Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

jwallacq

Dec 31, 2014, 10:49 AM

Post #1 of 2 (10532 views)

Shortcut

Need birth certificate to bring in relative's car.

Can't Post | Private Reply
I just wanted to share this unpleasant experience and, hopefully, prevent somebody else from making the same (nearly disastrous) mistake that I made:

I recently tried to come to Mexico with my daughter's car. I thought that I had researched all the requirements carefully, and I thought that I had all the necessary papers: ( Registration, Title, Notarized letter from her giving me permission to take the car to Mexico, and a notarized power-of-attorney form from her authorizing me to transfer title of the car to anybody (including myself)).

So (after driving 1800 miles across the US) I crossed the border at Cd. Acunya at about 7 PM, and they blindsided me by demanding a copy of her birth certificate! They had absolutely no interest in the notarized permission letter -- even though the letter specifically stated that I was her father).

To make a long story short: I had to spend the night sleeping in my car in the Aduana parking lot, and ended up wasting 18 hours plus an enormous amount of time money, and aggravation while my daughter back in the US dug out a copy of the birth certificate and FAX'ed it to a local papeleria. .... And it was just dumb luck that she happened to be at home that night, and that she was able to locate the original on short notice.

Oh! And I tried going back to the office after midnight when there was a new shift on duty, pretending that I was there for the first time. On this second attempt, I took the original Title and the PoA form, but it didn't help. This time, they didn't say anything about Birth Certificates; instead they insisted that the *back* of the Title had to be notarized. This was even more bizarre because (at least in Montana) when you buy or sell a car with a private party, the *front* of the Title has to get notarized; the back is only for dealers.

++++++++++++++++++++

P.S. >>
Other than that, the whole trip was uneventful: Just a shade over 5 days (126 hours) from Billings, Montana to Merida, Yucatan .... Road conditions excellent in northern Mexico, acceptable in the south .... no shootouts with banditos or narcos .... no cows on the highway ... no giant potholes or killer topes .... no games of 'chicken' with doble-semi-remolques ... only one slow-moving pickup truck with burned out tail-lights.

AlanMexicali

Dec 31, 2014, 11:44 AM

Post #2 of 2 (10522 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jwallacq] Need birth certificate to bring in relative's car.

Can't Post | Private Reply

In Reply To
I just wanted to share this unpleasant experience and, hopefully, prevent somebody else from making the same (nearly disastrous) mistake that I made:

I recently tried to come to Mexico with my daughter's car. I thought that I had researched all the requirements carefully, and I thought that I had all the necessary papers: ( Registration, Title, Notarized letter from her giving me permission to take the car to Mexico, and a notarized power-of-attorney form from her authorizing me to transfer title of the car to anybody (including myself)).

So (after driving 1800 miles across the US) I crossed the border at Cd. Acunya at about 7 PM, and they blindsided me by demanding a copy of her birth certificate! They had absolutely no interest in the notarized permission letter -- even though the letter specifically stated that I was her father).

To make a long story short: I had to spend the night sleeping in my car in the Aduana parking lot, and ended up wasting 18 hours plus an enormous amount of time money, and aggravation while my daughter back in the US dug out a copy of the birth certificate and FAX'ed it to a local papeleria. .... And it was just dumb luck that she happened to be at home that night, and that she was able to locate the original on short notice.

Oh! And I tried going back to the office after midnight when there was a new shift on duty, pretending that I was there for the first time. On this second attempt, I took the original Title and the PoA form, but it didn't help. This time, they didn't say anything about Birth Certificates; instead they insisted that the *back* of the Title had to be notarized. This was even more bizarre because (at least in Montana) when you buy or sell a car with a private party, the *front* of the Title has to get notarized; the back is only for dealers.

++++++++++++++++++++

P.S. >>
Other than that, the whole trip was uneventful: Just a shade over 5 days (126 hours) from Billings, Montana to Merida, Yucatan .... Road conditions excellent in northern Mexico, acceptable in the south .... no shootouts with banditos or narcos .... no cows on the highway ... no giant potholes or killer topes .... no games of 'chicken' with doble-semi-remolques ... only one slow-moving pickup truck with burned out tail-lights.

I probably would her crossed back into the US and driven to another crossing in that case.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4