Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

stanbnv

Feb 20, 2015, 2:02 PM

Post #1 of 12 (3976 views)

Shortcut

Tourist visas

Can't Post | Private Reply
It's being bandied about on facebook that Mexican Immigration now says that you cannot just cross the border out, turn around and be issued another. You must spend as much time out as you spent in. ie, if you were issued one for 180 days, and stayed the full time, you cannot return for 180 days. Any truth?

rvgringo

Feb 20, 2015, 3:05 PM

Post #2 of 12 (3957 views)

Shortcut

Re: [stanbnv] Tourist visas

There is no indication or evidence that the rules have changed at all regarding the tourist permit (it is not a visa).
Any agent may admit, or refuse to admit anyone. It is entirely up to him to make that call. Some have been known to turn back scruffy, hippy-looking backpackers who did not appear to have enough resources to support themselves while in Mexico. The agent might then suspect that they might work illegally, or beg, or worse. It is his right and duty to make such judgements.

stanbnv

Feb 20, 2015, 4:21 PM

Post #3 of 12 (3945 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] Tourist visas

Just asking, as I would trust answers on here more than facebook, although I may be living in a fools paradise.

rvgringo

Feb 21, 2015, 10:15 AM

Post #4 of 12 (3881 views)

Shortcut

Border agents do have the right to refuse entry to anyone they deem undesireable. That can include 180 day border runners whou really should get residence visas but cannot qualify. If they look like they definitely cannot qualify and are obvious repeat crossers every 180 days, they can be turned way and some have been, from time to time, over the years. Nothing new there, but someone has evidently started a sinister rumor. Ignore it.

stanbnv

Feb 21, 2015, 3:45 PM

Post #5 of 12 (3849 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] Tourist visas

I asked on here because I read so many "experts" on facebook that don't know what they are talking about seem to expound anyway. If I was going to stay more than 5 - 6 months I'd go for a RT, not drive 750 - 1000 miles each way every 180 days for a new FMM.

sparks

Feb 21, 2015, 3:52 PM

Post #6 of 12 (3847 views)

Shortcut

Rumors on other boards that a Texas crossing was doing it .... but consensus was probably one one person at one crossing. Don't remember which crossing

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

arthaey

Feb 21, 2015, 8:45 PM

Post #7 of 12 (3804 views)

Shortcut

And that's exactly why I bothered with all the rigamarole to get my RT for the year. Even though it was reallllly unlikely that I'd find that one surly border guard, I just didn't want to worry about it.

And now I have a very pretty ID card souvenir. ;)

Moisheh

Feb 22, 2015, 9:25 AM

Post #8 of 12 (3758 views)

Shortcut

Re: [arthaey] Tourist visas

But doesn't having a RT create problems with the ability to get a TIP?

Rolly

Feb 22, 2015, 9:49 AM

Post #9 of 12 (3753 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Moisheh] Tourist visas

No, there is no problem. A TIP is available for an RT person. It is not available for an RP person.

Rolly Pirate

Moisheh

Feb 22, 2015, 4:01 PM

Post #10 of 12 (3720 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Tourist visas

Thanks Rolly. But once you have an RT is there not a time limit where then you .apply for a RP ? Or just turn in your RT.

Rolly

Feb 22, 2015, 4:06 PM

Post #11 of 12 (3718 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Moisheh] Tourist visas

Yes, you can hold an RT for only 4 years.

Rolly Pirate

rvgringo

Feb 23, 2015, 8:37 AM

Post #12 of 12 (3649 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Tourist visas

And, the OP should realize that the RT must be renewed in Mexico at a specified time for 1,2 or 3 years, after which it must be converted to Residente Permanente or one must leave Mexico before the RT expires.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4