Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

MtnWoman

Nov 14, 2014, 11:13 AM

Post #1 of 3 (9880 views)

Shortcut

Open letter to the Snow Birds

Can't Post | Private Reply
First we are glad you are here. We enjoy having you here, and the additional income to local business is a great boost to the economy.

However, we respectfully ask that you do not try to adopt a pet unless you intend to provide a forever home for that pet. Don't think you are helping in any way by taking a dog into your home for a few months. Take it with you NOB when you leave, or don't take it at all. No local shelter runs a Rent-a-Pet service. "Adopting" or "fostering" a dog (or cat) and returning it to the shelter in April is cruel, and horribly hard on the animal, not to mention on the resources of the shelter.

If you miss your NOB pets, volunteer to help at one of the many local shelters. Anita's in San Juan Cosala always needs folks to provide a little face-time, love and attention to the 75+ dogs and cats being housed there. The Friends of Animals Cat Shelter in Riberas will be happy to have you help care for or just snuggle with their cats and kittens. The Dog Ranch, in Chapala, has 80+ dogs who love to be walked or trained and played with in our large exercise pen. Lucky Dog, also in Chapala, has 20+ dogs who would love some additional love and attention as well.

You can find contact information for these Shelters in the pinned section at the top of the Let's Talk About our Furry and Feathered Friends section on Chapala.com.

Thanks for reading this.

yucatandreamer

Nov 14, 2014, 12:38 PM

Post #2 of 3 (9870 views)

Shortcut

Re: [MtnWoman] Open letter to the Snow Birds

Thank you for posting this! I work very part time at a shelter here in Merida and there is nothing sadder than a dog that used to have a family

TxGypsy

Jan 7, 2015, 1:57 PM

Post #3 of 3 (9374 views)

Shortcut

Re: [MtnWoman] Open letter to the Snow Birds

My jaw just hit the floor! People actually do this?!!!!

Just glanced over at my traveling companion for the last 11 1/2 years. I drove to Mazatlan from Texas because that was the best way for him to come with me. There are quite a few things that I do or don't do because of him. When you take a pet into your home you are accepting a responsibility. Wow....just wow!

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4