Mexico Connect
Forums  > Specific Focus > Technical Mexico

Lilmsmaggie

Sep 29, 2014, 10:34 AM

Post #1 of 20 (18169 views)

Shortcut

Windows 9 a-coming

Can't Post | Private Reply
For all you computer geeks out there ... I know you're out there.

I know people that are perfectly happy with Windows XP. I prefer Windows 7 to 8. Heck I'm actually toying with moving to OS X

http://www.businessinsider.com/...-and-features-2014-9
Dwain (aka Lilmsmaggie)

johanson / Moderator

Sep 29, 2014, 8:23 PM

Post #2 of 20 (18146 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Lilmsmaggie] Windows 9 a-coming

Just got back from Seattle this evening. I was up North for 30 days. Yes I have a newer Acer laptop with Windows 8 on it. But what did I take with me? my older windows 7 laptop and an iPad. I just cant get used to liking Windows eight.

Why did I take the iPad with me? Because my laptops are 15 inchers and when I go out for coffee the older iPad 3 was much more practical. Now If I could only become an expert with windows 8 and my iPad.

Hey, I got to hold both iPhone 6s plus and the smaller one at an AT&T store and it would be fun to show off with either. But I'm happy with my 5.

The trouble it is, the older I get, the harder it is to try to keep up with new technology

Lilmsmaggie

Sep 30, 2014, 11:02 AM

Post #3 of 20 (18125 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Windows 9 a-coming

If I had an iPad and a Windows 8 anything, chances are, I'd be using the iPad. Last year while visiting Sotuta de Peon and Merida, there was a woman from Mexico City that had a 9" iPad. She was using it to take stills and video. I thought to myself while holding my DSLR: "I gotta get myself one of THOSE !"

Thinking about trading my iPhone 4S for a 5S. Not sure if I want the newer iPhone 6 just yet. Apple needs to fix a few things first. Maybe in a year or I'll just wait for the iPhone 7 and get the 6. No hurries here.

IMHO, I think that Apple would sell more product if they would modify their pricing model to be a bit more competitive. I've been on the fence for years considering an iMac for my photo editing and computing needs. Trouble is, I can build a PC that is just as good from a performance standpoint for less than what I'd pay for an iMac configured for my computing needs.

In fact, a year ago, I did just that. CPU, CPU cooler, motherboard, 16 GB RAM, 250GB SSD and two 1 TB HDD drives, case, power supply and video card came to less than a similarly configured iMac (or base model for that matter).

I may still get an iMac just for the simplicity of an all-in-one and to get rid of the cable-jungle under my desk. I've always liked Mac's and I'm comfortable with either platform (Windows/Mac). Its Apple pricing that keeps me away.

I work in IT and it gets a bit much trying to keep up with all of the technological changes but having a familiarity with that technology makes it a bit easier to separate the fluff and vaporware.

In Reply To
Just got back from Seattle this evening. I was up North for 30 days. Yes I have a newer Acer laptop with Windows 8 on it. But what did I take with me? my older windows 7 laptop and an iPad. I just cant get used to liking Windows eight.

Why did I take the iPad with me? Because my laptops are 15 inchers and when I go out for coffee the older iPad 3 was much more practical. Now If I could only become an expert with windows 8 and my iPad.

Hey, I got to hold both iPhone 6s plus and the smaller one at an AT&T store and it would be fun to show off with either. But I'm happy with my 5.

The trouble it is, the older I get, the harder it is to try to keep up with new technology

Dwain (aka Lilmsmaggie)

Lilmsmaggie

Sep 30, 2014, 11:40 AM

Post #4 of 20 (18122 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Lilmsmaggie] Windows 9 a-coming -- Uh not anymore

Gee - lets play change the name game ...

But Wait! there's more
http://www.sacbee.com/...-9-to-emphasize.html
Dwain (aka Lilmsmaggie)

Rolly

Sep 30, 2014, 11:46 AM

Post #5 of 20 (18121 views)

Shortcut

I'm married to XP -- 'till death do us part.

Rolly Pirate

arbon

Sep 30, 2014, 12:06 PM

Post #6 of 20 (18111 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Windows 9 a-coming -- Uh not anymore

Can't Post |
Windows 10 unveiled by MicrosoftSuccessor to Windows 8 will be released next year, skipping Windows 9...Eh
http://www.cbc.ca/...-microsoft-1.2782315
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lilmsmaggie

Sep 30, 2014, 12:42 PM

Post #7 of 20 (18104 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Windows 9 a-coming -- Uh not anymore

Just for you Rolly:

http://www.forbes.com/...ore-years-of-support

http://www.zdnet.com/...n-the-way-7000033030

Know of some astrophotographers that are running XP on their laptops that control the telescope, image acquisition and image processing.

I'm still running Vista on one of my home computers. Windows 7 on an ASUS laptop (purchased with the intent of using for astro work) and work PC.
Dwain (aka Lilmsmaggie)

chinagringo

Sep 30, 2014, 12:55 PM

Post #8 of 20 (18101 views)

Shortcut

Dwain: From your description, I would say that you would give the Japanese tourist we spotted in Guanajuato a run for his money. In his case, he was juggling an iPhone, an iPad and a large Nikon and his female companion was in charge of making sure he had the right one for each shot he wanted to make and also changing lenses from the camera kit she was toting.

A fascinating "ballet" to watch!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Lilmsmaggie

Sep 30, 2014, 1:54 PM

Post #9 of 20 (18090 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chinagringo] Windows 9 a-coming -- Uh not anymore

Greetings Neil,

I've never been much of a gadget geek. Cameras and lenses can be cumbersome when traveling, especially toting more than one camera body and several lenses. During my visits to Mexico, I rarely have a cell phone. Just me, a camera with a zoom attached generally. Juggling phones and tablets and cameras, I'll leave to the Japanese tourists. Now a female companion to accompany me. Well now that's a thought. No need for her to change lenses. That's why I carry a zoom.

In Reply To
Dwain: From your description, I would say that you would give the Japanese tourist we spotted in Guanajuato a run for his money. In his case, he was juggling an iPhone, an iPad and a large Nikon and his female companion was in charge of making sure he had the right one for each shot he wanted to make and also changing lenses from the camera kit she was toting.

A fascinating "ballet" to watch!

Dwain (aka Lilmsmaggie)

chinagringo

Sep 30, 2014, 2:28 PM

Post #10 of 20 (18086 views)

Shortcut

Similar sentiments as I carry one Nikon P100. While I dislike the idea of using a smartphone for travel photos, this last trip I played with using a time lapse app to film drive segments of our trip. Easy to use a windshield mount and allow the smartphone camera to do the work. Sample video:
Drive in/out of Tlalpujahua, Michoacan from the cuota:
http://youtu.be/...DpnZ20mAyDK3BH8bkkXw
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

chinagringo

Sep 30, 2014, 4:14 PM

Post #11 of 20 (18070 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Windows 9 a-coming

Pete:

If you don't start catching up on technology, you may find yourself on the banned list for deplaning at SeaTac? Keep in mind that they are really into their technology in Seattle!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

johanson / Moderator

Sep 30, 2014, 4:20 PM

Post #12 of 20 (18069 views)

Shortcut

thanks for sharing your video. Neil
Gosh it's good to be back in Mexico, where my ADSL internet speed is 5 times faster here in Ajijic than the fastest that darn Century Link ADSL can offer me in my Condo. What is so sick or funny is, that Century Link is sending out advertisements offering I Gig, yes one Gig service in Seattle, yet the best they could give me was 2 Megs. :) And my condo is in the center of town

Gosh when I think back and remember how things were 5 to 10 years ago it was no big deal. I guess I'm just spoiled

chinagringo

Sep 30, 2014, 4:26 PM

Post #13 of 20 (18065 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Windows 9 a-coming -- Uh not anymore

What happened to the deal where you were to get cable service at your condo? What a silly question - it got rained out?
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

johanson / Moderator

Sep 30, 2014, 6:11 PM

Post #14 of 20 (18047 views)

Shortcut

I have other internet options, yes, I could use Comcast Cable. or CondoInternet. So yes, I could get a faster other alternative. One problem is that I chose DirecTV rather than Comcast for TV and guess what. With a 2.4 meter sat Dish and three LNBs I can get most channels above channel 99 here in Mexico.
But by using the RG6 cable for DirecTV precludes it's use with Comcast, be it for TV or internet, I understand.

chinagringo

Sep 30, 2014, 6:20 PM

Post #15 of 20 (18045 views)

Shortcut

Re: [johanson] Windows 9 a-coming -- Uh not anymore

Pete:
You are so damned good when you "talk technical" and confuse the heck out of the rest of us!

All I know is that: I have a Ping of of 44ms, a download of 19.33 and an upload of 5.71.
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

RickS

Sep 30, 2014, 6:52 PM

Post #16 of 20 (18042 views)

Shortcut

Cable, right?

chinagringo

Sep 30, 2014, 7:00 PM

Post #17 of 20 (18041 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Windows 9 a-coming -- Uh not anymore

Comcast but up until that point I was dealing with the variable service from CenturyLink. Reality is that I don't really need those speeds but it does make streaming issue free!
Regards,
Neil
Albuquerque, NM

Lilmsmaggie

Oct 2, 2014, 5:38 AM

Post #18 of 20 (18013 views)

Shortcut

Thanks for sharing your videos. I'll have to watch them when I have more time.

In Reply To
Sample video:

Drive in/out of Tlalpujahua, Michoacan from the cuota:

http://youtu.be/...DpnZ20mAyDK3BH8bkkXw

Dwain (aka Lilmsmaggie)

laurasuarez

Mar 5, 2015, 2:17 AM

Post #19 of 20 (16428 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Lilmsmaggie] Windows 9 a-coming

I hope Windows 9 really improve user experience. From Windows XP, I dony like any version.

johanson / Moderator

Mar 5, 2015, 5:59 AM

Post #20 of 20 (16423 views)

Shortcut

Re: [laurasuarez] Windows 9 a-coming

Some folks are so fed up with Windows 8.1 that MSFT is going directly to Windows 10 there will be no Windows 9. I've seen the Beta version which at this stage seems to be a little of 7 mixed in and is easier to use for those of us who love Win 7.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4