Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

Mexicanbill

Feb 4, 2015, 3:58 AM

Post #1 of 22 (12650 views)

Shortcut

We have 4 Dogs, is that a problem?

Can't Post | Private Reply
On this trip to Mexico, We will be driving and we would like to take our four dogs. One website we visited said that we are only allowed 2 dogs. We will be getting the paperwork so they are legal (one will be just under 12 weeks old) Has anyone every had problems with the number of dogs, when driving into Mexico...As we are traveling from Eagle Pass to Puerto Vallarta. we will also be looking for motels to book in advance so we would like to clear customs as rapidly as possible.
Chef William aka MexicanBill

(This post was edited by Mexicanbill on Feb 4, 2015, 3:59 AM)

playaboy

Feb 4, 2015, 5:56 AM

Post #2 of 22 (12636 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Mexicanbill] We have 4 Dogs, is that a problem?

I don't know the pet limits.

I do know the quicker you dogs learn Spanish the quicker they will make friends with all the Mexican dogs.

citlali

Feb 4, 2015, 7:29 AM

Post #3 of 22 (12626 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] We have 4 Dogs, is that a problem?

I believe the limit is 2 per person , we came in with 3 mastiffs and 3 cats and had no problems so who knows..I think the rules are strickter when you fly. If you are 2 dults you should be ok.

By the way when we came down we had kennels and that made it easier for the hotels to say yes to letting the dogs stay.

If you stop at the no tell motels that are usually on the outskirts of towns you will not be asked anything about the dogs but if you stay in down you may be turned down here and there. Most Mexicans do not travel with dogs as a rule .

By the way it also depends on the size of your dogs if you have little ones it may be easier thanlarge ones. We now hve hairless and they are accepted faster than hairy dogs as you can show they have no flees....

(This post was edited by citlali on Feb 4, 2015, 7:33 AM)

roberth

Feb 4, 2015, 8:35 AM

Post #4 of 22 (12614 views)

Shortcut

I also don't know about dog limits. The one bit of information I can offer is to strongly recommend you have a paper for each dog stating that they have had their rabies shot within the last year or so. I forget the necessary time frame, maybe 1-2 years. When my mom came to visit, she hadn't brought that document, and even though her dog is an old and tiny little Maltese, we had to have a vet come to the airport near midnight to administer a rabies shot. It was quite a pain, but they wouldn't budge. Maybe the level of stringency is different between airport and border customs, but I wouldn't risk it.

rvgringo

Feb 4, 2015, 9:37 AM

Post #5 of 22 (12607 views)

Shortcut

It is true that the limit is two pets per person, so you should get your veterinary papers in separate names; your names for two dogs each.

Motels (motel de paso) may accept dogs if they have tile floors and an area to walk them. We have done that and some even have restaurants with room service. We also ate at sidewalk stands with tables, etc.
Hotels will generally refuse to allow dogs. Mexicans think it very strange to travel with pets. So, start early in the mornings and plan to start looking for lodging at mid-afternoon.

citlali

Feb 5, 2015, 8:11 AM

Post #6 of 22 (12561 views)

Shortcut

Re: [roberth] We have 4 Dogs, is that a problem?

Yes the level of vigilence and checking are very different at the airports than by road. At the airport if you have 3 pets you have to import the 3rd and have a broker (that is per person)
At the time we crossed via Nogales with the mastiffs none of our papers were checked except for rabiesñ I have heard they now want to see the deparasiting papers as well.. so better have everything in order.

By the way on rabbies the 2 or 3 year shots are not accepted. They have to be the yearly type.

We travel twice a year with dogs within Mexico as we go from one house to another and have to spend one night on the road.. We stay away from large cities and have arely been told no about the dogs but it takes some talking sometimes and the kennels are usually the ones that make people say yes..
The hotels are afraid of flees and hate he fact that some people let the dogs on or in he bed. The maids complain that foreigners sleep with their dogs.
Our dogs are kennel trained and stay in there without barking. We also do not let them alone in the room.
We do not travel with the dogs unless we have to as it can be a pain. We only take them when we leave for 6 months and after that we get housesitters.

AlanMexicali

Feb 5, 2015, 8:41 AM

Post #7 of 22 (12557 views)

Shortcut

Re: [citlali] We have 4 Dogs, is that a problem?

I personally think large dogs are not usually accepted at hotels in Mexico is because children [and as adults it is fixed into their minds] are trained by their parents to be afraid of large or medium sized dogs and it shows up even when much older.

Hotels then want all guests to feel comfortable and do not usually allow dogs around in the hotel, among other considerations in my view. Some Mexicans do travel with small lap dogs.

citlali

Feb 5, 2015, 9:57 AM

Post #8 of 22 (12546 views)

Shortcut

Re: [AlanMexicali] We have 4 Dogs, is that a problem?

Yes I have seen many chihuahua ypes in hotels but medium and large dogs are not seen around. We have 5 dogs now 2 chihuahua types and 3 xoloitzbuintli , one with hair and we never take them on the hotel grounds. We found out that the resorts as a rule do not take the dogs where hotels that are not designed with pool and lots of grass may take them. We have taken the dogs back and forth for 10 years now so we have lots of experience with dogs and hotels but we have heard the story about flees and people sleeping with dogs in more than in one hotel.
Actually there is a place called Las Cascadas in Orizaba which is a resort type hotel that fills up on week-ends, we do not stop there on week ends and they ask us to wait until 8 when the head of housekeeping goes home to go in. She now knows the dogs as she saw us one morning and knows they are in cages at night so she is ok with them but you are right many people are very scared of medium and larger dogs.

Moisheh

Feb 8, 2015, 3:57 PM

Post #9 of 22 (12477 views)

Shortcut

Technically there are real problems in crossing with pets. Most borders do not enforce the rules which are very strict. You need a cert. of health that is less than 10 days old. Some other silly rules as well. The only crossing I know of where thewy take this seriously is Lukeville. They have an AG rep and a vet at the crossing and even take a photo of your dog! Maybe they are worried our pets will pass diseases to the mangy street dogs!

citlali

Feb 8, 2015, 4:05 PM

Post #10 of 22 (12474 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Moisheh] We have 4 Dogs, is that a problem?

When we cross we had all the papers in order I kind of remember that some shots had to be no more than 72 hours old and we had a vet in Arizona vaccinate the dogs and give us a cerificate.
The agents only checked the rabbies but we had everything in order just in case and I
think it is the way to do it if you do not want problems.
If you follow all the rules there should be no problems.

chinagringo

Feb 8, 2015, 4:11 PM

Post #11 of 22 (12473 views)

Shortcut

Providing the officials at your chosen border crossing are following the standard set of rules/regs and not their own personal interpretations.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Mexicanbill

Feb 9, 2015, 11:59 AM

Post #12 of 22 (12433 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] We have 4 Dogs, is that a problem?

Thanks Everyone for your help. We will get the papers in order and hopefully be able to travel through without any problems.

joband

Mar 18, 2015, 11:34 AM

Post #13 of 22 (12172 views)

Shortcut

Hi I am going to be traveling with 3 dogs. My initial plan would have had me arriving today in Puerto Vallarta, but I had to postpone to Nov.
I did a great deal of checking and 3 dogs is the allowable amount without a special permit. It used to be 2. This is flying and from my research flying in is usually stricter than driving. I do not believe you need a broker, just a special permit or pay extra.
Jaltemabay blog in Puerto vallarta has up to date pets in Mexico info.

I have had no problem booking online/finding pet friendly hotels.
(my 3 dogs together weigh less than 30 lbs)
and BTW Mexico DOES accept the 3 year rabies coming into the country.
There is a GREAT deal of misinformation.
The Jaltema Bay blog seems to be current and accurate.

From SAGARPA/SENASICA

If you are transporting one to three pets, the Animal Health Import Certificate process is free of charge. If you are importing four or more pets, the fee of the Import Certificate would be $1,882.22 pesos (this amount may vary in conformance with the Federal Tax Law). This payment can be made using the e5cinco form via bank window or internet.

joband

(This post was edited by joband on Mar 18, 2015, 11:43 AM)

citlali

Mar 18, 2015, 12:38 PM

Post #14 of 22 (12162 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joband] We have 4 Dogs, is that a problem?

please let us know of your experience, i should be very ineresting especially by air.
The law is one thing and what is happening is another.
I know that a friend with 3 cats arriving at the Guadalajara airport had to import one pet and get a broker.
Our 2 year or 3 year rabbies certificates that were less than 72h old were turned down at the border
Your experience may differ so please let us know of what happens.

The reason for the differnt information is that the law is not applied the same way by different agents, everyone living in Mexico knows about that.

(This post was edited by citlali on Mar 18, 2015, 12:46 PM)

joband

Mar 18, 2015, 1:45 PM

Post #15 of 22 (12151 views)

Shortcut

Yes thanks I will try and remember to do that.

I have heard as well that there can be various responses but often if the exact protocol is not followed to a T - the agent may make an issue.
The Jaltemabay has extra details to avoid (theoretically) that.
Very specific statements covering the vaccination and due dates etc..in Spanish and English.
not that that solves it.
The other thing is that it seems by what i see on the Mexican site , if you do not have the health certificate or rabies they will do it right there and then.

The one thing I did notice about the rabies is that unlike other countries which require the vaccination 30 or more days before arrival Mexico does not have that requirement,which of course also follows in line with getting it done on entry.

I can't tell you how many hours I ( and countless others) spent researching this topic, and everywhere you go the info is different and the experience of people is different, The problem in identifying the problems is knowing EXACTLY what documents the traveler has. Any way it sure would be nice to have a straightforward answer and that is why I recommend that link to people as it is all there and more and she keeps it up to date. The more info and documents in spanish and english the more your chance of having no problem is what I have gained from there.

good luck to all travelers with pets!!

citlali

Mar 18, 2015, 4:24 PM

Post #16 of 22 (12138 views)

Shortcut

Yes it would be nice to have an answer and the same answer for all modes of transportation , all borders and all agents.I am sure the rules are the same but they are not enforced the same way and that is when headaches can start.
From my experience, they are more lenient if you drive than if you fly .
The airlines should know the rules and probably do know them but then you can be at the mercy of any agent who decides to be lenient or picky.

robt65

Mar 19, 2015, 9:55 AM

Post #17 of 22 (12103 views)

Shortcut

Hello,

I brought in three large (2 Labs and a Chesapeake Bay Retriever, plus a cat when I crossed alone and absolutely no comment was made, except "can I pet them?"
I also might suggest that since you appear to expect exactness in the way things are done here in Mexico that maybe a lot has changed in the way the government processes the laws here. Although I have been here now for about 7 years and nothing has changed in the pet importation department (by car) since I have been here. By the way, I have also since imported six more Labs over the past five years, and again never asked for any paperwork for them was ever asked to be seen. This was also at three different border crossings.
I also just happened to think that maybe if you are expecting "exactness in the way anything is done here in México, this might not be the country you have imagined (or recalled) in your mind, for México is well known for it's inexactness in all things of a government nature. Remember . . . . . . "the only thing for sure in México, . . . . . . . is that nothing is for sure."
Regards,
Robt65

joband

Mar 19, 2015, 10:14 AM

Post #18 of 22 (12099 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robt65] We have 4 Dogs, is that a problem?

Hi robt65,

actually I do not expect exactness at all. My life is anything but exact.
"nothing is for sure" is pretty much my mantra :-P I'm good with it all.

My reasons for researching and trying to establish regulations are simply to be as prepared as I "can" be.
I think that might be a bit wiser than simply disregarding what might be required. ;-)

As I have mentioned that I have come across many variations I am also, (obviously) prepared for that. I would not just take one set of information and disregard the actual experience of others :-)

and your experience adds to the side that usually it is trouble free.
I wonder how much of it has to do with peoples attitudes and beliefs?
Have you found when you have a pleasant cooperative attitude and expectation of a positive result that it is more likely to be that way?
It is always difficult to express everything in a post.

Thanks for your response.
jo

cbviajero

Mar 19, 2015, 12:25 PM

Post #19 of 22 (12083 views)

Shortcut

As I'm writing this post I can hear more than a dozen dogs barking on the block I live on in Guadalajara,they bark at anybody who passes by,como enfaden,all Mexico needs is more dogs imported by gringos...

(This post was edited by cbviajero on Mar 19, 2015, 12:33 PM)

Mexicanbill

Apr 12, 2015, 7:25 PM

Post #20 of 22 (11849 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cbviajero] We have 4 Dogs, is that a problem?

Barking Dogs, Crowing Roosters, and a borracho on every other block playing music at all hours that is loud enough to make the house shake.....yap, welcome to Mexico....those of us that bring our dogs with us tend to take good care of our pets.

robt65

Apr 23, 2015, 12:29 AM

Post #21 of 22 (11659 views)

Shortcut

Hello joband,
Thanks for the posting of the Jaltemabay information blog. It really does seem complete. Since I will be traveling back NOB with two American Kennel Club Labs and their puppies born here in Mexico, I went to that blog to hopefully gain some information about bringing dogs back into the USA and their pups born in México. I was relieved about seeing the section about USA requirements, until I saw that all that was posted was on importing dogs into Mexico from the USA and not importing dogs into the USA from México. It really is a very thorough site though on importing dogs into Mexico from other countries.
Thanks for the posting.
Regards,
Robt65

joband

Apr 23, 2015, 8:51 AM

Post #22 of 22 (11619 views)

Shortcut

Re: [robt65] We have 4 Dogs, is that a problem?

Hi robt65
Actually if you read through the from USA to Mexico at the very end it has from Mexico to USA but ultimately links to the CDC. I do not think it matters the origin of the dogs.

Importing dogs to the USA

BTW for anyone who may interested I have a small group Pet Flight Nannies that was initially started to help find people who might be looking or offering to add a pet to their ticket. The group rules are strict and limited to nanny wanted/offering, but anyone is welcome.
jo

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4