Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

suenos

Nov 12, 2014, 11:21 AM

Post #1 of 7 (4000 views)

Shortcut

ATM problems

Can't Post | Private Reply
My apologies if there's already a current posting on this. I searched and didn't find one. Is it a common problem using US or Canadian bank cards to have a major bank ATM print out that it gave you the money, and have it come out of your foreign bank but the money not be dispensed? In Puerto Escondido it's been an issue on and off in recent years, typically at the HSBC. Banks such as the CIBC take many weeks to complete the investigation and return the $ to your account. It's said to be that the communication breaks down between the ATM and international connection during the transaction. Some of us in Puerto are curious as to how common it occurs elsewhere in Mexico.

Rolly

Nov 12, 2014, 12:03 PM

Post #2 of 7 (3990 views)

Shortcut

Re: [suenos] ATM problems

Sometimes it is the ATM itself that is defective. I ran into that at a bank in Gomez Palacio. After the second time, I spoke with a representative in the bank who admitted that they knew the machine was unreliable. I switched banks.

Rolly Pirate

fordmexico

Nov 12, 2014, 1:22 PM

Post #3 of 7 (3979 views)

Shortcut

I have used my USA debit card several times per month for over 6 years now at various HSBC ATM's in Mexico City with never a problem. I once had a double debit on a withdrawal from a Bancomer ATM but it was cleared up in 2-3 days. I always use "inside" ATM's at bank branches or at major stores like Walmart or Chedraui. Sometimes the ATM will reject the transaction most likely due to communications issues.

wjscham

Nov 12, 2014, 7:00 PM

Post #4 of 7 (3945 views)

Shortcut

Re: [fordmexico] ATM problems

We have had this happen to us once in four years just north of PV in Bucerias. The ATM was inside the Scotia bank using a Canadian debit card from the TD Bank. The Scotia Bank Manager said it was not their problem and we would need to contact the TD Bank in Canada which we did. Got our $2000Mxn back in a few months.\

I would categorize this as an occasional occurrance utilizing an imperfect banking system in Mexico.

ColimaCdn

Nov 12, 2014, 7:41 PM

Post #5 of 7 (3937 views)

Shortcut

It happened to us recently in Colima at a Bancomer ATM in Walmart. Screen said "transaction cannot be completed", but the money was out of our RBC account in Canada. It took a full 2 months to rectify but finally received the $870 back into our account, with a huge sigh of relief. We were advised to not use stand-alone ATM's, but only ones attached to a bank, as it is easier to track than the PanAmerican nationwide company that controls the ones that stand alone. It was only once in 6 years, but still a little stressful.

Sunnyvmx

Nov 13, 2014, 4:25 AM

Post #6 of 7 (3890 views)

Shortcut

Re: [ColimaCdn] ATM problems

Yes, in 7 years it has happened twice. Once in San Andreas, Veracruz and once in Chapala at the Scotia ATM. Bank of America immediately credits your account with the deducted amount and then takes 90 days to investigate. If the problem is not found, the money is again deducted. The first time I lost the $400+, but the second time the refund was not taken back. It's important to always get a receipt in case the error isn't found and then the bank will ask for the receipt to be faxed to them for further investigation.
It was a hard lesson, but one well earned so I never take more than 5000 pesos out at any one time.

Mstonge

Nov 16, 2014, 8:22 AM

Post #7 of 7 (3741 views)

Shortcut

For having worked many years in customer service with the largest Canadian Bank, this can happen anywhere and at any time - for example, using a Canadian debit card in a Canadian ATM machine. The investigation only takes longer when it's an international transaction. You must, in all cases, be able to present a receipt from the ATM machine to launch the investigation - so, never decline when offered to print a receipt during your transaction. Your account may be credited back immediately, depending on the amount involved and your standing with the Bank - and as mentioned above, according to the investigation results, might be debited again or not.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4