Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

jwallacq

Oct 12, 2014, 9:11 AM

Post #1 of 7 (3200 views)

Shortcut

Best car brands for easy parts & service in Mexico?

Can't Post | Private Reply
I am getting ready to buy a used vehicle in the USA for a trip to southern Mexico, and the last thing I want is to have trouble getting parts and/or service, so I was wondering which brands/models I should be looking for and which ones I should avoid at all costs.

I will be buying either a minivan or a small SUV or maybe a mini-pickup truck, probably around model year 1999 or 2000.

Thanks in advance!

donemry

Oct 13, 2014, 7:44 AM

Post #2 of 7 (3136 views)

Shortcut

Re: [jwallacq] Best car brands for easy parts & service in Mexico?

In no particular order, Nissan, Toyota, Ford, Chevrolet, Dodge/Chrysler, Volkswagen

(This post was edited by donemry on Oct 13, 2014, 7:45 AM)

Aaron+

Oct 13, 2014, 7:52 AM

Post #3 of 7 (3129 views)

Shortcut

Two points to consider:

1. Not all vehicles, even with the same model name, have the same parts in Mexico as in the USA. It is possible to have U.S. parts shipped into Mexico (transport and taxes added) if needed. You may even find that a car assembled in Mexico, but sold in the U.S. market, will have parts not available domestically within Mexico.

2. Do not know your Mexican immigration status. If planning to be here for years as a form of resident, with the intention of eventually nationalizing your vehicle, recall that current law still requires that the vehicle VIN indicate manufacture in Mexico, Canada, or the USA. Lot of info on that throughout Mexconnect!

Rolly

Oct 13, 2014, 8:38 AM

Post #4 of 7 (3115 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Aaron+] Best car brands for easy parts & service in Mexico?

" You may even find that a car assembled in Mexico, but sold in the U.S. market, will have parts not available domestically within Mexico."
My Dodge pickup, which I bought in Los Angeles, was built in México. However, when I needed a certain repair part, it had it be ordered from the USA.
While I was at the Dodge dealership here in Torreón, I was able to look under the hood of an "identical" Mexican pickup -- very different from mine.

Rolly Pirate

fordmexico

Oct 13, 2014, 6:06 PM

Post #5 of 7 (3066 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Aaron+] Best car brands for easy parts & service in Mexico?

True,while there is more standardization between vehicles in the NAFTA market area, it is not uncommon to find differences. Vehicles produced for the domestic Mexican market often have different suspension and brake parts to account for different driving styles and road conditions.

The makes that have the widest parts distributions are VW and Nissan which not so coincidentally, have also been the market leaders in Mexico for a long-time. Ford and GM dealers can be found in most small cities but parts availability may be less common in less populated communities.

jwallacq

Oct 13, 2014, 9:49 PM

Post #6 of 7 (3041 views)

Shortcut

Re: [donemry] Best car brands for easy parts & service in Mexico?

Thanks for the advice (and thanks to everybody else who replied also).

Your list sounds pretty reasonable. What about Honda?? I know they exist in Mexico, but are they still rare?

Other people brought up the question of Mexican versions vs. American versions using different parts. That's a good point, but -- as a practical matter -- I don't know if there is much I could do about it except to hope for the best.

Thanks again!

esperanza

Oct 14, 2014, 4:48 AM

Post #7 of 7 (3031 views)

Shortcut

Where I live (Mexico City), it's very common to see Hondas. Everything from the Fit to the Pilot is everywhere in the city. Every city of any size has at least one Honda dealership. Honda has a huge manufacturing plant in El Salto, Jalisco, and an even larger plant in Celaya, Guanajuato.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4