Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

chuckcuz

Dec 3, 2014, 9:19 AM

Post #1 of 6 (4638 views)

Shortcut

general info

Can't Post | Private Reply
What is the best way of money handeling? I used to carry T checks...but do they now except debit or credit cards at the Pemexs, Giante, etc.?
Can you use ATM cards at banks, et al ?
Also...how about cell phone use. Do our cell phone providers also have their towers in Mexico? I cant imagine that every Mexican is not now carrying at cell phone.

Rolly

Dec 3, 2014, 9:24 AM

Post #2 of 6 (4633 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chuckcuz] general info

ATM cards are the way to go. Machines are everywhere.
Cell phones are everywhere. I'm pretty sure even street dogs now have cells. :-)

Rolly Pirate

chuckcuz

Dec 3, 2014, 9:40 AM

Post #3 of 6 (4628 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] general info

Thanks Rolly. I figured that millions of Mexicans on both sides of the border would mean that cell phone coverage is common...but do I have to have international calling to make my gringo phone work?

How about the debit cards...probably cheaper than ATMs in a foreign country I would think.

chinagringo

Dec 3, 2014, 9:57 AM

Post #4 of 6 (4625 views)

Shortcut

Our Gringo phones have always worked SOB but contact your provider for what their charges are for use in Mexico as all plans or providers are not created equal! Be very very careful about data usage in Mexico as that can produce some real surprises. We turn our data off and only use WIFI for that feature. YMMV!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

rvgringo

Dec 3, 2014, 10:02 AM

Post #5 of 6 (4625 views)

Shortcut

When you cross the border, you will probably find that your celular quits working. The simple solution, and by far the most economical, is to buy a throw-away cell phone in Mexico.
You seem confused about debit cards and ATMs. Just inform your home bank that you will be using your card in Mexico, so that they don‘t disable it. You will find ATMs (cajera automatica) in major stores, banks, large public buildings, etc. Most of them have both Spanish and English instructions and will dispense the number of pesos you specify, up to your daily limit. You may want to increase that to $1000 USD before traveling, as that will minimize the fees you pay per transaction. Mexico is a cash society, so it is wise not to use credit cards if you can avoid it. Most places will not take them and some charge a higher price to use them.

chinagringo

Dec 3, 2014, 10:26 AM

Post #6 of 6 (4614 views)

Shortcut

Re: [rvgringo] general info

Four different US cell providers and we have never had our phones quit working. When was the last time you had a US cell phone and took it south into Mexico?
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4