Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

jwallacq

Dec 2, 2014, 10:19 AM

Post #1 of 4 (5342 views)

Shortcut

Best route from San Juan del Rio to Tlaxcala ?

Can't Post | Private Reply
I'm planning a trip from the USA to the Yucatan in a few weeks, and I'm looking for some route advice:

I will be coming in somewhere west of Laredo -- probably Piedras Negras. I want to avoid Mexico City at all costs, and I would prefer to avoid Puebla also. It looks like a no-brainer to come down highway 57 from the border to Queretaro, and it also looks like a no-brainer to take 150D and then 145D from Puebla to Coatzacoalcos.

But what is the best way to get from 57 over to 150D? Looking at Google Maps, I see two possible routes: One goes through Huichapan, Actopan, and Pachuca; the other goes through Tula and Tezontepec. Which is preferable?? They both seem to end up at Texmelucan, northwest of Puebla.

My other question is: How bad is it to drive through Puebla? Does 150D remain a Freeway through the city, or do you have to fight urban, downtown traffic? Would it be worth my while to detour through Tlaxcala, Apizaco, and Huamantla, and then pick up the freeway somewhere east of Puebla?

Thanks in Advance!

RickS

Dec 2, 2014, 1:07 PM

Post #2 of 4 (5329 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jwallacq] Best route from San Juan del Rio to Tlaxcala ?

Your problem is solved....

There is a relatively new cuota, Arco Norte, that skirts around DF to the north. It will come off of 57D heading east skirting to the north of Tula; it will "arc" around and join 150D about halfway between DF and Puebla around Texmelucan.

150D does remain a cuota through Puebla. No use to use any other route.

P.S. I am surprised that your view of Google Maps does not show all of this.... mine does.

jwallacq

Dec 2, 2014, 3:22 PM

Post #3 of 4 (5316 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Best route from San Juan del Rio to Tlaxcala ?

Thanks for the information. Actually, when I take a closer look at Google Maps, I guess I do see this road. But it's not marked with any route numbers, so I didn't recognize it as a road the first time I looked at the map.

But you are correct: If I zoom way, way in on Google, then it is marked as "Arco Norte" in very tiny letters.

chinagringo

Dec 2, 2014, 6:32 PM

Post #4 of 4 (5300 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jwallacq] Best route from San Juan del Rio to Tlaxcala ?

The drive from Queretaro to Puebla is a cakewalk and the Arco Norte is one of the better cuotas in Mexico. The drive is relaxing and some of the scenery is great. Here is a YouTube video we shot this past August: Puebla to Tequisquiapan, QRO-

http://youtu.be/...DpnZ20mAyDK3BH8bkkXw

Driving through Puebla has always been easy for us as we have stayed away from the rush hour traffic periods. Last trip, we did hit the afternoon rush hour returning from Tecali de Herrera and even that wasn't too bad!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4