Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

Mexicanbill

Jan 5, 2015, 10:45 AM

Post #1 of 8 (6455 views)

Shortcut

Eagel Pass to Puerto Vallarta with Dogs

Can't Post | Private Reply
We are traveling to Puerto Vallarta in mid to late Feb. and plan to cross at Eagle Pass. We have three smaller dogs, one Chihuahua and 2 are chihuahua/Jack Russel mix. We want to stay on Pay roads as much as possible and will not travel after dark or before daylight. (bad experience on last years trip) We are looking for hotel/motels along the route that will accept dogs. Is there any new road conditions we should know about in the past year?
Chef William aka MexicanBill

RickS

Jan 5, 2015, 11:42 AM

Post #2 of 8 (6451 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Mexicanbill] Eagel Pass to Puerto Vallarta with Dogs

"Are there any new road conditions we should know about in the past year?"

Hard to tell exactly what you are asking, but.....

Crossing at Eagle Pass you know that you will not be on 'Pay Roads' until you get to outside of Saltillo. From there, if it were me, I'd continue on a great free road 54 down to Zacatecas, then on toll over to Aguascaliente, then toll to Guadalajara, then toll to 'almost Tepic', then down to PV on free 200. You traveled much of this route last time.

If from Saltillo you want to stay on toll roads you would not take 54 to Zacatecas but rather take cuota 57 down to San Luis Potosi and then 2-lane toll 80 over towards Lagos de Morino continuing on toll to Guadalajara. From there the rest of the trip is the same as above.

Can't help you with the dogs.....

Rolly

Jan 5, 2015, 11:52 AM

Post #3 of 8 (6447 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Eagel Pass to Puerto Vallarta with Dogs

Most motels will accept dogs. Most hotels will not.

Rolly Pirate

Mexicanbill

Jan 5, 2015, 12:48 PM

Post #4 of 8 (6437 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Eagel Pass to Puerto Vallarta with Dogs

Thanks Rick, I was looking for the information 18 months ago but couldn't find it.. What I am trying to avoid is a section of road we ending up on when we left Mexico in March last year. Somehow, after leaving Largo de Morino, and heading for the boarder, we ended up on a two lane hwy that wound over a mountain range that was very steep with bad curves, and actually pretty scary. I don't remember much about it except there were red lines when declining that would direct a driver that lost his/her brakes to a kind of ramp they then could try to use to stop their car. Not exactly a place I want to revisit.

Mexicanbill

Jan 5, 2015, 12:49 PM

Post #5 of 8 (6435 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Eagel Pass to Puerto Vallarta with Dogs

Thanks Rolly, that is good to know and will help a lot in the planning..

los arboles resident

Jan 7, 2015, 12:43 PM

Post #6 of 8 (6373 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Mexicanbill] Eagel Pass to Puerto Vallarta with Dogs

We usually stay in San Luis at a no name motel on the way down, The Grand Motel is great and value priced with two back to back sessions.
The Laquinta advertise that dogs are accepted but its only in the US locations. Do not try the La Quinta in San Luis with dogs as they will refuse you.
When we leave in the spring we stay in Matehuala, S.L.P. at the Las Palmas Midway Inn. http://laspalmasmidwayinn.com/en/. It has an excellent cactus garden/walkway garden to walk dogs around and the restaurant is top notch.
Makes for a bit longer day traveling on the way back NOB crossing at Laredo around noon.
Be careful approaching Matehuala for speed limit changes.

bowmanmt

Jan 8, 2015, 5:09 AM

Post #7 of 8 (6337 views)

Shortcut

Re: [los arboles resident] Eagel Pass to Puerto Vallarta with Dogs

We also have our JR terrier with us on our trips in the past to PV, we always go through Columbia crossing. We stay at the Casa Grande hotel in Lagos de Morena. very upscale and they do accept pets. Very safe hotel.

wilpharm

Jan 20, 2015, 3:32 PM

Post #8 of 8 (6235 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bowmanmt] Eagel Pass to Puerto Vallarta with Dogs

Bowmann..do you have any special reason for crossing at COlumbia??
sure seems out of the way to me..I sure would not be adverse to crossing there if there was a definite benefit…Laredo has always been pretty quick unless its the holidays & its loaded with Mexicans going back & forth...

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4