Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

RickS

Dec 8, 2014, 9:22 AM

Post #1 of 6 (7920 views)

Shortcut

Baluarte Bridge

Can't Post | Private Reply
Last week I decided to take the Maz-Durango cuota and check out the 'new' Devil's Backbone ride and to see first hand the Baluarte bridge on said route.

Well, it was spectacular.... as was the rest of the road! I knew there were some tunnels, so I started counting. Didn't know I was going to go through 63 tunnels!!! Most were about 150 meters long, some a little shorter and one was 1/2 mile and another 1.5 miles. And a ton of smaller bridges between every arroyo. Very impressive!
Unfortunately there is NO WAY to stop anywhere around the Baluarte bridge to snap a photo but I have included a youtube video of it below.

Actually the whole trip between Mazatlan and Durango was a treat. The road on the Maz side is very tropical and had, what I am guessing, a ton of Jacarandas blooming throughout the forests. Beautiful! As you top out elevation wise (tunnel 21) the other side turns immediately to a pine forest and then eventually to desert-like, cactus and 'mesquite'. Closer to Durango, but still up high, there were at least two 'sawmill' towns. All the houses were made of wood. Strange, 'tho, I didn't see one 'lumber truck' on the road anywhere.
The geology is also very interesting... all those tunnels were bored through rock.... no dirt hills around. And the highway construction was done very un-Mexican like... meaning all the cuts and scrapes of the hillsides are well prepared so as to not come down down down the first rain. Every 'cut/scrape' through the rock hills was covered with either heavy concrete or that wire heavy wire mesh so that any rock that did make it down the hillside was very small.... and the crews were there sweeping up, yes with brooms!, whatever might have made it out of the mesh. VERY impressive highway.
So, WELL worth a drive to get to see that road.

see also: http://youtu.be/qyCXuV6RTH0

wilpharm

Jan 20, 2015, 3:24 PM

Post #2 of 6 (7779 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Baluarte Bridge

Rick, We have driven that drive at least 5 times now and I am looking forward to doing it again..We see something amazing & new each time…
I just wish they had more designated places to pull over for fotos…
Everyone who travels MExico should take this highway if possible...

Mexicanbill

Feb 15, 2015, 8:42 PM

Post #3 of 6 (7652 views)

Shortcut

Re: [wilpharm] Baluarte Bridge

I think I would like to try it but I didn't see any Pemex stations in any of the videos I viewed,,,Hate to run out of gas up there.
Chef William aka MexicanBill

chinagringo

Feb 16, 2015, 5:34 AM

Post #4 of 6 (7634 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Mexicanbill] Baluarte Bridge

Given that it is approx 160 miles between Durango and Mazatlan - have you considered fuleling up at either end? Most vehicles that I can think of would be able to cover this distance on one tank of gas. If yours doesn't, I would seriously consider chucking it!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

RickS

Feb 16, 2015, 4:46 PM

Post #5 of 6 (7583 views)

Shortcut

Ditto what chinagringo said..... and no, there are no Pemex stations along the route.

mazbeach

Feb 17, 2015, 5:38 AM

Post #6 of 6 (7560 views)

Shortcut

Actually, there is a station at the top right after you pass into Durango. Discovered it by accident the last time I went that way on the old road. But, if you gas up before leaving it shouldn't be needed.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4