Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Jalisco's Lake Chapala Region

WilliamG

Oct 22, 2014, 6:26 PM

Post #1 of 23 (10486 views)

Shortcut

La Mision: A Restaurant with a Mission in Ajijic

| Private Reply
We just ate at a new lakeside restaurant, La Mision. It is located on the west side of town, on Rio Bravo and it is excellent. The restaurant specializes in steaks and fowl (chicken, duck and quail). The atmosphere is elegant and upscale, with outdoor and indoor dining. What is unique about La Mision is that it actually is a restaurant with a mission, and that is to take the profits and invest them in education and training programs for single mothers, who have no other means of support, in order to train them to be self supporting. Their goal is to feed the poor and homebound in our community.

So, if you visit Lake Chapala, make sure to eat at La Mision and eat well while doing good. You can read a full review of La Mision and see some pictures of a beautiful restaurant and scrumptious food at http://www.lakechapalarestaurantguide.blogspot.mx/

(This post was edited by WilliamG on Oct 22, 2014, 6:28 PM)

Gringal

Oct 23, 2014, 9:59 AM

Post #2 of 23 (10445 views)

Shortcut

Re: [WilliamG] La Mision: A Restaurant with a Mission in Ajijic

| Private Reply
This project is connected with some local churches and I understand it involves religious teaching of children along with their other activities. I'm mentioning this because I'm in favor of full disclosure by any charitable group.
I am also in favor of leaving the choice of any religion children are exposed to up to their parent or parents.

IMO, hoping to make a significant profit in the high end restaurant business is a daunting challenge for the most experienced people, so it strikes me as an unusually hard way to raise money for charity.

About the food and service: I had lunch there once and the prices there were higher than for comparable or better meals elsewhere. Otherwise, it was okay; nothing special. I have seen some reviews that suggest it is superlative. Matter of opinion.

Personally, I'd rather give my money directly to a charity of my choice rather than support a restaurant just because they have a charitable connection.

(This post was edited by Gringal on Oct 23, 2014, 10:42 AM)

WilliamG

Oct 23, 2014, 10:33 AM

Post #3 of 23 (10429 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gringal] La Mision: A Restaurant with a Mission in Ajijic

| Private Reply
My former profession was as a fundraiser for a large, bi-state charity that raised money for all sorts of projects that helped women, children and families. I can tell you that the trend - at least for the past 15 years - has been towards social entrepreneurship so that the important financial needs of charitable projects are not tied to the whims of funders.

You are misinformed about how charities raise money. Specifically, the Kaufmann Foundation in Kansas City encouraged this way of raising funds. There are a number of non-profit small businesses in KCMO that do exactly what La Mision is attempting, running a small café while providing job training to those who have fallen through the cracks in the social safety net.

Also, there is no prohibition on religious organizations reaching out to help those in the community while expressing their own core beliefs and values. Yours is a narrow minded and intolerant position towards those with whom you do not agree. If you do not like the idea of Christians extending support to the children and single mothers lakeside, then by all means, don't eat there. I often wonder why those of you who are anti-Christian are so full of hatred that you would deny the needy in the community help if it comes from people of faith.

Your experience was not what we had during two visits to La Mision, and I would encourage those who want to eat a good meal, and who feel good about supporting a worthy charity, to give them a try. I, for one, am in full support of projects like La Mision and wish them the best of luck in their endeavors.

Gringal

Oct 23, 2014, 10:53 AM

Post #4 of 23 (10419 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Your post expresses your position very well, especially the accusation of my being anti-anyone. I'm in favor of being for freedom without undue influence, especially for children and the needy. At least we all now know where you're coming from.

I've noticed that the first line of those promoting a cause is to please; then it's often followed by fire, brimstone and anger.

I am not misinformed about charities; your approach is not uncommon.

The point of my post was disclosure. Period.

yucatandreamer

Oct 23, 2014, 12:54 PM

Post #5 of 23 (10400 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Just a thank you Gringal for expressing your opinion. I am so very tired here in Merida of the "fundraisers" and excuses to support oneself doing good works. I too am perfectly able to give money to a worthy cause without a glass of wine and a free botana in my hand. Further a high end restaurant that raises money for the less fortunate creates in me a certain "let them eat cake" skin crawling feeling and was grateful when I read they original post that we haven't done that here yet.

I also think it is very important to be aware of any hidden agendas that a charity may have, be it Christian or otherwise. Certainly we would all be horrified to learn that we had been funneling money to terrorists in the name of good works.

Gringal

Oct 23, 2014, 1:59 PM

Post #6 of 23 (10394 views)

Shortcut

Re: [yucatandreamer] La Mision: A Restaurant with a Mission in Ajijic

| Private Reply
I'll put it this way: I have complete respect for the folks at the Salvation Army, where anyone coming in for a meal knows up front that there's going to be a sermon along with it. That's fair.

Charities come in all flavors: If you read the list of top grossing charities in the U.S. through a web search, you'll find that the largest percentage of the money collected went to "administrative" costs. Some of the most famous are at the top of the list.
That's not to say there aren't plenty of people doing good in many ways. Some originate with religious denominations and are clearly labeled as such. No problem.

The kind of charity I can get behind, for example, is the one we, our pickup, our time and our gas money were involved in back in SMA, and I understand it's in many other places as well.

Once a year there was a huge fundraiser with a fairly high price tag. This money and other donations went to establishing kitchens in the poorest towns, usually in the local public schoolhouse. Merchants would donate the food; volunteers like us would take it to those poverty stricken towns, some of which were on almost impassable roads far out in the country. In many of them, there was no one around but old people, mothers and kids. There was no other agenda but just that: feeding the hungry kids. Naturally, a lot of the food went home, too.
I'm sure it's still going strong. That's my kind of charity.

DavidHF

Oct 23, 2014, 2:53 PM

Post #7 of 23 (10373 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
We are not in KCMO. We are Lakeside where there are many charities that do good work without employing any religious message. I'm especially supportive of those that provide care for abandoned, abused, or handicaped children sans preaching or evangelizing. Should I learn that there's a religious agenda my contributions will go elsewhere.

citlali

Oct 24, 2014, 9:33 AM

Post #8 of 23 (10318 views)

Shortcut

Re: [DavidHF] La Mision: A Restaurant with a Mission in Ajijic

| Private Reply
Same here.

bournemouth

Oct 24, 2014, 10:31 AM

Post #9 of 23 (10306 views)

Shortcut

Re: [citlali] La Mision: A Restaurant with a Mission in Ajijic

| Private Reply
Us too.

citlali

Oct 24, 2014, 10:50 AM

Post #10 of 23 (10299 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

I worked for many years for Seagram and I was a vp in charge of the business in 13 Western states
. We would be asked daily to participate in charity events and to donate wines and liquor.on a daily basis.
. Unless the charity was one the Chairman´s designated charity like Meals on Wheels and others we would chose to give to highly visible events that would get press or would involve life style leaders or famous people.

I attended my share of black ties,,,one day someone from the high society in San Francisco decided it would be really cool to have a black tie cocktail party in the middle of Union Square . It would be a fund raiser to feed the poor which were next door in the tenderloin. All the parties costs were deducted from the proceed and the rest would go to feed the hungry.
All the top society arrived and was having a grand all time when all the bums and suspicious characters of the Tenderloin arrived and mobbed the party. They ate fed the best caviar , champagne and liquor and had a grand old time rioting., The police was called and we had a mini riot.. Herb Cain was there and had a great time writing about it...

This is how charities work:

The companies get brand exposure and publicity

The rich get a tax deduction for their nice parties and the poor get a tiny amount of what is given

. Frankly if all these rich people had given the money direcly to the charity of their choice the money would hav gone a whole lot further ,

Trying to do that with a new business is an interesting idea but future will tell if it can work.

Gringal

Oct 24, 2014, 11:22 AM

Post #11 of 23 (10294 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
For those who don't wish their charitable contributions to go to places with a religious agenda, check out "Love in Action" and "Hope House", which do. There are others as well. They seldom include their religious connections and evangelical purposes in their fund raising advertising.
That's usually focused only on helping a needy segment of the population.

This is just FYI : I'm not saying these aren't people who are trying to do good. Some involve some very heavy duty religious indoctrination aspects; some not so much.

If you check out their web sites, you can usually find out who's in charge and the agenda as well.

(This post was edited by Gringal on Oct 24, 2014, 11:36 AM)

citlali

Oct 24, 2014, 11:32 AM

Post #12 of 23 (10288 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Actually are they hungry people whould be he firs question to ask. I see a lot of malnutricion because of poor diet and ignorence more than hunger.
Teaching women how to feed their family on a low budget with healty food would probably go a ong way to help out many people.
There is also a huge need in many families on ideas on what to eat when hit with diabetes or how to prevent it..
Doctors tell people what they cannot have but most poor people do not now what to eat then and continue having what they should not have.
I think DIF gives classes but I am not sure if that subject is covered.

Yes there are plenty of charities not connected to churches if that is what peope are looking for.

Gringal

Oct 24, 2014, 11:44 AM

Post #13 of 23 (10287 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Sadly, it is true in many places, including Mexico and the U.S. where very essential information about having the best nutrition on a limited budget is not known by the people who need it the most.

I mentioned that I was involved in one of the programs that, in addition to delivering food supplies to the poorest villages, also gave information to the families about making the best use of what they had.

I'll abstain from my rant about the connection between childhood obesity, diabetes and the ubiquitous presence of the Coca Cola company in Mexico.

(This post was edited by Gringal on Oct 24, 2014, 11:46 AM)

chinagringo

Oct 24, 2014, 2:31 PM

Post #14 of 23 (10261 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
http://www.care.org/

As the above website states: "To serve individuals and families in the poorest communities in the world." Anyone who was around in the 50's, 60's or 70's probably remembers CARE?

In the early 60's when living in Bombay, India, our entire family came down with varying degrees of Hepatitis. Our family doctor said: "no whole milk - only skim milk". While whole powdered milk was easy to find, skim was virtually impossible. Since I was least affected, I was sent off to the market in search of. The only powdered skim milk I could find was a 2 kilo plain cardboard box with the following on the front panel: "CARE PRODUCT donated to the People of India by the People of the United States - Not to be SOLD or Bartered For" I had to pay the equivalent of $26.00USD in Indian Rupees for that 2 kilo box!

Obviously left a lasting impression of the waste and abuses built into many charitable efforts!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

drope

Nov 8, 2014, 9:01 PM

Post #15 of 23 (9970 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Thank you gringal for the information. I support who I wish as my choice and this doesn't fit my missions. There are other good restaurants around here.

drope

Nov 10, 2014, 9:01 AM

Post #16 of 23 (9861 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Yes!

Chapala Payaso

Nov 10, 2014, 10:27 AM

Post #17 of 23 (9841 views)

Shortcut

Re: [drope] La Mision: A Restaurant with a Mission in Ajijic

| Private Reply
As I scrolled down this string, if I didn't know better, I would assume that any charity affiliated with a religious group should not be supported because the finding given to the charity goes to the religious group. In actuality, it is the religious group that is supporting the charity to offset shortcomings in funds that the charity cannot raise by itself. Whether a charity is one you feel is worthy of your support is your decision. And whether you feel that the food is to your taste is also your decision. As for me, I choose to believe that charities are doing the best for people that they can. There are many to pick from if you so choose.

(This post was edited by Chapala Payaso on Nov 10, 2014, 10:30 AM)

drope

Nov 10, 2014, 12:44 PM

Post #18 of 23 (9822 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Chapala Payaso] La Mision: A Restaurant with a Mission in Ajijic

| Private Reply
Charity is giving without expecting something in return. The religious groups that came here from out of country, that operate various shelters and orphanages for children force their ideologies on the children they allege to support.Yes it's better to be fed food but the ideology will make them pariahs in a predominently catholic community,Mexico,when the support is over. 2 of the charities operating shelters here are Ministries/Evangalists that have websites that tout the facilities here as a stepping stone to get recruits "feet wet" and fan out all over Mexico to "spread the word". Thanks to gringal from a few years back, I found these sites.Unfortunately when Love In Action and Hope House were taken over by this type of organization they lost a lot of the volunteers who did not share their "vision". I and others prefer to support charities of our choosing. there are plenty around that don't do what these do. I have no problem giving to facilities operated by the Catholic church or in the case of Ninos y Jovenes which is operated by 1 priest without the sanction of the Catholic church. It is a residential school with a large indigenous population of about 140 children at any given time. I am an atheist but have nothing against religions operating charities if they don't mess with the culture.

citlali

Nov 10, 2014, 1:10 PM

Post #19 of 23 (9817 views)

Shortcut

Re: [drope] La Mision: A Restaurant with a Mission in Ajijic

| Private Reply
I would not worry about the kids being "pariahs"there are pleny of Evangelists in the country and the protestant religions are growing .I would not support that cause because there is something very creepy about someone claiming they will give a percentage of the profit to their cause when everyone knows that just about no one in that restaurant has large profit and it is very easy not to have any profit..

Gringal

Nov 10, 2014, 1:40 PM

Post #20 of 23 (9812 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
I have no objection to various religious groups setting up charitable organizations.
Much good can be done and we have no shortage of the needy in Mexico.

I do expect them to provide their religious affiliations, and whether part of their program involves evangelizing the people they help and providing religious education to their children.

I had to make a very extensive internet search to find the original movers and shakers. Most are centered in the U.S. and you can send your contributions to the U.S. Post Boxes they maintain.

Many people don't yet know that the Operation Compassion Ministry, Hope House and Love in Action are all religious outreach organizations.

In the end, La Mision will need to stand on its merits regarding food and service. There are a lot more direct methods of helping the poor.

(This post was edited by Gringal on Nov 10, 2014, 1:57 PM)

Chapala Payaso

Nov 10, 2014, 7:42 PM

Post #21 of 23 (9776 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
My last word on topic, and a brief one it will be, is this. Unless we are talking about Islam as it is being presented today, it is far better for kids to be brought up with some religious background than none. I would really prefer children to learn their values in a religious setting than on the street. I also believe that a religious rearing is preferable to a secular. God says so is more authoritative than the state says so. Fin.

chinagringo

Nov 10, 2014, 7:54 PM

Post #22 of 23 (9775 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Chapala Payaso] La Mision: A Restaurant with a Mission in Ajijic

| Private Reply
OK fine! How can one dispute such a position? I even dug the "tablet" out of the closest and it did confirm your position!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

RickS

Nov 11, 2014, 6:09 AM

Post #23 of 23 (9745 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
This discussion has migrated a long way from the OPs Post.... closing.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4