Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

WilliamG

Dec 27, 2014, 2:41 PM

Post #1 of 12 (8245 views)

Shortcut

12 Best Breakfast Restaurants at Lake Chapala

| Private Reply
This is a link to a list of the 12 Best Breakfast Restaurants at Lake Chapala. Sometimes it is hard to know which ones are open for breakfast. The list provides links to full reviews.

http://lakechapalarestaurantguide.blogspot.mx/p/blog-page_7.html

Gringal

Dec 28, 2014, 7:58 AM

Post #2 of 12 (8190 views)

Shortcut

Re: [WilliamG] 12 Best Breakfast Restaurants at Lake Chapala

| Private Reply
You missed quite a few, but the general message was clear enough.

WilliamG

Dec 28, 2014, 8:46 AM

Post #3 of 12 (8176 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] 12 Best Breakfast Restaurants at Lake Chapala

| Private Reply
The article is not about every possible breakfast place lakeside, rather it is about twelve of what we consider to be the best. These are our simply our 12 favorite breakfast cafes. We have created these reviews and lists because we got some bad recommendations and terrible directions when we first arrived and spent the first month here trying to recover from the food at some of the "favorite" places recommended on forums. These 12 places have good food, decent prices and are clean.

If you have a list of favorites you want to post, why don't you do that? I would be interested to read it.

Chapala Payaso

Dec 28, 2014, 9:31 AM

Post #4 of 12 (8170 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To
The article is not about every possible breakfast place lakeside, rather it is about twelve of what we consider to be the best. These are our simply our 12 favorite breakfast cafes. We have created these reviews and lists because we got some bad recommendations and terrible directions when we first arrived and spent the first month here trying to recover from the food at some of the "favorite" places recommended on forums. These 12 places have good food, decent prices and are clean.

If you have a list of favorites you want to post, why don't you do that? I would be interested to read it.

I find it easier to just add Salvador's to your list. Besides I don't know your palate. I have seen restaurants raved over that are over priced, short in service, and with food of mediocre quality. I know only of a couple of the places you list and find them satisfactory.

WilliamG

Dec 28, 2014, 10:42 AM

Post #5 of 12 (8156 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Chapala Payaso] 12 Best Breakfast Restaurants at Lake Chapala

| Private Reply
We know a lot of expats who like Salvador's because the price is right and the food is familiar. I understand that.

We ate there and thought the food was mediocre, the atmosphere like a school cafeteria, and the service rushed. We did not go back. Reasonable prices are a criteria for us, cheapness is not. I would rather pay a little more for a really excellent meal and go out less often. Our palates? Good food, prepared well, a pleasant environment, attentive service, reasonable price, clean bathrooms.
This is the minimum. If the staff and owner go out of their way to provide something extra for their patrons, then even better. There are some Sunday brunch places I may add in a future article, but did not in this one because the attempt was to provide a basic list of decent places to eat breakfast for the visitor to Lake Chapala that are open just about every day. As I mentioned earlier, some of the recommendations we got as newcomers were simply awful, and there was one - in Chapala - recommended by the information desk at LCS - that made us sick for ten days.

www.lakechapalarestaurantguide.blogspot.com is our effort to provide reviews of local restaurants from people who have actually eaten there, with pictures of the food we and our friends ate, our comments on the food and service and basic directions from an easy to identify landmark.

playaboy

Dec 28, 2014, 11:55 AM

Post #6 of 12 (8145 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I would like some recommendations for "brunch". Do you have any?

WilliamG

Dec 28, 2014, 12:38 PM

Post #7 of 12 (8139 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] 12 Best Breakfast Restaurants at Lake Chapala

| Private Reply
I recommend Ritchie 88, which is a breakfast and brunch café, during the week, and on Sunday's, Roberto's has a brunch which is quite nice.

Gringal

Dec 28, 2014, 1:14 PM

Post #8 of 12 (8132 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I would be much more impressed with the blogspot if the writer stuck to the subject of food. Pushing a non-food agenda casts serious doubt on the validity of the review.

As for breakfast, there is a new crepe place on the Ajijic waterfront run by a French couple: La Gourmandaise Francais. Definitely different and well worth a visit. Next door, Maria Isobel offers a Sunday buffet brunch, for those who like a lake view with their food.

(This post was edited by Gringal on Dec 28, 2014, 1:23 PM)

WilliamG

Dec 28, 2014, 2:14 PM

Post #9 of 12 (8115 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
There is no agenda besides good food, pleasant clean environment, and reasonable prices.

Gringal

Dec 28, 2014, 2:54 PM

Post #10 of 12 (8104 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
This quote is from the website re La Mision:

"La Mision recently opened their doors to guests, who are invited to enjoy an excellent meal in an elegant setting while doing good for the community.

La Mission is a different kind of restaurant in that it really is on a “mission” to serve the community. Their profits go towards helping feed the poor and homebound living in the barrios along Lake Chapala.

The restaurant does this by working to change the lives of single mothers with young children who have no other means of support.

They help fund job training and education programs to enable these mothers to become self-supporting. La Mision proudly displays pictures of the families that they help by the front door so you know where their money is going. But, don't think that because of their charitable focus that La Mision is a soup kitchen. It is quite the opposite. Rather, it is an upscale, gourmet restaurant in a classically refined setting. "

I rest my case.

WilliamG

Dec 28, 2014, 4:44 PM

Post #11 of 12 (8084 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

Gringal, this excerpt from the restaurant review (which is pretty good writing, if I do say so myself) is all true. I stand by it 100%. Do you know why? It is because it is a re-statement of what the restaurant owners, themselves, say about their restaurant. They state that their mission is to provide work, training and support for the poor women and children in the community. This is not my opinion, it is the stated mission of the restaurant. That you cannot tell the difference between the author of the review and the subject of the review answers a lot of questions about what you have written here and on other boards - which is obviously the result of your failure to interpret correctly what you read. I am not promoting the restaurant because of their mission. I like La Mision for their food and the nice atmosphere (have you been there?) and was also re stating what the owners have said about their raison d'etre. That is all. What I know about them is what I read in the menu - nothing more. There is no personal agenda. If I had not liked the food, I would not have reviewed them - I don't review the bad restaurants, only the ones I can recommend. The food is good - and we have eaten there a number of times. Their motives are honorable, which I respect, based on their own statements. Roberto's Restaurant held a fundraiser for Hope House, which you also have denounced in previous posts. Do you suspect their motives as well, or is your personal vendetta only against La Mision?

chinagringo

Dec 28, 2014, 5:46 PM

Post #12 of 12 (8072 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Oh for Pete's sake! What the heck is the definition of a restaurant and its place in the community? Prepare a decent meal for the target audience, provide enjoyable service and charge prices commensurate with the package? In my 67 years, I cannot think of a single instance where a social cause has impressed me and I could give a damn if the money I spend at a given establishment goes towards some "feel good endeavor".

And since when, who is allowed to use the term "best" for anything? Are you a trained and vetted food critic? What a pompous position to take! It seems that the north shore of Lake Chapala gets rid of one and immediately another tries to step in his place. I would venture a guess that I have written reviews and commented on more restaurants in both Mexico and the US than these new want-a -bees and I certainly don't take the position that I am a know it all. How about furnishing unrated and unbiased info on a restaurant and let other make up their minds whether it might appeal to them and then let them try out an establishment to see how it fits their personal lifestyle and desires?
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4