Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

JuanCha

Feb 22, 2015, 8:40 PM

Post #1 of 10 (9819 views)

Shortcut

Volaris (again) is Getting Yet Worse

Can't Post | Private Reply
I fly often Mex-USA-Mex a few times each year, for about 8 years now. Prior I flew in USA and Latin Amer. on business about 6 flights avg. per month for about 10 years - so I am a somewhat experienced flyer and traveler.

Three people (all USA born Mex-Amer, bi-lingual, college grads), me included, have been trying to book one ticket for a person on a Volaris round-trip from USA to Mexico and back. None of us with any success. Internet web-site flight booking was also a bust, from USA or Mexico (me, where I reside);

Call Center was useless as usual (both Mex and USA 8xx nunbers), Chat was same "inutil". We are all three completely bilingual. None of has been able to successfully book and pay for a simple round-trip flight. (I am a graduate computer engineer, a native English speaker, and speak better Spanish than some of the Call Center folks).

ALSO, last month, Jan. the Volaris land shuttle bus from San Diego CA to Tijuana never arrived to pick me up in downtown San Diego and I almost missed my Volaris flight from Tijuana as a result - the second time that has happened. Once, last year, the Volaris land shuttle FROM Tijuana to San Diego also left me stranded.

Even my "maletero" (skycap) at the Tijuana airport noticed that all the Volaris employees at the counter at the Tijuana airport all looked like they drank vinegar for breakfast and dinner - a very unhappy crew (most of whom looked under 25, unhappy, and bewildered).

This is my second post re Volaris, and I realize Volaris has many cheap flights and sometimes the only airline to/from some destinations. Thus, I am sometimes forced to use them.

Two years ago, Volaris had excellent service - now they are nearing the bottom of the airline barrel where Vivaaerobus resides. Whenever I can, I pay more to fly Interjet (THE BEST) and even (groan) Aeromexico.

When Volaris works, it is fine - but that is becoming increasingly rare.
JuanCha de: Santa Fe NM, San Cristobal de Las Casas Chiapas, San Diego CA

(This post was edited by JuanCha on Feb 22, 2015, 9:05 PM)

esperanza

Feb 22, 2015, 9:38 PM

Post #2 of 10 (9804 views)

Shortcut

Re: [JuanCha] Volaris (again) is Getting Yet Worse

In its glory days, Volaris was owned in part by Carlos Slim. Service at that time was generally really good. Almost five years ago, Slim sold his shares and the quality of Volaris service started to plummet. I just won't buy a ticket now.

Interjet is by far the better airline.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

chinagringo

Feb 23, 2015, 5:30 AM

Post #3 of 10 (9786 views)

Shortcut

Another vote for Interjet and they seem to be aggressive in applying for new destinations in the US.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

CozICan

Feb 23, 2015, 7:26 AM

Post #4 of 10 (9770 views)

Shortcut

I flew with Volaris 5 time last year and I thought they were excellent.

Maybe I was just lucky.

esperanza

Feb 23, 2015, 7:31 AM

Post #5 of 10 (9766 views)

Shortcut

Re: [CozICan] Volaris (again) is Getting Yet Worse

You were just lucky, believe me. Five times lucky.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

playaboy

Feb 24, 2015, 8:14 PM

Post #6 of 10 (9678 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Volaris (again) is Getting Yet Worse

I fly Volaris all the time. So far I have had 11 flights in the last year. Only one flight was late and I had the on-time guarantee which gave me a $100 voucher for a future flight.

I am looking at flying back to GDL next week and see some $35 one way fares from TJ. How can you beat that?

Gayla

Feb 25, 2015, 3:40 PM

Post #7 of 10 (9625 views)

Shortcut

I fly Volaris out of TIJ several times a year and agree they have been getting progressive worse, but it's gotten really bad in the last year. They code share with Southwest and have taken a cue from the SWA playbook and are now loading by zones 1 - 4. The only problem is, there are not identifiers as to where each zone lines up, only Volaris gate agents yelling "zona uno"..."zona dos"...etc. So everyone sort of mills around asking - regardless of language - each other what zone is where. They've also jammed more seats into their planes and they are getting progressive more uncomfortable.

I've had no problems make a flight reservation on-line, but it could also be because I'm flying out of TIJ an not the US. And forget the Volaris shuttle, not worth it. There are alternative ways of getting to TIJ from San Diego.

A group of us just flew Interjet last week OAX --> TIJ and were in heaven. All 4 of us vowed never to fly Volaris again.

chinagringo

Feb 25, 2015, 6:50 PM

Post #8 of 10 (9606 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gayla] Volaris (again) is Getting Yet Worse

Just for clarification, the Southwest relationship was disolved some time back.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

viktoremski

Feb 26, 2015, 11:36 AM

Post #9 of 10 (9559 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Volaris (again) is Getting Yet Worse

However, Gayla is right, the Volaris' version of zoning game is completely rediculous.

Septiembre

Mar 8, 2015, 1:50 PM

Post #10 of 10 (9448 views)

Shortcut

Interesting. I bought a ticket on Volaris for my brother to visit me from Phoenix in February. He was very satisfied with them. I paid a little extra and got him a reserved aisle seat in both directions. Plane left on time and arrived on time both directions. I had no trouble buying the ticket on line while sitting in Ajijic and he had no trouble checking in.

Sounds like YMMV to me. BTW, I see that both Volaris and Viva Aerobus are now flying into DFW and all the sudden one can get a reasonably priced ticket for the relatively short flight from GDL to DFW.

No free Tequila, though.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4