David McL
WebJefe

Anonimo

Feb 27, 2015, 4:13 AM

Post #2 of 11 (13005 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidMcL] A letter to Rolly from Mexconnect

Can't Post | Private Reply
Thank you David; that was a beautiful and touching tribute to Rolly.

Saludos,
Anonimo

esperanza

Feb 27, 2015, 4:29 AM

Post #3 of 11 (13002 views)

Shortcut

Thank you, David, for everything you wrote about Rolly. Your words reflect the feelings of all of us who knew and valued Rolly's dedication to this web board, to the accurate dissemination of information about his beloved Mexico, and to his family and students. The world is poorer for his passing. It was an honor to be his friend and colleague here.

QEPD, dear friend.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

RickS

Feb 27, 2015, 9:35 AM

Post #4 of 11 (12953 views)

Shortcut

Yes, David, as usual you are spot-on about Rolly. And, like you, I never had the good fortune to meet him in person. That is my one big sadness.

Rolly was the type of person who, even if you hadn't had the pleasure of physically shaking the hand, showed his grace by his deeds and personality. Such a fine gentleman and such a great 'story' of his contribution to all of us including his family in Lerdo.

So to you, Sir Rolly, it's been a pleasure to know you. You will live on in our hearts forever.

YucaLandia

Feb 27, 2015, 11:29 AM

Post #5 of 11 (12932 views)

Shortcut

A good homage to a fine man.

In the midst of all the good comments about Rolly, we've not talked about his wry wit and sense of humor.

For background, Rolly used to regularly send emails and PMs asking for advice and insights on especially knotty INM and Aduana questions/issues, because it is really tough to keep track of the changes and interwoven policies.

On one particularly complex issue, Rolly just cut and pasted an entire section of one of our immigration policy articles - dragged 'n dropped it into Rollybrook.com without asking. I sent a playful email to rib him about his blatant plagiarism, and he just chortled !

Rolly's delightful retort:
"You really can't complain much until some professor has lifted an entire article of yours, to make a chapter in their book."

A truly delightful & practical guy who is already much missed.

Happy Trails,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Feb 27, 2015, 2:39 PM)

Teo

Feb 27, 2015, 4:32 PM

Post #6 of 11 (12898 views)

Shortcut

Beautiful letter, David. Thank you for expressing so eloquently what we all feel.

Rolly was truly one of a kind.

YucaLandia

Feb 28, 2015, 4:40 PM

Post #7 of 11 (12824 views)

Shortcut

Here's Nery's FB post on his feelings about Rolly:

"Sylar Sfy‎ Rolly Brook

Goodnight My name is Nery Manuel Gomez Rosales.
I am speechless to express all what rolly means to me he was my grandpa and I was his nieto as he called me.

my heart is broken and I haven't stop crying since he left me. he was the best man in the hole world.

he was an angel from that I am sure. he was so proud of my and I was so proud of him. every night I gave him a goodnight kissed and a big hug and he told me always goodnight mi nieto I love you.
who will tell me goodnight now . I don't know how to handle this. Tears stream down my face while I am writing this. I will never forget you grandpa.
feeling sad. "

-
Read-on MacDuff

robt65

Feb 28, 2015, 8:07 PM

Post #8 of 11 (12804 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] A letter to Rolly from Mexconnect

I hope someone can get this to Nery,, . . . . . . . . I don't belong to face book and I don't know how to use it.

Hello Nery,
You don't know me but I know you , and many hundreds of others (grandma's and grandpa's ) you never knew you had, are right here on Mex Connect for you any time you need to talk. It is true we can never replace your grandpa Rolly and we never expect to do that. But we have followed you and your friends from your monthly dinners to your schooling and various birthdays, graduations and other milestones in your life. So in that sense we also are here to be your Grandpa's and grand maws) It takes a very brave and loving young man to reach out as you have reached out.
I can tell you that I also cried into the late hours the night I learned about your Grandpa Rolly's passing. I went back and read many of the wonderful stories that Rolly shared with us about all of you and how much he loved you. He was and I am sure continues to be so very proud of you he will always be there for you, when you say your prayers at night.
Nery, I can only invite you and your friends to come to MexConnect and join us here (it is free and doesn't cost one peso). I am sure that you will find that you have so many grandpa's and grandma's when you need some answers or just an ear and a little love to listen to you. We all know you are hurting and we all know that we share that hurt with you. We also know that Your Grandpa is in a better place and he feels no more pain of his illnesses. He is with God now and he is watching and caring for you. Look up at night to the brightest star, in the heavens above. That is your Grandpa Rolly. He is twinkling there just for you. He is watching and he is waiting so speak with him. You will know when he answers you. You, and only you can feel him so be in his arms and carry on with your life's choice. inspire others as Grandpa Rolly inspired you. Look for the good in others as your Grandpa Rolly did. He was a very special man and you were so blessed to have know him in such a personal way that none of us ever would or could.
So Nery, come, . . . . . .come and join us at www.MexConnect and join in, bring your friends who Rolly also loved and who also meant so very much to him. You and your friends gave Rolly a very special meaning and purpose in his life. I and others here on MexConnect welcome you here, come join us and share some of your stories about Your Grandpa Rolly with us as he shared his stories and times with you his grandson's and daughter whom he also loved so very much.
Come Nery, come and join us. Be part of our family, your family . . . . if you wish. My name is Robert and you can reach me at robt65@aol.com or just robt65 at MexConnect any time. I promise I will be there to listen and be with you through these trying times, as so many hundreds of your Grandpa's other friends will be also.
Come Neary,
With Best Regards and Love
From only one of many hundreds of Your Grandpa's friends.

(This post was edited by robt65 on Feb 28, 2015, 8:09 PM)

YucaLandia

Mar 1, 2015, 9:59 AM

Post #9 of 11 (12765 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robt65] A letter to Rolly from Mexconnect

Robert,
Done. Your beautiful message is now added as a reply to Nery's post on Rolly's FB page.
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff

robt65

Mar 1, 2015, 10:19 AM

Post #10 of 11 (12761 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] A letter to Rolly from Mexconnect

Thanks Steve.
Steve you and I need to speak privately on the phone. Only I do not have your phone number as you have changed it from the one you originally gave to me. Much has changed in my life this past year, and I need to say goodbye. Please give me a call on Skype, or if I had your number, I could Skype you. I am in Skype as Arthur Terney71.

Regards
Robert

robt65

Mar 3, 2015, 6:53 AM

Post #11 of 11 (12640 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robt65] A letter to Rolly from Mexconnect

Nery has responded.
First of all let me say that when Nery uses the word "cry" it (I'm sure) is used figuratively and not as he is actually crying. So having said that I would like to share with all of Rolly's friends here on MexConnect a reply from Nery to my letter to him a few days ago.
"Hi Robert I have not words to thank you about the words on your letter, It make me cried but it gave me the strength to carry on. And I will let you know about my goals that I told to my grandpa Rolly, and I will happy tell you about all our stories." "Thanks a lot :) "
I would hope that others here who were friends of Rolly's or not would take a few minutes from their day and drop a line to Nery or one of his other students to just keep on encouraging them in life.
Regards,
Robt65

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4