Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Central Highlands

kathleengam

Dec 27, 2014, 3:24 PM

Post #1 of 7 (7908 views)

Shortcut

Red birds in Queretaro

Can't Post | Private Reply
Does anyone happen to know what those little black and red birds are that we have around Queretaro? I found a picture on-line (attached...I hope) but it didn't give a name.
Attachments: little red bird.jpg (84.2 KB)

bournemouth

Dec 27, 2014, 3:36 PM

Post #2 of 7 (7908 views)

Shortcut

Re: [kathleengam] Red birds in Queretaro

Vermilion flycatcher:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vermilion_flycatcher

kathleengam

Dec 27, 2014, 4:16 PM

Post #3 of 7 (7904 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Red birds in Queretaro

Thank you!

esperanza

Dec 27, 2014, 5:08 PM

Post #4 of 7 (7896 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Red birds in Queretaro

When we lived in Morelia, a vermilion flycatcher came to our garden every afternoon at about four o'clock. We named him Rudy and watched him dart and dive after all the insects in the yard. I loved watching him and still miss him, after four years in Mexico City. Gorgeous, agile birds.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

kathleengam

Dec 28, 2014, 6:50 AM

Post #5 of 7 (7872 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Red birds in Queretaro

We are enjoying watching these birds. One shows up every morning and even though it's cold outside, we have our morning coffee out on the patio so we can watch the birds. We put out bird seed but they ignored it. Now I know why.

citlali

Dec 28, 2014, 7:55 AM

Post #6 of 7 (7863 views)

Shortcut

Re: [kathleengam] Red birds in Queretaro

I found one that was hurt in the garden and pickd him up and put him in a large parrot cage to protect him from cats and dogs. The vet told me these birds cannot live in captivity and have to catch the insects in flight. I put insects in the cage dead and alive, he did not touch them, I put seeds and fruit, hoping for fruit flies, same thing. The only thing he ate was chili piquin which I noticed they eat . He ate lots f them but only lasted 3 days. On the third day he died.

kathleengam

Dec 28, 2014, 8:58 AM

Post #7 of 7 (7856 views)

Shortcut

Re: [citlali] Red birds in Queretaro

In Reply To
I found one that was hurt in the garden and pickd him up and put him in a large parrot cage to protect him from cats and dogs. The vet told me these birds cannot live in captivity and have to catch the insects in flight. I put insects in the cage dead and alive, he did not touch them, I put seeds and fruit, hoping for fruit flies, same thing. The only thing he ate was chili piquin which I noticed they eat . He ate lots f them but only lasted 3 days. On the third day he died.[/reply

Aawwww, sad story.]

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4