Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

heff

Dec 13, 2014, 7:37 AM

Post #1 of 4 (6481 views)

Shortcut

travel from Vera Cruz to Brownsville/Matmoros

Can't Post | Private Reply
We are making the trip next week and would like to hear suggestions for our route. I have read a few posts but not much current information as to best highways and safest routes. We have been advised to cross at Matamoros because I'm returning a car to the US and that was our entry point a few years ago.Any information would be appreciated.

RickS

Dec 13, 2014, 7:46 AM

Post #2 of 4 (6476 views)

Shortcut

Re: [heff] travel from Vera Cruz to Brownsville/Matmoros

No recommendatioins, but..... you can return that car to ANY border crossing. Does NOT have to be where you entered.

Also, assuming that you have kept the car permit current every year with Aduana, make sure you cancel the permit (TIP) whereever you cross. If you have not kept it current for the 'few years' you have had it in Mexico, you are driving an illegal car in Mexico.

heff

Dec 13, 2014, 7:53 AM

Post #3 of 4 (6474 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] travel from Vera Cruz to Brownsville/Matmoros

I believe we have the car permit legal after several visits to Cancun for safe transit papers. if I don't use Matamoros what border crossings are recommended? We will be headed to the Northeast US once out of Mexico.

RickS

Dec 13, 2014, 8:41 AM

Post #4 of 4 (6460 views)

Shortcut

Re: [heff] travel from Vera Cruz to Brownsville/Matmoros

It's hard to recommend a route to you coming from that area. Why? Over the past few years there has been a lot us 'unrest' on the roads coming up from Veracruz city to the US. MOSTLY this has been concentrated in the northern most areas of Tamaulipas state and specifically anywhere around San Fernando. I haven't heard of any lately, but that may only mean that I/others aren't privy to all that goes on.

At the end of the day it is an individual choice as to what route one should take. Thousands a day will ride 180 north and never have/see any trouble. The probability of your being involved in an incident is extremely remote but you should know that bad things have happened in that corridor in the past. Stick to the cuotas and autopistas as much as possible.

Based on your destination, Matamoros makes as good sense as any other. Another would be the newer Pharr crossing, but NOT the adjacent Reynosa crossing. If you decide on Pharr, you would leave 180/101 around San Fernando and head due north on highway 97.

Remember that with your Retorno Seguro (Safe Return) paperwork from SAT, you have only 5 business days after receipt to get to the border.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4