Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Living, Working, Retiring

Mjheff

Nov 15, 2014, 6:47 AM

Post #1 of 7 (9993 views)

Shortcut

Temporary resident car status

Can't Post | Private Reply
Iam in temporary residente status (FM3) for another two years. My car has the import sticker from when I crossed the border in 2010 with my FM 3 and I have renewed my FM 3 each year as required. My attorney just told me my car, which has NY plates, is here illegally and I must nationalize it immediately by driving it to the border. Any help? I thought. I could keep the NY plates on it until I became Permante.

YucaLandia

Nov 15, 2014, 7:04 AM

Post #2 of 7 (9984 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Mjheff] Temporary resident car status

Article 106 of the Ley Aduanera guarantees that if you keep your temporary residency INM permit in force continuously during the lifetime of the car permit, with no breaks and no fines/penalties, the Temporary Import Permit (TIP) continues to be legitimate.

If you paid a deposit for the TIP, Banjercito automatically confiscates the deposits 15 days after the TIP's expiration date, but Article 106 still applies (keeping the TIP legitimate) as long as you maintain your temporary residency permit continuously in force.

If you imported the car after Jun. 10, 2010, then you are supposed to give Aduana written updates every time you renew your INM permit, so Aduana can update their database to show a fresh TIP expiration date that matches your INM permit's current expiration date.

Even if you imported the vehicle before June 2010, it is best to notify Aduana (in writing) of every time your INM permit has a new expiration date, because Aduana gives us a letter certifying the TIP's new expiration date - which is very helpful to show Mexican police to confirm that your vehicle is still legal to drive in Mexico.

These 2 links give you details on Article 106 and on renewing your Aduana TIP:
~ Important Rules for Operating Foreign Plated Cars in Mexico: Article 106 and Article 17-17.4 Copies to Keep in Your Car

and

~ Example Letter Notifying Aduana of changes-in or renewals-to your INM Visa

If you allowed your INM permit to expire, or had to pay some fine/penalty on it, then your Aduana TIP expired, and you would need to take the vehicle to the border and surrender the TIP - and get another one. Since you have a Residente Temporal visa, you are allowed to have a TIP vehicle.

If you do have to go to the border due to an expired TIP, you can use a free Retorno Seguro permit to have 5 business days to drive to the border. Details here:
What to Do If Your Car Becomes “Illegal” – The Retorno Seguro Program / Permit

Happy Trails,
steve

** "You can either go to an Aduana office or ... write directly to Aduana DF to request an extension of your TIP, including copies of your INM card, the new INM expiration date, the VIN, make, model, TIP number, and your passport number. There is a pdf form from Aduana to send in - note that it loads very slowly.

ftp://ftp2.sat.gob.mx/...mporal_vehiculos.pdf

Administración Central de Planeación Aduanera
Av. Hidalgo No.77 Modulo IV primer piso
Col. Guerrero, Delegación Cuauhtémoc
Código Postal 06300, México D.F.Be sure to have your extension request ARRIVE at an Aduana office before 15 days after you receive your INM permit renewal - even if it requires express delivery."
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Nov 15, 2014, 7:21 AM)

hunteradvisor

Jan 29, 2016, 5:10 AM

Post #3 of 7 (8859 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Mjheff] Temporary resident car status

I'm posting for my daughter and just want to confirm that the rules regarding TIPs has not changed since Steve's posted reply 11/14. Her TIP expires 4/20/16 along with her 180 tourist visa, however, we are all flying to a wedding in TX which will giver her a new visa and another 180 days. I read that she can't notify Dayana of the new visa expiration date and have her car here legally. Is this still correct?
Gracias~🌴
Isabel
www.RanchoSolyMar.com

playaboy

Jan 29, 2016, 6:25 AM

Post #4 of 7 (8849 views)

Shortcut

Re: [hunteradvisor] Temporary resident car status

correct

esperanza

Jan 31, 2016, 6:31 AM

Post #5 of 7 (8750 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
I'm posting for my daughter and just want to confirm that the rules regarding TIPs has not changed since Steve's posted reply 11/14. Her TIP expires 4/20/16 along with her 180 tourist visa, however, we are all flying to a wedding in TX which will giver her a new visa and another 180 days. I read that she can't notify Dayana of the new visa expiration date and have her car here legally. Is this still correct?
Gracias~🌴

Who is Dayana?

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

hunteradvisor

Jan 31, 2016, 7:54 AM

Post #6 of 7 (8737 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Temporary resident car status

Phew! Good catch on the auto correct that wrongly missed Aduana.
Also, the sentence should read: one can notify Aduana of the new visa expiration date and have the car here legally. I have received confirmation from one poster saying yes to this process.
Thanks for being a great proof reader.
Holly
Isabel
www.RanchoSolyMar.com

RickS

Jan 31, 2016, 2:06 PM

Post #7 of 7 (8705 views)

Shortcut

Be careful here.... you have changed the question you asked from "can't" to "can". Playaboy's answer was for "can't".

I know of no way to 'change/increase/renew' a TIP once acquired when done with a Tourist Card. IF one brought the vehicle into Mexico and changed to Residente Temporal (and all that implies), then yes the TIP can be renewed annually for up to 4 years, but that did not seem to be the gist of your question.

Once one leaves Mexico on a Tourist Card that has a TIP associated with it, that vehicle must also leave. The moment one turns in the Card at the airport, that left-behind car is now in Mexico illegally and nothing that I know of can subsequently make it legal or tie it to another/new Tourist Card. If someone is saying it can be done (legally) hundreds of folks would like to know how.

On a lighter note, I wonder 'who' this Dayana is that spell checker replaced Aduana with? I googled that word and the pictures I came up with cannot be shown here on this family website!

(This post was edited by RickS on Jan 31, 2016, 2:07 PM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4