Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Mexico City & Surroundings

Silence820

Sep 27, 2014, 9:35 AM

Post #1 of 9 (9153 views)

Shortcut

~~~~> Cooking In Mexico

Can't Post | Private Reply
i am baking a Black Forest cake for a friend here in d.f. but I can not find canned cherries. does anyone know where I might find them? (not maraschino cherries)
~~The Right Path, Is Your Own Path~~

yucatandreamer

Sep 27, 2014, 11:24 AM

Post #2 of 9 (9135 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Silence820] ~~~~> Cooking In Mexico

Costco in Mérida generally carries a frozen black cherry. If no one gives you a better solution you might check with Costco.

Maesonna

Sep 28, 2014, 4:55 PM

Post #3 of 9 (9096 views)

Shortcut

I’ve gotten them in the past at a Comercial (a Mega Comercial) but I haven’t kept track whether they carry them all the time. They were in the section of specialty foods, not with the regular canned fruits.

Silence820

Sep 28, 2014, 5:01 PM

Post #4 of 9 (9093 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Maesonna] ~~~~> Cooking In Mexico

which mega? I searched to but could not find the specialty food section

esperanza

Sep 28, 2014, 8:47 PM

Post #5 of 9 (9080 views)

Shortcut

Try City Market, an upscale version of Comercial Mexicana. There's a location in Interlomas and another in Del Valle (at Av. Coyoacán and Calle Pilares).

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

(This post was edited by esperanza on Sep 28, 2014, 8:48 PM)

Maesonna

Sep 29, 2014, 11:12 AM

Post #6 of 9 (9049 views)

Shortcut

Re: which Mega – I shop at the one by the Tec – it’s about halfway between the Viaducto Tlalpan interchange and the Vaqueritos interchange on Périférico Sur – the store itself is at the corner of Puente and Prolongación Canal de Miramontes.

But I expect that any Mega Comercial next to a Costco – as this one is – would have the same selection of merchandise. However, like I mentioned, it’s been a few years since I last made a black forest cake, and I haven’t paid attention in the meantime whether they always have canned cherries.

The section I’m thinking of that I called ‘specialty foods’ is the one where they have some imported American foods, special Italian pastas, organic foods, fancy vinegars and oils, sushi rice and vinegar, gluten-free flours and pasta, and various other things. In the store I mentioned, it’s between the bakery and the cheese – I don’t know if it would be in a similar location in other stores.

(This post was edited by Maesonna on Sep 29, 2014, 11:18 AM)

Silence820

Oct 1, 2014, 6:37 PM

Post #7 of 9 (8987 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Maesonna] ~~~~> Cooking In Mexico

thanks for your help. they were right where you said they would be. today I bought 2 cans. again thanks so much

Silence820

Oct 1, 2014, 6:40 PM

Post #8 of 9 (8985 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] ~~~~> Cooking In Mexico

I went out today and city market is no long at the pilares location, however I did find them at the mega right down the street. thanks.

esperanza

Oct 1, 2014, 8:02 PM

Post #9 of 9 (8971 views)

Shortcut

I wonder if you missed the City Market on Pilares. The entrance is through the parking garage. The Mega is down the street. Glad you found what you were looking for.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4