Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

Mexicanbill

Jan 5, 2015, 11:02 AM

Post #1 of 19 (10497 views)

Shortcut

Window Sticker on US cars entering Mexico

Can't Post | Private Reply
I plan to order the window sticker on line to have it when we cross the boarder. Is it possible to get it for more than 180 days as I am not sure when we will be bringing it back to the states if we are not in a rush?
Chef William aka MexicanBill

rvgringo

Jan 5, 2015, 12:07 PM

Post #2 of 19 (10490 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Window Sticker on US cars entering Mexico

It seems that the poster may think that it is OK to leave the car in Mexico while they fly off for awhile. IT IS NOT OK.
When a tourist departs Mexico, the tourist permit becomes invalid. Therefore, the Importada Temporal for the car is also invalid, as is the Mexican insurance. So, the car becomes in Mexico illegally. It does not become magically legal again when the owner/importer returns with a new FMM tourist permit. It remains illegal and subject to confiscation and all the penalties for lack of insurance; like an accident that kills someone....think Mexican jail for a very long and expensive stay. Oh, yeah: The deposit is forfeit the moment you step out of Mexico without your car, or when the 180 days expires, whichever comes first.
So, the really short answer is that the car must leave Mexico whenever the tourist leaves. No exceptions.

Rolly

Jan 5, 2015, 12:20 PM

Post #3 of 19 (10487 views)

Shortcut

Re: Window Sticker on US cars entering Mexico

Based on his other posts, the OP is planning to get a Residente Temporal. Upon receipt of the Residente, he can notify Aduana to change the status of his car, so it becomes legal so long as he is a Residente Temporal. More details here: http://rollybrook.com/car-in-M%C3%A9xico.htm

Rolly Pirate

Mexicanbill

Jan 5, 2015, 12:37 PM

Post #4 of 19 (10480 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Window Sticker on US cars entering Mexico

Thanks everyone, Rolly you are exactly correct...We are selling the house in the states. My wife owns property in Mexico and last year we remodeled the place we are staying in Mexico. Because we are entering Mexico at the end of Feb. and the car is not completely paid off until mid-Sept. I was hoping I could stretch keeping the car a little longer, however doing it your way will have the same result. I understand that there is an office in Puerto Vallarta where I can make it a "Mexican car" once I have the title clear. We are not planning of leaving back to the US unless it is for legal matters or to visit family sometime down line.

RickS

Jan 5, 2015, 6:16 PM

Post #5 of 19 (10452 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Mexicanbill] Window Sticker on US cars entering Mexico

" I understand that there is an office in Puerto Vallarta where I can make it a "Mexican car" once I have the title clear."

If what you are saying is that you think that you can bring a US plated car down to PV with a Termporary Permit (TIP), and then at some point later 'make it Mexican' in PV, be wary. That's called Nationalizing a vehicle, which can only be a NAFTA car and can only be done at the border (AFTER you or your broker officially EXPORT it from the US via the US Border Patrol offices). These days anyone saying you can do otherwise should be checked out 6 ways from Sunday.

P.S. Have you checked with your car lender to see if they are going to permit you to take 'their' car out of the country?

(This post was edited by RickS on Jan 6, 2015, 1:32 PM)

Mexicanbill

Jan 5, 2015, 7:22 PM

Post #6 of 19 (10441 views)

Shortcut

Thanks for the help. This is the same car that they allowed me to take to PV for 6 months on the last trip. I have not asked them for the letter yet, but I didn't question if they would let me, because now I owe a whole lot less than I did the last time they allowed it. I will call them tomorrow. I will question making the car into a Mexican car before doing anything. It seems that moving to Mexico is not really as easy as I had hoped even if my wife is a Mexican citizen. Sounds like I will be better off to return to car to the states, sell it and fly back to PV and buy local.

RickS

Jan 5, 2015, 8:32 PM

Post #7 of 19 (10435 views)

Shortcut

Yes, many people are finding that to be best in the long run.

playaboy

Jan 5, 2015, 11:37 PM

Post #8 of 19 (10423 views)

Shortcut

Just formally export/import at the border under your wife's name. It is not that difficult. Then you will have a legal Mexican car.

RickS

Jan 6, 2015, 10:07 AM

Post #9 of 19 (10392 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] Window Sticker on US cars entering Mexico

..and this can be done even if it's a "J" car (I don't know if/that it is)? Does the wife's name have to be on the title.... oh, wait they may not have a title as the finance company probably has that.

playaboy

Jan 6, 2015, 11:37 AM

Post #10 of 19 (10378 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
..and this can be done even if it's a "J" car (I don't know if/that it is)? Does the wife's name have to be on the title.... oh, wait they may not have a title as the finance company probably has that.

Sure there are "if's", who has the title the big one.

I am suggesting that William contact a broker as another alternative. Importing is not hard, if you meet the requirements. He is going to be at the border anyways and that is the only fully legal place to do it. Virtual imports were never fully legal.

rvgringo

Jan 6, 2015, 1:18 PM

Post #11 of 19 (10365 views)

Shortcut

The car would have to be owned by the OP, not a bank or finance company, to be exported from the USA and Imported to Mexico. It would also have to be 8-9 years old and manufactured in a NAFTA country.
Then, the OP would have to spend three days, or more, at the border; once the huge backlog is completed....if ever.
The cost would be around $2000 USD plus expenses for an undetermined time at the border.
Then, the car would have to be taken to its destination, where application for state license plates would begin....

The OP has the right idea: Sell it NoB and buy another car in Mexico. No heavy expenses, full insurance is possible, no fee or deposit at the border, easy travel in either country, can be sold in Mexico, parts and service available in Mexico, etc.

playaboy

Jan 7, 2015, 11:35 AM

Post #12 of 19 (10304 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] Window Sticker on US cars entering Mexico

In Reply To
The car would have to be owned by the OP, not a bank or finance company, to be exported from the USA and Imported to Mexico. It would also have to be 8-9 years old and manufactured in a NAFTA country.
Then, the OP would have to spend three days, or more, at the border; once the huge backlog is completed....if ever.
The cost would be around $2000 USD plus expenses for an undetermined time at the border.
Then, the car would have to be taken to its destination, where application for state license plates would begin....

The OP has the right idea: Sell it NoB and buy another car in Mexico. No heavy expenses, full insurance is possible, no fee or deposit at the border, easy travel in either country, can be sold in Mexico, parts and service available in Mexico, etc.

That has not been my experience legally importing cars. Last year, I completely processed my van in 6 hours. Last Oct, Hunteradvisor processed her van in 5 hours when there was supposed to be a huge backlog and no importing. Has it been your experience that it ALWAYS takes 3 days?

It cost me $835 USA total. Hunteradvisor costs $1250. Every car is different and brokers fee's are different. The only TRUE COST anyone can get is from the broker you choose to work with.

Maybe you missed this past thread. http://www.mexconnect.com/cgi-bin/forums/gforum.cgi?post=202711;search_string=export;#202711

Folks, did you know that most Mexicans will pay more for USA used cars that are legally exported/imported than for the same car that lived its whole life in Mexico? Back in the early 90's, I had a lot of former Mexican employees that bought a car once a year, exported from the USA than imported to Mexico, drove them home to Jalisco or Michoacan and then sold the cars for a profit. Those were my first experiences on this whole nationalization process.

If you are smart about it, you will not lose money on nationalizing a car when you decide to resell it later. About 15% of the cars sold at the Guadalajara used car tiangus are recent nationalized cars. Those sellers are making profits.

Folks, if in Mexico, the only hard thing about importing a vehicle is the drive to the border, especially the last 150 miles up and then 150 miles back thru the border area narco country. Once at the border, the rest of the process can be fast and easy.

RV, instead of frightening people with your third hand "expertise" on these vehicle issues, drive to the border and talk to some brokers, CBP, and Aduana. You live less than an hour away. Then post what they say. Now that would be helpful for everyone.

(This post was edited by RickS on Jan 8, 2015, 10:00 AM)

rvgringo

Jan 7, 2015, 1:41 PM

Post #13 of 19 (10281 views)

Shortcut

The new scenario includes the new exportation from the USA requirement and the associated expenses of that process. Permanent importation seems to be backlogged for an unknown amount of time and also very restricted in the age of the vehicles allowed.
It seems hardly worth the effort any more, but you will be the one to determine that, as it is/has been your business.
I am not here to argue with you; just to indicate points for folks to consider and confirm before even thinking about permananet importation vs. buying a car in Mexico.

chinagringo

Jan 7, 2015, 7:33 PM

Post #14 of 19 (10254 views)

Shortcut

Might it be helpful to travelers making inquiries if suggestions and opinions were based upon experiences more current?
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

playaboy

Jan 8, 2015, 7:15 AM

Post #15 of 19 (10232 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
The new scenario includes the new exportation from the USA requirement and the associated expenses of that process. Permanent importation seems to be backlogged for an unknown amount of time and also very restricted in the age of the vehicles allowed.
It seems hardly worth the effort any more, but you will be the one to determine that, as it is/has been your business.
I am not here to argue with you; just to indicate points for folks to consider and confirm before even thinking about permananet importation vs. buying a car in Mexico.

RV, I don't have a business importing vehicles. In fact the only vehicle I imported in the last year was my own.

I buy cars, cancel TIP's and remove them from Mexico for people who can't or don't want to drive NOB. It is more a hobby than a business. Buying these cars has allowed me to spend more time with my Mom this last year. I have only bought about 15 cars out of the 50 I have looked at lakeside in the last year or so..

If I was a business, my "Mission Statement" would read this

1) to assist Americans (haven't been able to help Canadians) in complying with Mexican and USA laws and regulations regarding vehicles.

2) To steer people away from slimy facilitators that steal peoples money or use not totally legal practices.

3) To keep people from stepping into a pile of legal SH-T.

Everything I post is from personal experiences or from conversations I have had with brokers and CBP officials in DC..

(This post was edited by playaboy on Jan 8, 2015, 12:00 PM)

cbviajero

Jan 8, 2015, 7:50 AM

Post #16 of 19 (10226 views)

Shortcut

For what it's worth Playaboy has been very generous sharing his first hand knowledge of this subject with myself and others both on the open forum and via PMs and he's never made me a sales pitch.

rvgringo

Jan 8, 2015, 9:04 AM

Post #17 of 19 (10210 views)

Shortcut

Re: [cbviajero] Window Sticker on US cars entering Mexico

I have no argument with Playaboy and appreciate his clarification.
Thanks

Mexicanbill

Feb 15, 2015, 8:47 PM

Post #18 of 19 (9905 views)

Shortcut

Well I got the sticker for this trip, will return to the states in August and sell the car. I will also purchase a Mexican car while there. My Nephew is in the used car business in Vallarta so I will ask him to give me a hand. Don't need anything to classy, something with 4 wheel drive that will get us around.............Love to keep the Suburban but not if it cost me a couple of grand to make it a Mexican car.

sioux4noff

Feb 15, 2015, 9:36 PM

Post #19 of 19 (9895 views)

Shortcut

You may find that paying to import it is actually your best choice. Think about cost, convenience, etc and just do what works best for you.
We sold our car to Playaboy and bought a new car here.
But then we have also done like him, and bought a US plated car here, returned it to the US and cancelled the TIP then transferred the title to our daughter.
Playaboy has always been helpful to us, offering advice.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4