Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

Estrella Lopez

Feb 27, 2015, 2:42 PM

Post #1 of 8 (6197 views)

Shortcut

Mexican plated vehicle in the US

Can't Post | Private Reply
My husband and I have decided to drive our Mexican plated, but originally from CA, pickup to the US. We will be gone about three months. I am having a difficult time finding out exactly what we need to cross the border. I am checking into insurance through Unity, but what other paperwork will we need? Appreciate any help that can be offered.

YucaLandia

Feb 27, 2015, 3:15 PM

Post #2 of 8 (6189 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Estrella Lopez] Mexican plated vehicle in the US

Current Mexican state registration is needed. That is called the "tarjeta de circulación" in Yucatan, so you would need your state's equivalent. US insurance companies may want to see the equivalent of a vehicle title, which is a "factura" here in Mexico.
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

robt65

Feb 28, 2015, 12:22 AM

Post #3 of 8 (6158 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Mexican plated vehicle in the US

Just wondering if that car was legally exported from the USA before importing into Mexico? It might cost a few extra bucks otherwise, please keep us informed.
robt65

Estrella Lopez

Mar 3, 2015, 6:40 AM

Post #4 of 8 (6069 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robt65] Mexican plated vehicle in the US

Yes, the pickup was legally brought into Mexico. We have the CA title and the paperwork changing it over to a Mexican vehicle.

robt65

Mar 3, 2015, 7:03 AM

Post #5 of 8 (6062 views)

Shortcut

Hello Estrella Lopez,
What I meant to say by "was your car legally imported into México" was your car Legally Exported from the USA before being legally imported into Mexico. If your car was legally exported fro the USA before being imported into México, Then I would just bring a copy of your old USA registration with the CBP stamp on it as well as your current registration, maybe a bill such as an electric bill showing your current address and a copy of your current insurance. Then you should not have any problems at all. At least that is what I would do.
Have a good trip,
Regards,
robt65

Estrella Lopez

Mar 4, 2015, 3:51 PM

Post #6 of 8 (5997 views)

Shortcut

We purchased the truck in Mexico. I have the title from the owner in CA and the paperwork done when it was brought over here (Mexican paperwork that made our friend the legal owner) and the paperwork when it was sold to us. There is no stamp on the CA title.

Estrella Lopez

Mar 4, 2015, 3:56 PM

Post #7 of 8 (5995 views)

Shortcut

We also are having problems getting insurance here. Couldn't even get help from our Presidencia, they said call a new car dealer in Gdl, maybe they could help. So, I'm guessing, insurance is not required here.

rvgringo

Mar 5, 2015, 10:02 AM

Post #8 of 8 (5946 views)

Shortcut

It appears that you have a US vehicle, which was nationalized and registered in Mexico. Many insurers consider them propable “chocolates“ and also know that parts may not be readily available in Mexico. So, they hesitate to offer full insurance coverage and may only offer liability coverage.
Insurance is required in Mexico, but many Mexicans drive without insurance or even a license. I would not consider that an option for an expat, as long jail time and financial ruin could result in the event of an accident.

Id you have all the paperwork to make the truck yours, you can certainly get Mexican insurance. However, getting more than temporary liability for the USA will be a problem. However, if you have a clean US title, made out to you, you could register the vehicle in the USA and that might solve the problem. No need to cancel your Mexican plates; just use them for going to Mexico.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4