Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

heff

Dec 19, 2014, 8:02 AM

Post #1 of 8 (4508 views)

Shortcut

Toll casita bandits

Can't Post | Private Reply
I drove on 180d / 145d near Minatitlan recently and at two toll casitas we encountered groups of locals who had taken over the collection of tolls. Approximately 12 locals would be grouped around the toll collection area and begin waving us into one toll lane or another and try to collect the toll money from us. They were very active and tried to intimidate us to pay them even though they were not in the toll booth. The tool booths were not manned by official toll takers even though the boards with the different toll levels were still functioning. The truck drivers seemed to be familiar with the scam and just rolled through but cars were slowing and they even tried to place the plastic orange barrels in our path. Very scary at the time. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it a regular scam? I would love some feedback on this. Also, several local armed police officers were watching this scene from further up the toll area.

rvgringo

Dec 19, 2014, 10:06 AM

Post #2 of 8 (4482 views)

Shortcut

Re: [heff] Toll casita bandits

It is a fairly common form of protest in Mexico and is non-violent. The protestors take the money which was due the government and use it for their transportation and expenses. They also commandeer buses and trucks for the purpose.

esperanza

Dec 19, 2014, 11:41 AM

Post #3 of 8 (4471 views)

Shortcut

Re: [heff] Toll casita bandits

Just FYI: a toll booth is a caseta, not a casita.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

(This post was edited by esperanza on Dec 20, 2014, 9:52 PM)

La Isla

Dec 20, 2014, 5:39 PM

Post #4 of 8 (4382 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] Toll casita bandits

I wouldn't call them bandits, but neither would I call them idealistic protestors, especially when they hijack buses to transport themselves to their various political protests. Just call me cynical . . .

chinagringo

Dec 20, 2014, 6:19 PM

Post #5 of 8 (4377 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Toll casita bandits

Does one still get the insurance included when paying the toll to these "entrepreneurs"?
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

AlanMexicali

Dec 20, 2014, 7:06 PM

Post #6 of 8 (4371 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Toll casita bandits

In Reply To
Does one still get the insurance included when paying the toll to these "entrepreneurs"?

No. The reciept you get for that stretch of the cuota gives you Green Angel assistance. No reciept no free service.

chinagringo

Dec 22, 2014, 9:01 AM

Post #7 of 8 (4281 views)

Shortcut

Re: [AlanMexicali] Toll casita bandits

If you are paying the amount required for that section of cuota - why wouldn't you receive the insurance?
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

citlali

Dec 22, 2014, 9:16 AM

Post #8 of 8 (4278 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Toll casita bandits

you are not paying the toll to the caseta and do not get a receipt so no insurrance. The "toll " chrfed is usually less than the regular toll. Just got back from a trip to Oaxaca and several casetas had been taken over, nothing scary about it . This time the 75 peso tol was 50 pesos and it is usually the type of discount offered..

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4