung up. He wrote up a document declaring my status in Mexico in general and had me sign it in several places and then returned my pp and card and told me all was good, I was free to go. YES !

So, the discrepency did not escape them, but they seemed to have assumed it was their error and fixed it internally. I'm surprised that they were not wondering why I was so undisturbed as I might have been if I were A-OK, but I just kept an even keel, waited patiently and played with my phone to keep my nerves down. It took about 45 minutes extra.

I kinda doubt that they would have given me grief for simply reentering under a residencia card without the (perhaps optional) exit document in hand. I'm pretty sure that the real issue was that I had been in the country for a few months under a tourist visa while still holding a valid residencia visa on record. Even that was probably ok, but on reentry, they had to decide whether cancelling my residencia was the appropriate way to fix the discrepency and this time, they went the other way.

So, while I was successful in keeping my card and not losing my year under the new system nor having to reapply, for anybody else in my position, I would not expect this to always work out. It will depend on where you enter, most certainly. I suspect that D.F. or other places more north would be more likely to see it as my error and not theirs and confiscate my card.

Cheers and thanks for the advice and support!

Steve

sioux4noff

Mar 25, 2015, 7:47 AM

Post #10 of 12 (15591 views)

Shortcut

In 2013, I left Mexico by bus. The bus did not stop for me to get a form, I didn't realize I should have asked them. I'm a permanent resident of Mexico, and a US citizen.
Anyway, when returning by bus, I went to immigration with passport and visa. The agent asked for my form, and I told him the bus didn't stop. He said they should have. I responded with the standard shrug of the shoulders and just repeated, the bus didn't stop.
He let me in (no form filled out), so I think as far as that trip goes, I never left the country.
The next time I left by land, I was sure to get the paperwork.

david3528

Oct 7, 2015, 1:33 PM

Post #11 of 12 (9099 views)

Shortcut

Glad it all worked out for you. When you say one gets an FMM upon exit by the INM, where is this form obtained from exactly? I want to ensure I do the right thing upon exiting with my Temporal Residency visa.

YucaLandia

Oct 12, 2015, 7:20 AM

Post #12 of 12 (8633 views)

Shortcut

Re: [david3528] Reentering Mexico with Residencia Temporal

Hi David,
The process for getting and completing an FMM when exiting depends on whether you are flying or driving out:

~ Flying out: You go to that Mex. airport's INM office, fill out the top & bottom (or left and right) halves of the FMM ~ BOLDLY WRITE YOUR VISA TYPE across the top of each half of the FMM ~ and have INM approve it. The airline keeps the "exiting Mexico" half of the form. You keep and use the "entering Mexico" part of the FMM to return/re-enter Mexico.

~ Driving out: Each border crossing has their INM office located in different spots, so you have to find that crossing's INM office - get an FMM - fill it out: BOLDLY WRITE YOUR VISA TYPE across the top of each half of the FMM ~ and have INM approve it. INM keeps "exiting Mexico" half of the form, and you use the "entering Mexico" part of the FMM to return.

Lot's of foreign residents have driven in & out of Mexico in the past, without logging their exits, but as INM now has national computer data-bases that INM personnel can quickly pull up our past immigration records, they are moving towards insisting that we RT's & RP's have the "entering Mexico" half of the FMM when we return. (Note that this policy is not universally enforced, so some INM crossings clerks get a little confused when we request an FMM for exiting Mexico by car.)

Happy Trails,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Oct 12, 2015, 7:30 AM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4