Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Southern Mexico

roberth

Mar 3, 2015, 3:25 PM

Post #1 of 12 (11382 views)

Shortcut

Recommend a good car rental company in Cancun?

Can't Post | Private Reply
We're taking a trip to QR in a few months, flying into Cancun, and the research I've been doing has gotten me worried about finding an honest car rental company. Anyone have positive experiences to share? TIA!

chinagringo

Mar 3, 2015, 3:49 PM

Post #2 of 12 (11378 views)

Shortcut

Re: [roberth] Recommend a good car rental company in Cancun?

While we don't have any experience with Cancun, we have had a couple of positive experiences with Payless Guadalajara. Instead of booking online, I have always picked up the phone and talked directly with the location. I ask for the full meal deal (discounted price including ALL insurance on the size category we require) rather than playing the ala carte game with add-ons for each policy and I do require that they email me in advance a full breakdown of the EXACT coverages since I won't play nickel & dime and not have adequate coverage including legal assistance.

Granted I am not thrilled with having to pay all the extras for insurance but I also would like to keep my record clean of never having set foot in a Mexican Police Station let alone one of their jail facilities!

Payless Cancun:

https://www.paylesscar.com/locations/cancun-cun/
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

CoreyL

Mar 4, 2015, 2:07 PM

Post #3 of 12 (11348 views)

Shortcut

I had a HORRIBLE experience trying to deny from Budget in Playa Del Carmen over Xmas- They wanted to charge me over $700 in insurance for a 5 day rental! I ultimately just walked out without renting. I learned my lesson and more recently had a very good experience with National at Cancun airport (joined their program for a free 1 class upgrade as well) the deal in Mexico is that the daily rental prices are pretty inexpensive but they KILL you on the insurance. If you have an American Express card (I have a Platinum) and pay with it...your collision insurance should be taken care of by Am Ex so don't take that with the rental but confirm with Am Ex or whoever your credit card company is prior to going and have them email you your international (Mexico) coverage so you can print it out and bring it with you...BUT...the liability insurance (which is mandatory with every rental is NOT covered). I had National Car Rental Corp. send me a quote for my trip on their price for the car plus liability insurance only and printed it out and brought it with me (it was pretty reasonably priced). As it turned out, I didn't need to show it as the National office there had the same quote ready for me in their computer...no hassles- decent price- good car with the free one class upgrade.

chinagringo

Mar 4, 2015, 7:55 PM

Post #4 of 12 (11332 views)

Shortcut

Re: [CoreyL] Recommend a good car rental company in Cancun?

As with so many things in Mexico, agencies in Cancun may have totally different policies versus the rental car cartel in Guadaljara. Only once in the many years of renting at GDL have we had a franchise accept our AMEX PREMIUM RENTAL CAR POLICY as a replacement for all add-on insurance coverages above liability insurance which isn't covered by AMEX or any other credit card poilicies. We have had agencies tell us that we can decline the extra coverages but that they would charge our AMEX card with a deposit amount up to the original sticker price of the vehicle. No way in heck I was willing to agree to that!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

pako

Mar 5, 2015, 8:48 AM

Post #5 of 12 (11312 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Recommend a good car rental company in Cancun?

No experience with car rentals, but I have heard some stories. Make sure the insurance includes tires. It is an extra premium and cheap.

My neighbors rented a VW van to move some stuff. The spare tire escaped during the night. Apparently it was a one minute removal. Very easy. No tire insurance. Cost was $700USD.

RickS

Mar 5, 2015, 9:04 AM

Post #6 of 12 (11307 views)

Shortcut

Re: [pako] Recommend a good car rental company in Cancun?

Inside job?

chinagringo

Mar 5, 2015, 9:13 AM

Post #7 of 12 (11306 views)

Shortcut

Re: [pako] Recommend a good car rental company in Cancun?

You just reminded me of a flat tire incident we had last August on our rental. Since no one was around, I changed the tire to the spare and since I didn't care for the idea of driving around with no spare, we took the car back to the agency. Since it was your standard Nissan Versa, I figured a replacement was no big deal and we would be out of there in no time. Wrong! Huge discussion about us having to pay for the tire to be fixed. Kept saying to put it on our bill but no we had to agree on an amount. Then it turned out, we had to change cars. By the time we turned the car in, they had come to their senses and allowed that we didn't have to pay for the repair but lesson learned.

Just another entertaining Mexican travel experience!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

(This post was edited by chinagringo on Mar 5, 2015, 9:15 AM)

YucaLandia

Mar 5, 2015, 3:26 PM

Post #8 of 12 (11285 views)

Shortcut

Easyway has had a solid reputation for renting decent cars at fair prices for here in Yucatan peninsula: http://www.easywayrentacar.com/

Happy Trails,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

roberth

Mar 5, 2015, 7:10 PM

Post #9 of 12 (11274 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Recommend a good car rental company in Cancun?

Thanks for your responses guys, all very helpful! I love this forum. Haha
Quick question, just out of curiosity. Was there a Mexican national involved in any of your personal experiences? I guess I have a (mainly untested) faith that having my Mexican girlfriend around will allow us to escape the worst of this kind of treatment. Did people get the sense that they mainly prey on gringos? Or will the bad companies try to rip off anyone who walks through the doors?

chinagringo

Mar 5, 2015, 7:51 PM

Post #10 of 12 (11271 views)

Shortcut

Not sure by the way your question was phrased if it really deserves an answer? But I won't venture on that hallowed ground. I can tell you outrightthat when looking at various options in Guadalajara, some of the Mexican websites for various franchises had much higher prices in Pesos for locals. I am only guessing but it appears to me that Mexicans may rent for a couple of days at a time and the high daily price is acceptable for a short rental?
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

cbviajero

Mar 6, 2015, 6:57 AM

Post #11 of 12 (11257 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Thanks for your responses guys, all very helpful! I love this forum. Haha
Quick question, just out of curiosity. Was there a Mexican national involved in any of your personal experiences? I guess I have a (mainly untested) faith that having my Mexican girlfriend around will allow us to escape the worst of this kind of treatment. Did people get the sense that they mainly prey on gringos? Or will the bad companies try to rip off anyone who walks through the doors?

The latter.

YucaLandia

Mar 6, 2015, 8:39 AM

Post #12 of 12 (11247 views)

Shortcut

Cancun and the surrounding area has been different from most of the rest of Mexico since at least the mid-1980's. For 3 decades, Quintana Roo has had a well-deserved reputation for more government, police, and Pemex corruption/scams than the neighboring states of Campeche and Yucatan.

We used to feel like we were going into a piranha tank when in Cancun back in the 1980's & 1990's - where many people were just taking little bites out of us all the time. After building on Isla Holbox and visiting in Merida, we realized that Cancun is kind of like the Las Vegas of Mexico: Cancun is in Mexico, but doesn't have much resemblance to ordinary life in the rest of Mexico - unless you get well-out of the tourist areas. e.g. Friends we know who are merchants and run restaurants in Cancun and along the Riviera Maya describe how the "protection" racket has grown to outrageous proportions, sometimes requiring more $$ than the merchant's gross receipts.

Fortunately, these routinely ugly sorts of things (part of our families' lives in Quintana Roo), are not a regular feature of life in Yucatan or Campeche.

Happy Trails,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4