Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

jwallacq

Dec 13, 2014, 9:25 AM

Post #1 of 10 (8512 views)

Shortcut

Costs of motels? (and some other questions)

Can't Post | Private Reply
What is the ballpark cost of a "no-frills" motel or hotel with a secure parking garage/lot in the small- or medium-sized towns away from the touristy areas?

Are there any nationally-recognized chains yet? Is there a Mexican equivalent of Motel-6?

I vaguely remember, from many years ago, that some towns used to have motels where each room had its own little one-car garage, with a lockable garage door, attached to the room. Does anybody know what I'm talking about, and do they still exist?

The last time I travelled in Mexico, about 15 years ago, I would sometimes just sleep in my car in a (well-lighted!!) area of the parking lots at the big service plazas along the Autopistas. Is that still practical?

Changing the subject slightly: Is pepper spray legal in Mexico? What about Bear Spray?

Thanks in Advance.

Rolly

Dec 13, 2014, 10:00 AM

Post #2 of 10 (8511 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jwallacq] Costs of motels? (and some other questions)

Motels are common and inexpensive. Please read this for a clear discussion of hotels and motels.
http://rollybrook.com/motels.htm

Sleeping in your car is not a safe idea.

There are some nation-wide chain hotels, such as Holiday Inn and Best Western. They are not inexpensive.

Rolly Pirate

chinagringo

Dec 13, 2014, 5:53 PM

Post #3 of 10 (8471 views)

Shortcut

Believe it or not, hotels and motels do exist in Mexico and just the other day it was announced that Motel 6 would be opening approximately 30 brand new locations by 2016. Was sleeping in one's car alongside the road a matter of being frugal or was it a necessity? I know we were driving Mexico back then and certainly had no problem finding decent hotels/motels.

And the reason for pepper or bear spray? Maybe traveling the deep south of the US would be a better option for you as they seem to be living in bygone times in many of those areas?
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

RickS

Dec 13, 2014, 8:09 PM

Post #4 of 10 (8459 views)

Shortcut

..."one-car garage, with a lockable garage door, attached to the room. Does anybody know what I'm talking about, and do they still exist?"

Now commonly called 'no tell mo-tels'. They are everywhere, generally rented out by the 4-hour period. But when booked for the night make a very secure and convenient place to bed down for the night..... even have a really nice ceiling mirror over the bed!

tashby

Dec 13, 2014, 9:14 PM

Post #5 of 10 (8451 views)

Shortcut

What is the ballpark cost of a "no-frills" motel or hotel with a secure parking garage/lot in the small- or medium-sized towns away from the touristy areas?

Every kind of accommodation exists here, depending upon your definition of "small- or medium-sized town away from touristy areas".

Depending upon how fluent you are in the culture (and the landscape and language) of a small town, you can find rooms to sleep in on the cheap. Or a small hotel/posada type place. (There's almost always a locked parking lot down the street or around the corner.) Prices always depend on location, desirability and the quality of the property. I could find you a place to sleep for a $100 pesos per night, but it probably wouldn't meet your standards. It certainly wouldn't meet mine. VERY generally, 300-500 pesos per night will get you a perfectly comfortable hotel room almost anywhere with water (maybe not hot) if you're not terribly picky.

And yes, the "No-Tell Motels" with secure garages are a great deal, well-priced, antiseptically clean and very safe. They are easy to spot on the outskirts of towns/cities, but are also found within larger cities. Depends where you're going, etc.

(Lastly, I'd just like to add that in my opinion an earlier post in this thread is unnecessarily aggressive and borderline toxic. It was a simple question posed by jwallacq, who apparently only recently joined MexConnect. I've always appreciated this site for the civilized tone it's maintained - for the most part! - compared to other internet forums.)

jwallacq

Dec 13, 2014, 11:02 PM

Post #6 of 10 (8442 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Costs of motels? (and some other questions)

Thanks for the very helpful advice. Also, thanks to RickS and tashby (below) for their advice.

By the way: That is a *really* nice website you have! I immediately bookmarked it.

Now that I see your description of the "motels de paso," that is exactly what I was recalling from 20 years ago. At first my wife & I avoided them because we weren't quite sure what the deal was (and some of them were kind of trashy-looking). But then one time we had to stay in one out of desperation and were perfectly happy with it. I don't specifically recall mirrors on the ceiling, but there might have been.

For $20 or $30 USD per night they definitely sound worth it. When I travel by myself on the Interstate highways in the rural parts of the USA, I usually just sleep in truck-stops instead of wasting time & money on motels. ... But of course, in the USA, even when I'm by myself, I'm never alone because Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson are always close by ;-)

Somebody mentioned 100 pesos per night. Back when I was single, I occasionally stayed in 100 peso per night places. Some of them weren't too bad -- I specifically remember one in San Fernando, Tamaulipas. But, of course, 20 years ago, San Fernando was a quiet, peaceful little hamlet. I don't think I want to try that again.

bournemouth

Dec 14, 2014, 7:36 AM

Post #7 of 10 (8419 views)

Shortcut

Just in case - do remember that Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson cannot come with you to Mexico.

d a cooper

Dec 14, 2014, 7:48 AM

Post #8 of 10 (8416 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tashby] Costs of motels? (and some other questions)

well said tashby:

(Lastly, I'd just like to add that in my opinion an earlier post in this thread is unnecessarily aggressive and borderline toxic. It was a simple question posed by jwallacq, who apparently only recently joined MexConnect. I've always appreciated this site for the civilized tone it's maintained - for the most part! - compared to other internet forums.)

never saw a legit answer to the question of pepper spray. funny story- last year as we were stopped and searched at one of the 'revistas' between saltillo/matehuala, one of the 'officers' was looking in the middle console of my truck and picked up my pepper spray. he says 'for asthma, yes?' i said yes, do you need a shot of it?
so much for levity, eh?

cbviajero

Dec 14, 2014, 8:20 AM

Post #9 of 10 (8405 views)

Shortcut

Re: [d a cooper] Costs of motels? (and some other questions)

Revistas are magazines.
I don't know what the laws are regarding pepper spray but it's sold in hardware stores,department stores,online,etc.

jwallacq

Dec 14, 2014, 8:40 AM

Post #10 of 10 (8393 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Costs of motels? (and some other questions)

Yes, I am well aware of that, but thanks for the reminder. That is certainly something that cannot be emphasized often enough!

That, of course, was precisely the reason why I was inquiring about legal alternatives for self-defense. If I can't get a definitive answer about the pepper spray, I guess I will just keep an aerosol can of chlorinated engine de-greaser or wasp spray or something on the passenger's seat. .... And maybe a loaf of pan frances with a sharp slicing knife stuck in it. ... And a heavy lug-wrench or tire iron ... Better than nothing.

I'm probably just being paranoid anyhow. I actually lived in Mexico from 1990 until 1995 and always felt safer there than in any large American city.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4