Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

Curtis13

Dec 11, 2014, 2:05 PM

Post #1 of 13 (5919 views)

Shortcut

Clarification, need to go permanent?

Can't Post | Private Reply
I think I read a possible solution to my problem, but need to see if I'm right. USA plated car that can't cheaply be imported and is too old to sell for much. But it's in great shape for the little I drive it. My status is Residente Temporal and has a 1 on the back. It's set to expire this July.

Can I fly up to Texas and re-enter the next day as a tourist? Then can I begin the resident process all over again, thus being able to keep my car?

Carol

bournemouth

Dec 11, 2014, 2:23 PM

Post #2 of 13 (5908 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Curtis13] Clarification, need to go permanent?

As Temporal you can keep your car. You still have at least 2 more years to go on your Temporal (I know others will be more specific) so have no problems at the moment in keeping your car.

Curtis13

Dec 11, 2014, 2:26 PM

Post #3 of 13 (5903 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Clarification, need to go permanent?

That would be wonderful. Someone told me that the 1 meant I had to go permanente.

Carol

Rolly

Dec 11, 2014, 2:27 PM

Post #4 of 13 (5902 views)

Shortcut

No, a 4 means you have to go to RP.

Rolly Pirate

RickS

Dec 11, 2014, 2:35 PM

Post #5 of 13 (5897 views)

Shortcut

NOTE: Others posted as I was writing....

Someone more knowledgeable than I about the Temporal than will chime in, but..... I thought that a RT with a 1 one the back still had at least 2 more (if not 3) years to remain in that category. One just renews before it expires in July. And as long as one keeps Aduana informed annually in writing as to their renewed status, vis a vie the TIP car, you will be good to go for quite some time.

But assuming I'm wrong and July is the end..... NO, you cannot fly to the border and try to achieve your end goal in the way you have described, but it can be done, some say, quite easily 'across the border'.

The reality is that once an RT reaches it's 4th year, and one wants to 'do it again' as opposed to going Permanente, this MUST be done at a Mexican Consulate in the States... not from within Mexico. And one would need to meet the then current financial requirements for the RT. Lately there have been good accounts of folks doing just this thing at the Laredo Tx. Mexican Consulate... stories of going in (with all their ducks lined up) and completing the process in 3 hours. Seems as that Consulate is very helpful and efficient. Know too that the process there is just the starting point.... one gets the beginning paperwork that must then be presented (withing 30 days?) to the appropriate organization in your district. But it does get it done if that is what one desires to do.

P.S. If you go this route, you MUST drive that car out of Mexico (to Laredo) cancelling the existing TIP as you cross and, when you re-enter with the beginning paperwork for your new RT, get a new TIP.

P.P.S. IF you haven't keep Aduana informed in writing about your car every year at renewal time, then your car is actually in Mexico illegally at this moment. Fortunately there is a way to correct this problem (Safe Return document) but it does entail taking the car to the border...

(This post was edited by RickS on Dec 11, 2014, 6:59 PM)

Curtis13

Dec 11, 2014, 2:40 PM

Post #6 of 13 (5890 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Clarification, need to go permanent?

Thanks for that info. Scratch taking a quick plane trip. Just glad that it looks as if I can keep driving it here and save up to buy a Mexican plated car.

I've never informed any agency about the car since we came down 3 years ago. Does the notification only apply when I try to drive it out of country?

Carol

RickS

Dec 11, 2014, 2:45 PM

Post #7 of 13 (5890 views)

Shortcut

Well, depending on the specifics of your case, your car may be illegal at this point. Since I can't guess just how you came in and when you went Temporal and who did the paperwork and what they might have done for you without your knowing, you might want to check that out.

There is a SAT website where one can 'look up' the status of your TIP. One 'may' be able to do that themselves (I don't know how) but I do know that a local attorney can do it for you.... Spencer McMullen in Chapala. You would be wise to pursue an answer to this IMO.

(This post was edited by RickS on Dec 11, 2014, 6:59 PM)

roberth

Dec 11, 2014, 3:41 PM

Post #8 of 13 (5871 views)

Shortcut

Here is the website Rick mentioned:

https://portalsat.plataforma.sat.gob.mx/..._internet/index.aspx

You can check the status of your TIP there.

(This post was edited by Rolly on Dec 11, 2014, 3:46 PM)

sparks

Dec 11, 2014, 4:35 PM

Post #9 of 13 (5863 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Clarification, need to go permanent?

The number means the number of renewals and you can only renew 3 times or for 3 years after the first. I believe the #3 is the end of Temporal

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

DavidHF

Dec 15, 2014, 9:17 AM

Post #10 of 13 (5684 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] Clarification, need to go permanent?

Correct, at the end of your 3rd renewal you would have been RT for 4 years. After 4 you must go Permanente.

YucaLandia

Dec 15, 2014, 5:34 PM

Post #11 of 13 (5627 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidHF] Clarification, need to go permanent?

In Reply To
Correct, at the end of your 3rd renewal you would have been RT for 4 years. After 4 you must go Permanente.

Under the Nov. 2012 INM rules, after completing 4 years on a Residente Temporal, the foreigner has multiple options:

1. Get a new Residente Temporal visa, starting at a Mexican Consulate or stay in Mexico and use a route to a new RT visa that Intercasa (Lic. Spencer McMullin) offers (no trip to your home country.)
or
2. Apply for Residente Permanente.
or
3. Combine your 4 years of RT with just 1 prior year of Residente Temporal, or Inmigrado, or the old FM2 (Inmigrante) etc, to have 5 continuous years of INM permits that allow you to qualify for becoming a Naturalized Citizen of Mexico.

Details on all of these options at: ~ Current Rules and Procedures for Immigration, Visiting, and Staying in Mexico

Happy Trails,
steve

-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

RickS

Dec 15, 2014, 7:42 PM

Post #12 of 13 (5609 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] Clarification, need to go permanent?

Steve, I'm wondering if it is wise to list as an option the 'within Mexico' route that Intercasa suggests can be done in Chapala/Guadalajara? Is there enough (any?) evidence that this is being done across the country so as to list it as an option? Might get some folks heading down the wrong road if this is not a universal happening, don't you think?

(This post was edited by RickS on Dec 15, 2014, 7:44 PM)

YucaLandia

Dec 16, 2014, 4:20 PM

Post #13 of 13 (5535 views)

Shortcut

Excellent point.

That's why I identified Spencer/Intercasa/his law firm as the only one we know of who does this, directing interested people to use Spencer's services. People who want to explore this option should contact Intercasa here on Mexconnect - or at their website: http://Chapalalaw.com .

I don't want to limit which clients Spencer could help - (Jalisco state only?), and he may know of other good attorneys in other states who also offer this service.

What restrictions are there on foreigners in Jalisco using the Guadalajara office?
When I think of all the gringo communities in Jalisco - (Puerto Vallara, all the areas around Chapala, etc) - we're possibly talking about this opportunity/route being available to the biggest groups of gringos and other foreigners in Mexico. (??)

Happy Holidays,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Dec 16, 2014, 6:33 PM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4