Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

los arboles resident

Nov 5, 2014, 6:34 PM

Post #1 of 9 (4220 views)

Shortcut

Pemex

Can't Post | Private Reply
Just a quick heads up on Pemex gas attendants. Was travelling just past Saltillo today and needed gas. When I got out of my vehicle to let the attendant know which grade to use I was distracted by a guy selling fruit. Long enough to forget to check the reading on the pump. I know that the gauge on my vehicle indicated that the fill should of been just over 500 peso.
The pesos on the pump read 890 pesos. That would of been over 3/4 of a tank. I tried to question it but the attendant denied leaving the pump on from the last customer. This won't happen to me again. I just won't pull into a Pemex with all kinds of people around the pump. I know this is not happening everywhere. But it sure soured my day.

CozICan

Nov 5, 2014, 9:40 PM

Post #2 of 9 (4191 views)

Shortcut

Re: [los arboles resident] Pemex

Actually, these Pemex scams are happening pretty much everywhere in Mexico. I have been ripped off where I live here on Cozumel, In Cabo San Lucas and in Matamoros. Each of these times a different method was used to rip me off, they have lots of tricks to use. I always check the pump being zeroed out and it still happens..

playaboy

Nov 6, 2014, 3:14 AM

Post #3 of 9 (4185 views)

Shortcut

Try ordering your fuel by the liter instead of saying "lleno". Use 20 liter increments. Then you just watch out for the old bill switch trick.

sioux4noff

Nov 6, 2014, 9:08 AM

Post #4 of 9 (4146 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] Pemex

We generally ask for a set peso amount, and pay attention.

TedZar

Nov 6, 2014, 9:19 AM

Post #5 of 9 (4145 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sioux4noff] Pemex

I agree with the above. I always order by set peso amount. They already know that you know how much that will put in your tank and there will be a problem otherwise.

esperanza

Nov 6, 2014, 9:31 AM

Post #6 of 9 (4138 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] Pemex

The reason behind the 20-liter request is that PROFECO tests Pemex gas pumps in 20-liter increments. Your first 20 liters should actually be 20 liters. If you ask for a peso amount (say 500 pesos or whatever you choose), you might get the first 20 liters accurately, but after that it's anybody's guess.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

sioux4noff

Nov 6, 2014, 9:54 AM

Post #7 of 9 (4133 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Pemex

If I spent all my time worrying about the many ways a place could rip me off, I'd probably never leave the house.
Unless I'm pumping that gas into a measured container, asking for xx liters is no more assurance of getting a correct amount than a set peso amount. If I ask for 200 pesos worth, I pay with a 200 peso bill and don't have to worry about bill switching, or miscounted change, yada yada.
I also try to patronize the same gas station, where they know we are local customers.
And I can say for certain, I can avoid any liklihood of Pemex scam by walking, biking or taking public transportation. :)

Rolly

Nov 6, 2014, 11:05 AM

Post #8 of 9 (4116 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sioux4noff] Pemex

When I was still driving, I always used the same station. I chose that station because that's where many taxis bought gas. I figured a taxi driver would be alert to shorting and other scams. I always bought by the peso -- usually $300. If I had a $500 bill, I would hold it up very plainly for everybody to see. Never had a problem.

One day, I bought $300 worth and paid with a $500. I failed to notice that the attendant gave me 3 $100s instead of 2. When I got home, I found the error. I knew the guy would have to make up the shortage from his meager pay, so I returned to the station to give him the extra hundred, He was so happy I thought he would kiss me.

Rolly Pirate

TxGypsy

Nov 20, 2014, 4:35 PM

Post #9 of 9 (3904 views)

Shortcut

I have a locking gas cap. Lots of times it isn't locked, but they assume it is. So they don't immediately get the pump going since they ask me for the key. That gives me time to make sure the pump is cleared before telling them that is isn't locked.

LOL...this time I may take the Prius down rather than the truck.....only so much gas that will go in that tiny tank. Couldn't get ripped off by very much! Of course when I drive the old farm truck they probably figure that I don't have 2 pesos to rub together ;)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4