Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Technical Mexico

johanson / Moderator

Jan 21, 2015, 6:52 PM

Post #1 of 10 (11242 views)

Shortcut

Microsoft School

Can't Post | Private Reply
Microsoft (MSFT) has stores all over the US and Canada. Sadly, I couldn't find any in Mexico, but that might be because of my limited ability to spell in Spanish in Google search).

And guess what? In order to sell more products and perhaps to help all of us who are having a hard time adjusting to Windows 8.1, they are giving free classes at the local shopping centers where they have their Microsoft stores. I went to my first free class today. A young girl less than a third my age answered my questions and helped me better understand what she finds to be a very simple operating system, Windows 8.1.

And gosh it's getting simpler. Maybe this old man might actually learn how to master MSFT Windows 8.1 a day or two before they replace it with MSFT 10 later this year. There will be no charge to upgrade to Windows 10, from 7, 8 or 8.1

More later

(This post was edited by johanson on Jan 22, 2015, 11:28 AM)

rvgringo

Jan 22, 2015, 9:31 AM

Post #2 of 10 (11210 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Microsoft School

Rumor has it that Windows 10 is soon to be available for free. Nine must have tanked.

johanson / Moderator

Jan 22, 2015, 11:33 AM

Post #3 of 10 (11194 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] Microsoft School

Yes it was announced that it would be free for those with windows 7, 8 and, 8.1 for a year after it is introduced.
I'm not sure why they said 8 and 8.1 . I thought if you said Windows 8, that it would be understood. Oh well :)

Riverman

Jan 24, 2015, 2:46 PM

Post #4 of 10 (11153 views)

Shortcut

When I first heard about free upgrades I thought how wonderful, now I can be shut of the hated Vista, but now it looks like it's only "certain versions" of XP, 7, & 8 that will get an upgrade.

73 John

johanson / Moderator

Jan 24, 2015, 3:03 PM

Post #5 of 10 (11153 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Riverman] Microsoft School

I hadn't heard that they were going to let those with XP to upgrade for free. I thought it was Windows 7 and newer
Now to confuse many. I too would like to post

73s Pete (Although it has been years since my latest license expired) I was KD7ION

RickS

Jan 24, 2015, 6:07 PM

Post #6 of 10 (11143 views)

Shortcut

I too have not seen any mention of XP.... only 7, 8 and 8.1

chinagringo

Jan 24, 2015, 6:24 PM

Post #7 of 10 (11141 views)

Shortcut

While I would never claim to be any sort of techie, I have a hard time believing that a machine originally built for XP has the capability of absorbing WINDOWS 10 and performing as designed? Given all the published problems/issues with WINDOWS 8, why would Microsoft be inclined to suggest something as an improvement when it could hurt their reputation even further?
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

johanson / Moderator

Jan 24, 2015, 7:39 PM

Post #8 of 10 (11137 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Microsoft School

I wouldn't want to use it on any setup that doesn't have a touch screen. So I guess that means Windows 8 or 8.1 and up.

Riverman

Jan 26, 2015, 7:35 PM

Post #9 of 10 (11106 views)

Shortcut

My son is beta testing Win10 and is quite impressed so far, I don't have a touch screen so will be sticking to Win7 until he gives me one of his "old" machines, fingers crossed, eh?

John

Lilmsmaggie

Mar 17, 2015, 12:39 PM

Post #10 of 10 (10685 views)

Shortcut

More Win 10 Info:

http://www.cnet.com/...microsoft-windows-10

http://www.techradar.com/...and-features-1029245

http://arstechnica.com/...the-end-of-passwords

Personally, for the time being, I'm sticking with Windows 7.
Dwain (aka Lilmsmaggie)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4