Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

nicoli

Oct 7, 2014, 5:07 PM

Post #1 of 18 (6789 views)

Shortcut

What to expect at border crossing with Aduana

Can't Post | Private Reply
My family and I are excited to move to Mexico this month, and will be driving through the Nogales crossing south on Hwy 15 with a number of household goods. I've traveled and driven in Mexico several times however this will be the first time crossing the US-Mexico border by car. I already already have my Residente Temporal stamp in passport (not the official card yet) and my TIP in hand (via online).

The following is what I'm expecting at the border with Aduana based on research, but I wanted to make sure this seems accurate to folks here who have gone through this process several times:

- I am preparing a detailed Household Goods / Menaje "TYPE" list.

- After I cross the border at Nogales (Mariposa exit) and get my passport stamped at the offices, I am expecting there will be two lines of cars I will choose from ("Nothing to Declare" and "Items to Declare")

- I plan to choose the "Items to Declare" and hand over my menaje TYPE list

- IF things run smoothly from what I've read here, customs agents will most likely check to see if the list corresponds to one or two boxes, and waive me through.

Does this all sound like an accurate expectation and am I missing anything important?

Thanks so much for any advice!

Nick

chicois8

Oct 7, 2014, 7:54 PM

Post #2 of 18 (6763 views)

Shortcut

Re: [nicoli] What to expect at border crossing with Aduana

You will have to stop at KM21 first to get your FMM and have the TIP validated and pay your auto deposit...Then you enter the declare / non declare lanes...On your "M list" be sure to have serial numbers of all electronic items listed.......
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

sparks

Oct 8, 2014, 6:37 AM

Post #3 of 18 (6726 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chicois8] What to expect at border crossing with Aduana

Customs used to be a ways south of KM21 and was a Red/Green light as you drove over the sensor. Not any more?

Sparks Mexico Blog - Sparks Costalegre

hunteradvisor

Oct 8, 2014, 9:33 AM

Post #4 of 18 (6693 views)

Shortcut

Nationalized yesterday in Nogales

It's done! I Natiinalized our '07 Nissan Frontier using Oscar Angulomas my agent. Cost $1220 usd after the recent change in the law 2 weeks ago. Price quoted in June was $980. Arrived in Nogales, AZ, 8:30am, met Oscar drove to the border where we got the green light and then got questioned by customs anyhow as we had 6 bikes and a huge, skylight dome on the roof of our truck. Thank God they never checked inside....no details here, but suffice to say we brought loads of things our neighbors requested that would have been hundreds in taxes. I would suggest not using your Casa de menaje if you can help it, wait and see if you get the red or green light. If you use it I believe you will,have to use a customs broker. If you nationalize your vehicle with Oscar and can pretty well steer you through without declaring.
So we cleared and then went to Oscar's office nearby where we had to unload a village worth of stuff, including the dome and bikes into his office/parking lot. My husband stayed with our worldly goods while I went with Oscar to nationalize. We got a red light as apparently ALL pick ups do, the other 2 clients with regular cars got a green. I had provided a copy of my title and PR visa and $100 to Oscar 3 days earlier. We turned I. The originals at aduana and waited a couple of hours sitting in the truck (yes in the sun). You can buy water, but no food, bring a book and sun block and snacks. Next step was paying $64.00, for the new windshield sticker. Waited a few more hours until they came to put the sticker on and photograph the truck. We left to go back to Oscar's office at about 2:00pm. Another hour re-packing the truck and we were in the road and down to Hermosillo by 6:00 checked into the San Sebastián hotel. Secure parking, clean room and buffet dinner $80.
Aduana closes by 12:00 every day now. According to Oscar you cannot nationalize without an agent. The import fee is random and is about e same for a '97 as an '07. The import fee is between $200-$300, luxury vehicles are more. Not sure where the rest of the $1220 goes, but when I tried to negotiate with Oscar for the $980 he quoted, he said that would. To be enough to even pay aduana. Sooooo how are all of the locals bringing in salvage vehicles, they are not paying $1220 per car. After this experience, I would never,ever buy a used car here. Nearly every vehicle at aduana yesterday was a salvage that will be made over and sold. There is no Carfax here and no way to verify if a car has been totaled.
Insurance: you cannot get insurance until the nationalization is complete, at least with Lewis and Lewis. They require a utility bill showing your address. Fortunately we have another vehicle with them which has sped up the process somewhat. $720 for full coverage and about $300 for liability only. Copy of the title and my passport and a signed copy of the quote returned (this is the hard part). Someone else said Bancomer can issue insurance.
All for now, headed south.
Isabel
www.RanchoSolyMar.com

nicoli

Oct 8, 2014, 11:10 AM

Post #5 of 18 (6674 views)

Shortcut

Re: [hunteradvisor] Nationalized yesterday in Nogales

Thanks so much for sharing, Isabel. Hoping you (or anyone else) could clarify just a couple things:

- Are there two separate "Declare" and "Nothing to Declare" lines we'll need to choose from at the Nogales crossing, or just a red or green light?

- Isabel you also mentioned going through a separate line once you went to Oscar's office and unloaded your belongings. Was this somewhere else further south? We are not nationalizing our vehicle, we have already obtained a Temporary Import Permit or TIP online, and have the sticker already (I also already have my inititial Residente Temporal Visa stamped in my passport). So i'm wondering if we will need to go through that process at all with this additional red/green light?

Thanks for any clarification.

Best,

Nick

sparks

Oct 8, 2014, 2:46 PM

Post #6 of 18 (6657 views)

Shortcut

Re: [nicoli] Nationalized yesterday in Nogales

Aduana/Customs when I went thru a few years ago was close to a mile south of KM21. It's out in the middle of nowhere. At 8 on a cold morning one guy comes out of his tiny office and motions me to drive in the sensor lane. Got the red light, open my van, what's in that box (among many) ... VHS tapes I say. He says adios and heads back to his warm office. I was the only vehicle there for the 10 minutes it took.

Maybe it's changed ??

esperanza

Oct 8, 2014, 3:57 PM

Post #7 of 18 (6644 views)

Shortcut

Hunteradvisor wrote about nationalizing her vehicle.

Nicoli, you are not nationalizing a vehicle, you already have a temporary import permit that you got on line. Temporary import is 180º from nationalization.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

nicoli

Oct 8, 2014, 8:07 PM

Post #8 of 18 (6616 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Nationalized yesterday in Nogales

In Reply To

Nicoli, you are not nationalizing a vehicle, you already have a temporary import permit that you got on line. Temporary import is 180º from nationalization.

Thanks Esperanza, What do you mean by 180 degrees? Opposite side of where naturalization vehicles line up? I'm also still not clear if there are separate lines for "declare" and "nothing to declare" or only a green/red light? Thanks for any clarification, just trying to know what to expect and look for as much as it's possible.

Nick

chicois8

Oct 8, 2014, 8:41 PM

Post #9 of 18 (6612 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] Nationalized yesterday in Nogales

In Reply To
Aduana/Customs when I went thru a few years ago was close to a mile south of KM21. It's out in the middle of nowhere. At 8 on a cold morning one guy comes out of his tiny office and motions me to drive in the sensor lane. Got the red light, open my van, what's in that box (among many) ... VHS tapes I say. He says adios and heads back to his warm office. I was the only vehicle there for the 10 minutes it took.

Maybe it's changed ??

I do not know where you are talking about,the buildings look like they have been in that spot for the last 30 years, there are usually 2 immigration officers helping folks get their FMM, 1 guy outside the immigration door to copy the FMM for the 4 people that work at the Banerjecito....then you go on to the highway for the red/green light and declare / non declare lanes, usually 2 aduana agents there and that is at 6:30 in the morning....

Also they are not in the middle of nowhere, when did you last go through
1967? LOL
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

esperanza

Oct 9, 2014, 6:35 AM

Post #10 of 18 (6594 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

Thanks Esperanza, What do you mean by 180 degrees? Opposite side of where naturalization vehicles line up? I'm also still not clear if there are separate lines for "declare" and "nothing to declare" or only a green/red light? Thanks for any clarification, just trying to know what to expect and look for as much as it's possible.

Nick

Sorry to confuse you: I meant that nationalizing a vehicle is a complex and expensive process that is completely different from obtaining a temporary import permit.

roberth

Oct 9, 2014, 8:51 AM

Post #11 of 18 (6573 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

Nick

This might not be helpful to you, as I used a different crossing, so YMMV, but I brought my list of goods with prices, just a printed out excel sheet, they looked at it, laughed a bit, then used it to process my tax bill without even a glance towards my car.

My only general advice would be to make very sure that they mark the "canje" box on your FMM. The Aduana official who processed my FMM was a little confused at first, and even though I explained and he finally marked the correct box, he must have used an incorrect stamp initially or something, which delayed my getting my RT card from INM for about a month.

Really, the process was quite smooth and relatively quick for me. It would have been much more difficult if I hadn't have had my Mexican girlfriend with my to do all the talking, but that's as much my fault for not speaking Spanish as anything else, I'd say.

Best of luck!

wilpharm

Oct 10, 2014, 8:57 AM

Post #12 of 18 (6529 views)

Shortcut

if not nationalizing it, then what was it??SHe paid 1200 bucks!!!!!!
I'm assuming this is the preliminary paperwork to getting a Mexican set of Plates….We are set up with Oscar for week after next….
Our TIP was about 300 bucks and refundable…for a 07 Jeep Cherokee..
To Nationalize Oscar quoted us about 1300...

esperanza

Oct 10, 2014, 9:41 AM

Post #13 of 18 (6522 views)

Shortcut

Re: [wilpharm] Nationalized yesterday in Nogales

SHE (hunteradvisor) nationalized her car.

The other poster has a temporary import permit.

wilpharm

Oct 10, 2014, 3:37 PM

Post #14 of 18 (6496 views)

Shortcut

my bad, you are right, as usual…sorry..

sparks

Oct 15, 2014, 3:44 PM

Post #15 of 18 (6394 views)

Shortcut

Re: [roberth] Nationalized yesterday in Nogales

Sounds like Nogales has changed quite a bit. Someone says Aduana is well before you get to KM21 and near "the first toll booth". Never was a toll booth that I remember.

KM21 is still there for Visa/FMM/Car Permit and the bank

bournemouth

Oct 15, 2014, 4:44 PM

Post #16 of 18 (6375 views)

Shortcut

Re: [sparks] Nationalized yesterday in Nogales

Sparks - there is a toll road, from the border almost to Kl.21. - it's been there for quite a few years now and is worth every centavo of the toll. The first customs station is almost at the toll both. The second one is at Kl.21. You have to run the gauntlet of red/green lights twice.

hunteradvisor

Oct 16, 2014, 7:21 AM

Post #17 of 18 (6312 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bournemouth] Nationalized yesterday in Nogales

KM21 check in is gone now.
Isabel
www.RanchoSolyMar.com

(This post was edited by hunteradvisor on Oct 16, 2014, 7:22 AM)

bournemouth

Oct 16, 2014, 7:25 AM

Post #18 of 18 (6307 views)

Shortcut

Re: [hunteradvisor] Nationalized yesterday in Nogales

Some things do get better with time!

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4