Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

esperanza

Jan 15, 2015, 2:51 PM

Post #26 of 33 (6175 views)

Shortcut

Re: [La Isla] Mexican National Chili Cook-Off

| Private Reply
American-style chili (note the spelling, this is not chile) has no resemblance to, for example, carne de cerdo con chile verde or any other kind of Mexican dish. And the chili powder (again, note spelling) that is often used as part of its flavor profile bears no resemblance to Mexican powdered chile.

My Illinois mother made chili from the time she was a bride (1943) until she was no longer feeding a family. In the wartime days, chili was a terrific way to stretch ground meat.

I make chili because Judy loves it, and because it is delicious.

Cincinnati is famous for its chili, as is Texas. Each chili fanatic (and that is truly the correct word) will give you his or her particular AUTHENTIC chili recipe. Texans insist on specific ingredients; midwesterners are more forgiving.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cincinnati_chili
http://www.seriouseats.com/...chili-con-carne.html

My own recipe starts with lard, several kinds of fresh and dried chiles, onions, fresh tomatoes and some tomato sauce, extremely lean ground beef, and a big variety of spices. Those include bay leaf, cumin, oregano, and a pinch or two of cinnamon, among other spices. I don't use chili powder; there's no need for it.

La Isla, have you never had a chili dog or a bowl of red or a 5-way? Qué vida más pobre...

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

La Isla

Jan 15, 2015, 3:46 PM

Post #27 of 33 (6159 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Mexican National Chili Cook-Off

| Private Reply

In Reply To

My own recipe starts with lard, several kinds of fresh and dried chiles, onions, fresh tomatoes and some tomato sauce, extremely lean ground beef, and a big variety of spices. Those include bay leaf, cumin, oregano, and a pinch or two of cinnamon, among other spices. I don't use chili powder; there's no need for it.

La Isla, have you never had a chili dog or a bowl of red or a 5-way? Qué vida más pobre...

No, esperanza I've never had a chili dog or a bowl of red or a 5-way (whatever these last things are), but I've had (and will continue to have) a rich life! :-)

chris cooper

Jan 17, 2015, 3:22 PM

Post #28 of 33 (6116 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To
As a Spanish teacher, you must have heard that well known phrase, “Chile con carne, por favor“.
I have no idea how it vanished from my earlier reply.

In Mexico, you would hear, carne con chile and it could be a number of different guisados.

I live in Mexico City and have never heard of "carne con chile" or seen it offered on restaurant menus or for sale at food stands on the street. Maybe it's a regional difference in how "guisados" are referred to. Of course, "tacos de guisado" are popular here, and I have enjoyed eating them from time to time.

I guess you don't get out much. Carne (de puerco o de res) con chile is a most ubiquitous dish in this country not excluding the DF. And it appears you are not very familiar with the word guisados. Guisados (guisos) are food preparations similar to a stew, usually a meat of some kind simmered in a sauce. From the above mentioned carnes to mole to cochinita pibil. Whether they are served as tacos or plated alone.

La Isla

Jan 18, 2015, 9:20 AM

Post #29 of 33 (6071 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chris cooper] Mexican National Chili Cook-Off

| Private Reply

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To
As a Spanish teacher, you must have heard that well known phrase, “Chile con carne, por favor“.
I have no idea how it vanished from my earlier reply.

In Mexico, you would hear, carne con chile and it could be a number of different guisados.

I live in Mexico City and have never heard of "carne con chile" or seen it offered on restaurant menus or for sale at food stands on the street. Maybe it's a regional difference in how "guisados" are referred to. Of course, "tacos de guisado" are popular here, and I have enjoyed eating them from time to time.

I guess you don't get out much. Carne (de puerco o de res) con chile is a most ubiquitous dish in this country not excluding the DF. And it appears you are not very familiar with the word guisados. Guisados (guisos) are food preparations similar to a stew, usually a meat of some kind simmered in a sauce. From the above mentioned carnes to mole to cochinita pibil. Whether they are served as tacos or plated alone.

Wow, you don't know me at all, but how could you since we've never met! I eat out a lot in my neighborhood since I'm not that fond of cooking. None of the modest eateries in my barrio have ever had "carne con chile" on the menu. Yes, I know what "guisados" are. I enjoy tacos de guisado but am aware they can be eaten sans tortillas.

(This post was edited by La Isla on Jan 18, 2015, 9:21 AM)

chris cooper

Jan 18, 2015, 9:57 AM

Post #30 of 33 (6056 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To

Wow, you don't know me at all, but how could you since we've never met! I eat out a lot in my neighborhood since I'm not that fond of cooking. None of the modest eateries in my barrio have ever had "carne con chile" on the menu. Yes, I know what "guisados" are. I enjoy tacos de guisado but am aware they can be eaten sans tortillas.

Although it is found in restaurants and fondas throughout the country, needless to say it happens to be a very common dish eaten at home. So while you may not have encountered it on the menu of eateries you frequent, it is a very well known dish by that name.

http://cocinamexicanadepily.blogspot.mx/...carne-con-chile.html

http://cocina.facilisimo.com/...n-chile_1154979.html

http://mexicolindoyquerido.com.mx/...amp;directory=100001

La Isla

Jan 18, 2015, 10:11 AM

Post #31 of 33 (6055 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Well, Chris, that's good to know. Unlike those forum members who have a Mexican pareja and thus can enjoy Mexican food at home, that's not the case for me.

chris cooper

Jan 18, 2015, 10:29 AM

Post #32 of 33 (6049 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To
Well, Chris, that's good to know. Unlike those forum members who have a Mexican pareja and thus can enjoy Mexican food at home, that's not the case for me.

Not sure why someone needs to have a Mexican in the family to know about Mexican food but OK. I guess I should have said I guess you don't get "in" much.

La Isla

Jan 18, 2015, 10:39 AM

Post #33 of 33 (6044 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To

In Reply To

Not sure why someone needs to have a Mexican in the family to know about Mexican food but OK. I guess I should have said I guess you don't get "in" much.

I mentioned eating in a Mexican home because in a previous post you said that carne con chile is a "very common dish eaten at home". Since I don't cook much Mexican-style food at home, my knowledge of Mexican cuisine is mostly limited to what the local restaurants offer on their menus.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4