Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

jl1

Oct 20, 2014, 6:36 PM

Post #1 of 8 (3362 views)

Shortcut

Driving Across the Border

Can't Post | Private Reply
I am in L.A. waiting for the title of a van I bought to drive to Sayulita, but the title seems to have been lost in the mail and there is a 30 day waiting period to even APPLY for a new one! So I am seeking alternatives because I need to be in Sayulita by Nov. 1 to close on a new house I bought. Does anyone know if I can have a friend--he will be on the registration--drive across and get a 6 month tourist sticker without having the title? I can't do it because I am a permanent resident. I would then drive the vehicle back to L.A. within the 6 month time frame and drive back across with the title and nationalize with the help of Oscar in Nogales. I need to make a decision in the next few days, so if you have an answer for me please let me know asap. Feel free to contact me directly. Thanks!

RickS

Oct 20, 2014, 7:13 PM

Post #2 of 8 (3338 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jl1] Driving Across the Border

Two thoughts....either will work
1) get the TIP online...it will be mailed to you via DHL within 5 days
2) you can get the TIP at the border with the Registration...title not needed.

YucaLandia

Oct 20, 2014, 7:36 PM

Post #3 of 8 (3329 views)

Shortcut

On the official website, to apply for a Temporary Import Permit (TIP) before you get to the border:
https://www.banjercito.com.mx/registroVehiculos/Condiciones.do

The basic requirements are:
~ Evidence of Citizenship, i.e. a Government Issued Passport
~ If you are not a Mexican citizen, a valid Mexican temporary resident or visitors immigration permit.
~ The Vehicle Title and registration certificate. A bill of sale is not valid proof.
~ A Valid Driver's License with photo.
~ If the vehicle had a prior Temporary Permit, then you need a certificate of canceled import permit for any prior temporary import permits.
~ If the vehicle is financed, is a rental car, is leased, and/or a company car, a notarized letter of permission for importation of the vehicle into Mexico is required from the lien holder or lending institution.
~ An International Credit Card (American Express, Mastercard, Visa) in the name fo the driver of the vehicle (importer).
~ If the title of the vehicle is in the name of a spouse, child, or parents - a birth certificate must be presented or a marriage license.
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

jl1

Oct 20, 2014, 7:47 PM

Post #4 of 8 (3319 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Driving Across the Border

Hi, and thanks for the quick reply. The problem is the conflicting info about whether or not a title is needed. Your reply was followed by Rolly's, in which he states that the title is required. I was told by a broker last month that a title was NOT required--just the registration. But he is not calling me back to confirm. But before I commit to financing a trip and return air fare for my friend I need DEFINITIVE info regarding the title/registration question. Anybody else? Thanks!

chinagringo

Oct 20, 2014, 8:13 PM

Post #5 of 8 (3306 views)

Shortcut

"DEFINITIVE info regarding the title/registration question."

For Mexico? Surely you jest! The only consistency in Mexico is it's inconsistency and that is what makes it so much fun and entertaining!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

roberth

Oct 20, 2014, 8:50 PM

Post #6 of 8 (3296 views)

Shortcut

My experience at the international bridge in McAllen was that they required the title of my car, as well as the registration. But take that with a grain of salt, as they were also convinced that I had to be back at that Aduana office exactly 180 days after my TIP was issued in order to renew. Definitely misinformed there, so who knows what your experience will be. It's hard to give definitive answers after the experience I've had moving down here.

playaboy

Oct 21, 2014, 6:34 AM

Post #7 of 8 (3259 views)

Shortcut

I assume you are in Los Angeles.

I suggest you take all the paperwork you have, to the Mexican consulate in LA or San Bernardino. There are Banjercito windows at these consulates where you can process and receive a TIP. That way you will know for sure if a registration is good enough and your plan can work.

You do realize you are taking a chance driving a USA plated vehicle with a permanente visa.

chicois8

Oct 21, 2014, 8:28 AM

Post #8 of 8 (3222 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] Driving Across the Border

I am buying a new car and will not have the title,registration or license plates when I will cross the border so I wrote to Banercito and here was their response:

Good afternoon,

Kindly apply for your temporary import permit using your US or Canadian Passport and the Bill of Sale for your vehicle we will accept registration as well.

Best regards.

El 10/15/14 05:51 p.m., Erik Fernandez Carranza <efernandez@banjercito.com.mx> escribió:
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4