Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Home, Garden & Construction in Mexico

CoreyL

Feb 10, 2015, 3:21 PM

Post #1 of 6 (15960 views)

Shortcut

Whole home water softener and purification systems

Can't Post | Private Reply
I just purchased a townhouse in Tao Ocean - Akumal (delivery scheduled for August 2015)an d have NOT been able to find any local info on a heavy duty whole home water softening and purification system...Are there companies that sell and install these types of systems in my area? Do they work or is the water so hard that these types of systems don't work in Mexico?- I assume I can get an under sink R/O system at Home Depot in Playa but was afraid they wouldn't work that great and thought something more heavy duty/industrial and for all of the whole home would work better- I'm not excited about the prospect of hauling those large water bottles up onto the counter to fill their dispensers and using bottled water upstairs in our master every night... any and all info. and/or experience would be greatly appreciated

rvgringo

Feb 11, 2015, 10:03 AM

Post #2 of 6 (15905 views)

Shortcut

Re: [CoreyL] Whole home water softener and purification systems

We installed a filtration and UV light system in the two homes we owned in Mexico over the years. We changed the filters every 6 months, unless heavier usage caused them to clog and reduce pressure earlier. Eventually, we discontinued the UV light and lived to tell you about it. Unless your neighborhood has particular water quality problems, a simple filtration system should be fine. Drinking water can be made safe with just two drops of cloro, or one drop of microdyne per liter. Keep that in the refrigerator and it is safe in 30 minutes. No need for RO, which is very, very expensive to maintain, and also tastes very flat with no mineral content at all.

YucaLandia

Feb 11, 2015, 8:22 PM

Post #3 of 6 (15871 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] Whole home water softener and purification systems

Sidelight: Microdyne is not iodine, it is not iodine based, and it is not good at killing pathogenic bacteria.

Microdyne is actually colloidal silver, which has only low kill rates (40% - 60%) on some kinds of bacteria, and Microdyne has zero effect on some key pathogens like Salmonella, especially typhoid. Also note that the US FDA and US NIH have published warnings since 1998 that colloidal silver - like Microdyne and Bacdyne et al - do not work.

The advice about bleach for reliable disinfection of drinking water is spot-on accurate.

For Corey's situation, it's also worth noting that Yucatan peninsula can have such hard water, also with elevated salinity in coastal areas, that many people find it not palatable for drinking even when filtered and UV treated.

CoreyL,
What is your water supply?

If it is a municipal water supply using deep wells, their chlorine treatment may be enough to ensure safe drinking water at your water meter. For example, Merida's city's water at the 97% of meters is very clean. When scientists tested the same addresses, but checked water quality at the kitchen sink, roughly 25% of the homes had fecal coliform contamination in their home tinacos and home plumbing, even though the city water supply was clean.

This means that a whole-house water treatment system installed where the water enters the home, would not kill contamination from inside the home's plumbing. This is one reason some people opt for treatment at the sink, or buy garafons of purified water.

Also note that a whole house water treatment system likely removes chlorine, which means the treated water has no residual disinfection. This also means that for that 25% of Yucatecan homes with contaminated internal plumbing, no residual chlorine in the water can mean no residual disinfection protection against in-home problems.

Happy Trails,
steve

*People who want details and references on these things can check out: http://yucalandia.com/...tamination-in-mexico
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

(This post was edited by Rolly on Feb 12, 2015, 6:46 AM)

YucaLandia

Feb 11, 2015, 8:57 PM

Post #4 of 6 (15861 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Whole home water softener and purification systems

If your home water is chlorinated, 0.2 - 0.5 ppm (mg/L) of free chlorine is a good target range.

Swimming pool test kits for free chlorine does a good job of measuring the residual chlorine disinfectant levels of water either in our tinacos or at the kitchen sink. (0.5 for treatment, 0.2 for preservation)
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff

CoreyL

Feb 12, 2015, 5:25 PM

Post #5 of 6 (15831 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Whole home water softener and purification systems

Thanks for all of these replys- I REALLY appreciate everyone's knowledge and experience. Our Townhouse is currently being built (Tao Ocean in Akumal-August delivery) and is supposed to be on the "state run" water system- I think I have that right... in any case it's not a private well or anything like that. Since the home is going to be brand new- my hope is that there won't be any initial contamination in our internal pipes (at least for a number of years?)...I understand that the water is VERY hard so a whole home water softening system sounds like a necessity to keep the pipes and interior faucets etc. clean from as much corrosion as possible. In terms of our drinking water in the house, I was really hoping to avoid the big jugs of water that you need to buy (my townhouse has NO good storage closet to even house one extra jug). Therefore was hoping that I could buy some type of water purification system for a least the kitchen (sink and refrigerator for drinking water and ice making)...It sounds like these won't work (again, at least an under sink R/O system) combined with a whole home soft water system like we use here in the states?

YucaLandia

Feb 13, 2015, 2:59 PM

Post #6 of 6 (15805 views)

Shortcut

Re: [CoreyL] Whole home water softener and purification systems

Since home water softening systems here use the program of adding lots of sodium (salt), it's not necessary to feed salty/softened water to the kitchen sink RO purifier. Softened/salty water is good for preventing scale from damaging toilet's parts, sink fixtures, etc, but not good for drinking or purification.

To avoid this problem: During construction, you could have them route a single dedicated cold water line up to the cabinet under the kitchen sink (not connected to the softened water) to feed your RO purifier. This basically has 1 Calcium ion (from hardness) and 1 Carbonate ion sticking in the RO membrane versus plugging the RO membrane with 2 Sodium ions and 2 Chloride ions.

By using non-softened water to feed the RO unit, the membrane lasts longer than feeding it with softened water.
-
Read-on MacDuff

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Feb 13, 2015, 5:05 PM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4