Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

bethanyjak

Oct 7, 2014, 3:50 PM

Post #1 of 5 (2495 views)

Shortcut

Driving a vehicle with a bank lien and temp plates

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hi, I am buying a used vehicle from a dealer in the states.
My bank gave me a loan and will write a letter of
Permission to bring the car to mexico. I will only have the
Temporary plate (paper) to stick on the car as it will
Take a month to receive real plates and I cannot wait that long.
Is this ok to drive with?

RickS

Oct 7, 2014, 7:37 PM

Post #2 of 5 (2473 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bethanyjak] Driving a vehicle with a bank lien and temp plates

To travel into Mexico farther than the 'Frontier' zone, you will have to get a "Temporary Import Permit" for the car. In order to get a TIP, one must have either a title (in your name) or a Registration document. I am not sure that you will get any kind of documentation with that paper plate that will allow you to get your TIP.

bournemouth

Oct 8, 2014, 7:07 AM

Post #3 of 5 (2436 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Driving a vehicle with a bank lien and temp plates

Several years back we crossed at Nogales with a new vehicle, temporary registration and no plates. We were asked for the bill of sale from the dealer and all was well - but there are no guarantees that it would be that way now.

Aaron+

Oct 9, 2014, 11:01 AM

Post #4 of 5 (2370 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Driving a vehicle with a bank lien and temp plates

The New Mexico Border Authority provides details on what you need to do to export a used car at
http://www.nmborder.com/Vehicle_Exports.aspx (the write-up refers specifically to a New Mexican exit point, but seems generally applicable). Their write-up mentions the permit you need from U.S. Customs -- which up to recently most of us probably never knew existed and accordingly did not obtain. Do note the 72 hour business, no crossing the border into Mexico until at least 72 hours after receiving the permit.

The write-up does not note that your car must have been manufactured in the U.S., Canada, or Mexico. No Japan etc. It instead refers obliquely that the car should have been purchased in the U.S. or Canada, which is insufficient info. Also, the car has to be a certain specific age, no more nor less. If you check the postings on importing a car to Mexico, Silvia's posts and services appear to be about as reliable a source as you can find.

I believe more and more, expats will find it time and cost effective to buy in Mexico rather than import from the U.S. or Canada.

bournemouth

Oct 9, 2014, 12:03 PM

Post #5 of 5 (2364 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Aaron+] Driving a vehicle with a bank lien and temp plates

Aaron - I think the OP is just getting a temporary import permit, not importing and nationalizing the vehicle mentioned.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4