Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

fordmexico

Nov 7, 2014, 2:30 PM

Post #1 of 9 (18830 views)

Shortcut

ATT to Buy Iusacell

Can't Post | Private Reply
Mexico's telecommunications reform gets a big boost as ATT announces today that it is buying Mexico's 3rd largest mobile carrier. Earlier, ATT made a deal to buy DirecTV which has a 41.3% interest in SKY TV - Mexico which provides pay tv service by satellite.

Click on the link to a Business Week article for more info.

http://www.businessweek.com/...-for-2-dot-5-billion

Will it result in better service or lower rates?

(This post was edited by RickS on Nov 7, 2014, 3:16 PM)

johanson

Nov 8, 2014, 6:05 AM

Post #2 of 9 (18759 views)

Shortcut

Re: [fordmexico] ATT to Buy Iusacell

I just read the same article on Facebook. I figure the greater the competition the better the changes we will be paying less per minute. At first blush, this looks like a great thing.
Here's hoping :)

esperanza

Nov 8, 2014, 6:14 AM

Post #3 of 9 (18756 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] ATT to Buy Iusacell

Frankly, it makes me nervous. Iusacell is our Internet provider in Mexico City, via the cable company Totalplay. We have been extremely satisfied with both service (one outage in 3 years) and speed (consistent 25mb upload) for the last 3 years. Who knows what we have to look forward to.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

johanson

Nov 8, 2014, 10:04 AM

Post #4 of 9 (18721 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] ATT to Buy Iusacell

I have heard very good comments about Iusacell. In fact they opened a new Cell phone office more than a year ago in the newer Laguna Shopping mall just North of Wal-Mart here along the shores of Lake Chapala. Sadly they recently closed, I'm guessing because they didn't have enough business

fordmexico

Nov 8, 2014, 12:50 PM

Post #5 of 9 (18700 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] ATT to Buy Iusacell

Ricardo Salinas is keeping the fiber optic network that includes Totalplay. The sale will generate funds that will allow Salinas to build out the Totalplay network.

We would love to see it come to our area as satellite is now our only choice for TV and Telmex our sole choice for internet. Although the Infinitum service has been very good in the past we are still not hooked up to its fiber optic network despite having a cable running under our street. Service from Sky is a different story and would cause us to switch to a cable service in a minute for both technical and financial reasons.

Between both personal and company cell phone service experience in the USA we would rate ATT AFTER T-Mobile, Verizon and even Sprint. Having a major competitor might help lower prices for both service and cell phones and perhaps create a wider range of monthly service plans in addition to the more prominent pay as you go service we have now.

Given the close connections between Carlos Slim and ATT, I am a bit surprised that ATT did not first go after the parts of Telcel that Slim will need to sell.

RickS

Nov 8, 2014, 3:23 PM

Post #6 of 9 (18671 views)

Shortcut

"Given the close connections between Carlos Slim and ATT, I am a bit surprised that ATT did not first go after the parts of Telcel that Slim will need to sell."

Maybe that's a 'stay tuned' item......

JuanCha

Feb 23, 2015, 6:25 PM

Post #7 of 9 (17970 views)

Shortcut

ATT international plans for Mexico have gotten significantly WORSE since their announced acquisition of IusaCel. ATT has also recently purchased NexTel the popular northern Mexico cell company.

I have with ATT for about four years now, while living much of the year in Mexico (Chiapas). My bill almost doubled, while my useage remained the same or less, when a few months ago my old plan was eliminated and the "new, improved, cheaper" plan was introduced. ATT customer service via their phone CS reps has deteriorated significantly also.

My perception (as an former Fortune 100 corporate guy) is that ATT is now run by accountants and neo-marketing types who tout their coverage and size while steadily charging (a lot) more and delivering less. I am about to leave ATT for another carrier - just like I left Verizon for similar reasons years ago.
JuanCha de: Santa Fe NM, San Cristobal de Las Casas Chiapas, San Diego CA

chinagringo

Feb 23, 2015, 7:04 PM

Post #8 of 9 (17961 views)

Shortcut

Re: [JuanCha] ATT to Buy Iusacell

Now that you have gone through Verizon and ATT - good luck with finding an alternative NOB! We initially had our cell service through Qwest in NM and they had a very reasonable plan for phone use in Mexico that ironically was run through the Sprint network. When CenturyLink bought out Qwest, they started pushing Verizon and we weren't about to go there again! So we went to Sprint. While they have decent service and plans for NM - they are absolutely horrible for use in Mexico!

Please inform of just what the answer is!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Cm1401

Feb 24, 2015, 7:08 AM

Post #9 of 9 (17911 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] ATT to Buy Iusacell

ATT now provides unlimited calling to Mexico, no charge for 5 bucks a month and 1 cent a minute to Canada,

I have been using for a month, if you want a USA based phone to use south of the boarder, then I would recommend their GoPhone, it is only 25 cent in bound and out bound,

I use local service in Mexico and have magic jack on it to call back to the US and Canada and for folks NOB to call SOB, but calling not to the USA a is now included in my plans so I won't be using as much for those calls.

Workers quite well, and now that you get to use all of the credits on Telcel for minutes and data, I don't have to feed ' meter ' on Telcel since I have a few thousand pesos credit.

The rules are changing
Cerritos Beach, El Pescadero

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4