Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > North Pacific Region

gone fishin

Jan 19, 2015, 11:35 AM

Post #1 of 5 (7504 views)

Shortcut

What Property Tax discounts exist in the Mazatlan area?

Can't Post | Private Reply
Can anyone provide information relating to the Property Tax discounts available in Mazatlan. I know you get 10% for paying before the end of Feb. but I have also heard and read about a 50% discount. Depending on who you talk to it is either for Permanent Residents with card,or for all tax payers as an incentive to pay taxes before the end of Feb. How do you apply for this 50% discount or is it already taken off when you go to pay prior to the end of Feb?

Thanks for any information

mazbeach

Jan 19, 2015, 6:47 PM

Post #2 of 5 (7482 views)

Shortcut

Re: [gone fishin] What Property Tax discounts exist in the Mazatlan area?

The 50% discount I believe you are referring to is for maintaining your permanent residence in Mazatlan. You don't have to be RP to do it. An RT is just as valid. You have to go to city hall with specific paper, including your fideicomiso to request it. Once accepted, it is factored into your predial for the next year. Hence, the bill you later receive has already accounted for it. It has nothing to do with paying your tax by the end of February.

There is an additional discount but you have to be a Mexican citizen and over a certain age to receive it.

Something to be aware of, however, is the requirement that your permanent residence is in Mazatlan. Quite a few part-timers have received the 50% discount when they probably shouldn't have. A number of these people then rent out their property to others and additionally haven't reported the income.

chinagringo

Jan 19, 2015, 7:48 PM

Post #3 of 5 (7477 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazbeach] What Property Tax discounts exist in the Mazatlan area?

Well I am truly shocked that Gringos would fail to comply and twist the regulations to fit their "entitled position" in life!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

mazbeach

Jan 20, 2015, 5:28 AM

Post #4 of 5 (7458 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] What Property Tax discounts exist in the Mazatlan area?

They are really playing the system because they know they have the city over a barrel. Outside money from foreign and other tourists (and yes, snow birds are just tourists) is the number three industry here, after agriculture and fishing. If the city comes down too hard they might kill the golden goose. Personally, I would love to see them nail these scoff laws. They don't deserve the discount and they don't pay any income tax, either here or up north.

Marlene / Moderator

Jan 23, 2015, 10:42 PM

Post #5 of 5 (7408 views)

Shortcut

Re: [mazbeach] What Property Tax discounts exist in the Mazatlan area?

The taxes here are so extremely low to start with. No wonder those pot-holes in the streets don't get fixed! :-)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4