Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Technical Mexico

Waterfowler

Dec 16, 2014, 1:06 PM

Post #1 of 5 (13020 views)

Shortcut

Can someone recommend a prepaid calling card(mobile) that I can order here in the US

Can't Post | Private Reply
My girlfriend has family in Mexicali and I'd like to get her a phone with service for Christmas she can use while in Mexico. I'd like one where I can buy minutes and it won't expire. All I have to do is buy a dual sim 1800/900 GSM phone(like a Blu), and pop the card in and she's good right?

(This post was edited by Waterfowler on Dec 16, 2014, 1:07 PM)

johanson / Moderator

Dec 17, 2014, 3:03 PM

Post #2 of 5 (12950 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Waterfowler] Can someone recommend a prepaid calling card(mobile) that I can order here in the

Sorry I didn't answer sooner. I was hoping someone else might do so. All I know is that if I buy an unlocked cell phone, that can take a GSM chip of the same type as AT&T and T Mobile use, that one can bring it south of the border, and buy a GSM chip say from Telcel and that it fits and works well.
I and or my friends have done it with iPhones and other brands quite often. This same phone could be used in the US using a SIM chip from AT&T or T Mobile. I have no idea about what type of card you could buy in the US, as I only use a cell phone (even though I buy it in the US) in Mexico.

The first phone I bought for a friend when I was in Seattle was a new unlocked iPhone 3, way back when. I use a 5s purchased in the states and I have friends who have purchased unlocked iPhone 6s in both the US and Canada that would take the Mexican SIM chip and they work well down here.

Sorry I can not be more helpful

Pete

(This post was edited by johanson on Dec 17, 2014, 6:21 PM)

Aaron+

Dec 28, 2014, 1:48 PM

Post #3 of 5 (12845 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Waterfowler] Can someone recommend a prepaid calling card(mobile) that I can order here in the

Yeah, I am even later in answering.
You can buy a dual sim card unit. When my low cost cell phone died on arriving in Phila., I picked up from Radio Shack (not my preferred store!) a Samsung Fame duos for about $129 plus sales tax. It takes two micromini SIM cards. So I can have, for example, a T-Mobile card coexisting with a Telcel card. Using configuration, I can choose which card to have active.

After Radio Shack, I hastened to the T-Mobile store and purchased a $50/mo unlimited U.S. call plan (plus I don´t know how much data etc, which I did not use), and had them tack on an additional $15/mo plan fror unlimited calls to Mexico. Just prior to the first month expiring (and after my return to Mérida), I used online chat to change my plan to a pay as you go plan that will keep the phone number alive for about $10/3 mo. until my next arrival in the states, at which point I can reactive via the web and not need to go to a T-Mobile store.

Actually, I just today found a better deal using Rebtel. I can make international calls at Rebtel's rockbottom prices using either the Internet when I am in range of a secure wifi connections, or use pay the local charge to a Rebtel access number.... Well, have not done that yet.

johanson / Moderator

Dec 29, 2014, 10:13 AM

Post #4 of 5 (12820 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Aaron+] Can someone recommend a prepaid calling card(mobile) that I can order here in the

Thanks for the tip. Well I'm packing up as I do every year at this time to head north to Seattle and if the sun comes out also to Vancouver Island for my annual visit to the Doc, Dentist, Apple store and windows store etc.
So I may be a little late in answering any posts for a couple of days. Now if I can only hold off from buying a new iPhone 6 and or a new Surface Pro.
So I say a little late, Merry Christmas and just on time, Happy New Year.

Emma Peel

Jan 24, 2015, 7:53 PM

Post #5 of 5 (12528 views)

Shortcut

Post deleted by Administrator |

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4