Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

nunulka

Dec 6, 2014, 7:05 AM

Post #1 of 10 (5748 views)

Shortcut

UPS custom clearance issues

Can't Post | Private Reply
I'm annoyed, I used "good service" of UPS. I sent a package with Christmas gifts to my friend in Mexico.
The package is held by customs UPS, at first they confiscated cookies, chocolates, candies and a firm soap for some global terms. Never had such experience before and I sent already several times chocolates or cookies via DHL to the friend in Mexico. It was first trauma.

Now they found another reason why to hold the package, maybe they want to keep for themself? Now they request to check if are registered trademarks of the goods which are imported..PUMA, ADIDAS, TOMMY Hilfiger, DOUGLAS . The reason for prevent from piracy. My god I know I can't send piracy products, I bought them 100% original! I would like to know since when they care about it when there so much criminals, drug dealers, and piracy goods in Mexico? I just wanted to send a few gifts to my friend in Mexico, to make him happy. Instead of that he and me have nervs. So much money I paid for services, big mistake that I chosen at this time UPS (usually I send packages to Mexico via DHL). UPS never again, at least not for international shipping. I used DHL and never had such problems before, yes was slow but no problem at the custom clearance and yes they did open the package.

Now I ask how can I get a help? We dont have experience with checking trademarks and proving, how to do it? No one helps!"

esperanza

Dec 6, 2014, 9:35 AM

Post #2 of 10 (5713 views)

Shortcut

Re: [nunulka] UPS custom clearance issues

Aduana does not allow candles to be shipped into Mexico. A package of other items we ordered from eBay was just held at the border because the seller decided she would include a candle as a gift to us. We told Aduana to throw away the candle. The items we purchased are on the way to us now.

Aduana is always very picky about accepting shoes. NO used shoes are allowed into the country. Piracy is a huge industry here and while I understand your frustration, I also understand Aduana's concern.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

nunulka

Dec 6, 2014, 12:22 PM

Post #3 of 10 (5681 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] UPS custom clearance issues

I didnt send any shoes and not used, the things I sent were T-Shirt, long sleeved shirt, man's wallet, lady purse and a hat, everything new and 100% original brand. Everything is supposed to be Xmas gifts for my friend in Mexico. I sent several times package to Mexico using DHL which was handed over Sepomex and never had problems, they didnt want any proves all things are original. Never again UPS and their customs.

esperanza

Dec 6, 2014, 1:54 PM

Post #4 of 10 (5662 views)

Shortcut

Sorry, when you said Pumas etc I thought you were talking about shoes.

UPS is very difficult to work with. Someone sent me a gift--a book--via UPS and in order to receive it, I had to pay a "contribution" of 150 pesos. I called them to see what the heck that was about, and they said it wasn't an impuesto, it was a "voluntary contribution". Hello? I told them I didn't volunteer. They said pay it or forget about getting your book.

nunulka

Dec 6, 2014, 3:53 PM

Post #5 of 10 (5647 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] UPS custom clearance issues

ok I feel their behaviour is strange. I understand if I send as a business intention, but I sent the things private as I said Xmas gifts which are for my friend. I looked over the internet and didnt find they would private people to check trademarks . I'm talking about UPS customs in Monterrey.

I uploaded the emails from the UPS customs, my friend sent them to me
Attachments: Ups_email.pdf (121 KB)

Gringal

Dec 7, 2014, 7:04 AM

Post #6 of 10 (5578 views)

Shortcut

I've had poor experiences with UPS and switched to ESTAFETA some time ago.
No problems since.

nunulka

Dec 11, 2014, 5:20 AM

Post #7 of 10 (5452 views)

Shortcut

Hello

my friend finally got my package. Unfortunately I had too many issues with UPS about my package I sent from Germany to Mexico, therefore I will not use them anymore, maybe was just on the Mexican part.
1) Mexican UPS customs confiscated a part of the package: cookies, candies, chocolates, wafers and a firm soap
2) Their customs required some trademarks checking
3) They charged the custom fees twice
4) They stolen one item from the package: candles
5) They poorly opened envelopes with private Xmas cards I wanted present my friend and his mom. After that would be a shame to present to my friend and his mom

For all the issues when I count also high price of the services and high custom charges, am very disappointed, will not use them anymore, at least not for international shipping and will warn everyone who is going to use them for international shipping.

esperanza

Dec 11, 2014, 5:53 AM

Post #8 of 10 (5440 views)

Shortcut

Aduana does not allow either soaps or candles to be imported into Mexico. Those items were confiscated, not stolen.

It's often really hard to understand the rules, but nevertheless, they ARE the rules.

Your problems with shipping are twofold: one is Aduana and the other is the poor service of UPS. You can't change Aduana, but you can change shipper.

nunulka

Dec 11, 2014, 7:47 AM

Post #9 of 10 (5423 views)

Shortcut

I didnt say the soap was stolen. I was talking about the candles. I would understand, but the candles was NOT on the list confiscated which my friend signed, they did NOT even informed him.
Yes I tried UPS for the first time and also last time for international shipping. Before I used German DHL (8 times) which was handed over the Sepomex, there were never problems with aduana.

(This post was edited by nunulka on Dec 11, 2014, 8:20 AM)

chinagringo

Dec 11, 2014, 8:10 AM

Post #10 of 10 (5414 views)

Shortcut

Beside beating this issue to death, the OP is obviously inexperienced when it comes to procedures in Mexico. There has been a fairly constant stream of reports that large corporations such as Costco and WallyWorld having difficulty getting imported products into Mexico. As with most things, it is hit or miss and the day when one finds rules or regulations adhered to equally across Mexico - please declare a National Holiday!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4