Forums  > General > General Forum

Intercasa

Dec 17, 2014, 9:03 PM

Post #1 of 14 (7507 views)

Shortcut

Car Importation Update December 2014

Can't Post | Private Reply
With all the rumor and speculation out there, I thought I would share information that SAT has just published regarding vehicle importations. This is information that SAT is promoting and might put to rest some of the speculation going around verbally and on web boards.
SAT provides the following link for their slideshow (in Spanish) with the rules, it is titled What Vehicles can be Imported. http://www.slideshare.net/satmx/qu-vehculos-pueden-importarse
I will list the highlights here. I do not do vehicle importations but have helped people verify them and have sprung them and their vehicles from jail / impound due to fraudulent acts of people offering import services. My advice is to only nationalize as a last resort and always calculate cost to benefit ratio where nationalizing makes sense for a very few.
Now back to the info...
What vehicles can be imported
Used cars with a VIN showing they were made or assembled in Mexico, the USA or Canada.
Cars 8 to 9 years old
Cars whose right to be driven are NOT restricted or prohibited. (sentence edited by Moderator)
The cost of importation is ten percent of the value of the vehicle plus taxes due for entry into the country.
Cars can be imported by Mexicans living in Mexico and abroad.
Importers need official ID and CURP, car title in their name or signed over to them, emissions certificate, nothing limiting their right to be driven in their home country
Procedures

1) Go to a customs agent with your ID, letter of appointment of customs broker, vehicle title.
2) You need to verify that the customs agent:
Obtains a certificate that the vehicle complies with physical / mechanical conditions and environmental protection (verification centers exist close to the border zone aduanas)
Verify that the vehicle has not been reported stolen
Verify that the vehicle VIN number matches the title.
Present the vehicle title to American Customs so that they can authorize its export (this process takes an average of two days).
Prepare the importation pedimento
Pay the proper taxes
Turn in the definitive importation pedimento fully paid.
3) Present the vehicle along with the pedimento at the aduana module for inspection and receive the import pedimentos with its attachments and register the vehicle in the Public Vehicle Registry.
Remember, only a customs agent can do the procedure with aduana. Vehicle importations are not done in the street. Do not turn over money or documents in the street.

I am just the messenger, I do not know how Canadians will fare without a title, or why they should deal with US customs or heck if anybody but a Mexican can import as it doesn't mention foreigners at all. Also I have no idea how people will babysit customs agents and make sure they comply with the list of items SAT gives.
Mexican licensed attorney (Cédula #7928026) and official court translator (Perito Traductor). Mx 376-765-7553, USA 805-683-4848

(This post was edited by RickS on Dec 19, 2014, 7:08 AM)

sparks

Dec 18, 2014, 8:10 AM

Post #2 of 14 (7459 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Intercasa] Car Importation Update December 2014

8 to 9 years ??

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

Rolly

Dec 18, 2014, 10:02 AM

Post #3 of 14 (7433 views)

Shortcut

"Cars whose right to be driven are restricted or prohibited."
What does that mean? Is there a "not" missing?

Rolly Pirate

playaboy

Dec 18, 2014, 11:11 AM

Post #4 of 14 (7423 views)

Shortcut

Regarding Canadians and CBP export, the following is part of an email conversations I have had with CBP in Washington, DC.

I can at least answer your question regarding Canadians. 19 CFR 192 does not apply to Canadians that are in-transiting through the US to Mexico unless that vehicle is registered/titled in the U.S. then 19CFR192 would apply.

(name and phone number withheld)
CBP Officer Program Manager
Export Control Division
Cargo and Conveyance Security
U.S. Customs and Border Protection
Office of Field Operations

Intercasa

Dec 18, 2014, 7:00 PM

Post #5 of 14 (7384 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Car Importation Update December 2014

Yes, forgot to put not, thanks, cannot seem to edit post although says edited by Rick
Mexican licensed attorney (Cédula #7928026) and official court translator (Perito Traductor). Mx 376-765-7553, USA 805-683-4848

Intercasa

Dec 18, 2014, 7:02 PM

Post #6 of 14 (7383 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] Car Importation Update December 2014

American customs might agree that it doesnt apply but what if Mexican customs doesnt?

playaboy

Dec 19, 2014, 5:08 AM

Post #7 of 14 (7339 views)

Shortcut

CBP doesn't want to see any Canadian vehicles that stay in Mexico. If Mexico requires Canadian vehicles to have USA CBP export, then they are screwed.

sparks

Dec 19, 2014, 12:32 PM

Post #8 of 14 (7276 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] Car Importation Update December 2014

In Reply To
8 to 9 years ??

8 to 9 years ?? No more and no less?

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

playaboy

Dec 20, 2014, 5:38 AM

Post #9 of 14 (7235 views)

Shortcut

It sure seems that way right now.

YucaLandia

Dec 20, 2014, 7:28 AM

Post #10 of 14 (7208 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To
8 to 9 years ??

8 to 9 years ?? No more and no less?

Is it possible that whoever created that SAT video just copied the old, effectively-unused policy that has been on the books for years - applied only at sea ports.

Reality has shown that SAT/Aduana has followed past NAFTA requirements on vehicle imports.

It's difficult to understand how SAT could ignore the upcoming Jan. 1, 2015 NAFTA requirements:

NAFTA Agreement Effects on Importing US/Canadian Used Cars into Mexico

"...

(c) beginning January 1, 2013, Mexico may not adopt or maintain a prohibition or restriction on imports from the territories of Canada or the United States of originating used vehicles that are at least six years old;

(d) beginning January 1, 2015, Mexico may not adopt or maintain a prohibition or restriction on imports from the territories of Canada or the United States of originating used vehicles that are at least four years old;

(e) beginning January 1, 2017, Mexico may not adopt or maintain a prohibition or restriction on imports from the territories of Canada or the United States of originating used vehicles that are at least two years old; and ..."

The NAFTA requirements would easily explain why 6 year old and older vehicles have been allowed for imports - while the 2013 and 2014 Aduana and SAT webpages mistakenly continued to claim "only 8 or 9 year old" vehicles are permitted.

Again. I'm not a licensed legal professional, but the NAFTA language seems pretty clear, (4 years old and older OK to import as of Jan 1, 2015),
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Dec 20, 2014, 9:13 AM)

AlanMexicali

Dec 20, 2014, 7:58 AM

Post #11 of 14 (7195 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Car Importation Update December 2014

I found no date on that particular slideshow and am going to have to presume the person in charge of the SAT Twitter slideshow made a screw up. IMO

(This post was edited by AlanMexicali on Dec 20, 2014, 8:11 AM)

YucaLandia

Dec 22, 2014, 7:11 AM

Post #12 of 14 (7082 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
With all the rumor and speculation out there, I thought I would share information that SAT has just published regarding vehicle importations. ...
What vehicles can be imported
Used cars with a VIN showing they were made or assembled in Mexico, the USA or Canada.
Cars 8 to 9 years old
Cars whose right to be driven are NOT restricted or prohibited. (sentence edited by Moderator)

The cost of importation is ten percent of the value of the vehicle plus taxes due for entry into the country.

For people who want to determine their import fees, official vehicle values were updated in Sept. 2014:
http://www.aduanas-mexico.com.mx/..._estimados.html#ane2
-
Read-on MacDuff

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Dec 22, 2014, 7:13 AM)

playaboy

Dec 24, 2014, 6:00 AM

Post #13 of 14 (6953 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Car Importation Update December 2014

There are plenty of non-nafta cars on that list, for many different years, than the slideshow presentation allows.

YucaLandia

Dec 24, 2014, 6:31 PM

Post #14 of 14 (6904 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] Car Importation Update December 2014

Correct. Good reminder that the spreadsheet covers commercial vehicles, private vehicles, semi-trucks, etc.

Since car dealers and other professionals have the right to import many kinds of vehicles that are prohibited for importation by private individuals, the Aduana valuation list includes values for all kinds of vehicles that Aduana anticipates may be imported.

If a reader can't find their car, ignore some of the section headers, and keep paging-down until you find your vehicle by searching for it by name/model.

Happy Holidays,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Dec 24, 2014, 7:22 PM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4