Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

nicoli

Sep 26, 2014, 9:37 PM

Post #1 of 8 (5119 views)

Shortcut

Advice for traveling from Piedras Negras to Sayulita

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hello,
My family and I are excited to move to Sayulita for a year. I will be driving with a close friend who speaks fluent Spanish (my wife and son flying to Pueta Vallarta). I've traveled and driven in Mexico several times however this will be the first time crossing the US-Mexico border by car. I already already have my Residente Temporal stamp in passport (not the official card yet) and my TIP via online.

Based on very helpful research on Mexconnect (particularly some postings from RickS) and elsewhere, I have drafted the following route from Piedras Negras to Sayulita, using cuotas whenever possible. I would very much appreciate any additional thoughts or updated advice anyone has about this route, along with answers to a couple questions that follow.

Piedras Negras -- Monclova (via Blvd Pape) -- Saltillo -- Highway 54 to Zacatecas -- Aguascalientes -- Lagos -- Guadalajara -- Highway 15 towards Tepic -- Compostela -- South on Highway 200 to Sayulita

Beyond any general, updated advice here are a few specific questions:

- If we cross the border shortly after sunrise, does driving to Aguascalientes (in daylight) seem doable?

- Any reason why it would be more desirable to cross at Laredo instead and travel through Monterey (and on to Satillo)? I am coming from the west / Arizona so Piedras Negra is less distance and from what I've read sounds like an easier crossing.

- Any other general tips (or referrals to other postings) re: safety for someone crossing the US-Mexico border for the first time by car?

Thanks so much for anyone's support. This Forum has already been extremely appreciated!

AlanMexicali

Sep 27, 2014, 3:00 AM

Post #2 of 8 (5091 views)

Shortcut

Re: [nicoli] Advice for traveling from Piedras Negras to Sayulita

Is there any reason you decided to drive to Eagle Pass and cross there instead of Nogales Az.? It is 1591 klms from Nogales Mx. to PV and cuotas are $1,184 pesos and Piedras Negras to PV is 1550 klms and tolls are $903 pesos according to Ruta Punto a Punto. It is 787 miles more [from Tuscon Az.] on the US side to get to Eagle Pass to cross and a least a 12 hours drive to get there.

Donīt forget to get a FMM card and fill out the "canje" section and also get your passport stamped when crossing. . You will need these at your local INM office.

(This post was edited by AlanMexicali on Sep 27, 2014, 3:02 AM)

nicoli

Sep 27, 2014, 5:41 PM

Post #3 of 8 (5019 views)

Shortcut

Re: [AlanMexicali] Advice for traveling from Piedras Negras to Sayulita

We were going that route mostly because my wife assumed it would be a bit safer, and also because we had heard Piedras Negras was probably the easiest border crossing, especially for "first-time" travelers crossing the border by car. I would welcome any different thoughts however!

AlanMexicali

Sep 27, 2014, 6:08 PM

Post #4 of 8 (5015 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
We were going that route mostly because my wife assumed it would be a bit safer, and also because we had heard Piedras Negras was probably the easiest border crossing, especially for "first-time" travelers crossing the border by car. I would welcome any different thoughts however!

Nogales is an easy crossing as far as I know. Travelling through Sonora, Sinaloa and Nayarit seems about the same to me as far as safety is concerned unless something has changed lately.

A first time traveller can ask when in Nogales Az.or Nogales Sonora what is the best way to get to the INM office I would imagine where you get your passport stamped and a FMM.

There are people here who have done this that might chime in on the details as well.

I have read you should wait until crossing to put your TIP sticker on the front windshied in the middle above the mirror.

Altahabana

Sep 30, 2014, 7:27 AM

Post #5 of 8 (4928 views)

Shortcut

Piedras is an easy crossing for first time visitors, but it makes no sense to travel 100s of miles out of your way just to cross there.

RickS

Sep 30, 2014, 8:29 AM

Post #6 of 8 (4915 views)

Shortcut

Since you mentioned me in your Post, I'll chime in also....

I too know of no reason why one would travel from Arizona to southern Texas to cross when Nogales is a perfectly good crossing point. Use the Mariposa crossing at Exit 4. Pesos available in a shopping center there just to the east of that Exit if you wish. The
Sonoroan Free Zone is extended all the way down to the Empalme /Guaymas area but I don't know if you'll even have to stop anywhere (except for redlight/green light) since you have your Temporal stamp and a TIP permit already. (Does the Temporal stamp need some kind of verification from Aduana?)

From the border, just follow your nose down highway 15. Navojoa, south of Obregon, is a good 1st night stop for many.

Map courtesy of San Carlos Mexican Guide.com

AlanMexicali

Sep 30, 2014, 12:20 PM

Post #7 of 8 (4901 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Advice for traveling from Piedras Negras to Sayulita

In Reply To
Since you mentioned me in your Post, I'll chime in also....

I too know of no reason why one would travel from Arizona to southern Texas to cross when Nogales is a perfectly good crossing point. Use the Mariposa crossing at Exit 4. Pesos available in a shopping center there just to the east of that Exit if you wish. The
Sonoroan Free Zone is extended all the way down to the Empalme /Guaymas area but I don't know if you'll even have to stop anywhere (except for redlight/green light) since you have your Temporal stamp and a TIP permit already. (Does the Temporal stamp need some kind of verification from Aduana?)

From the border, just follow your nose down highway 15. Navojoa, south of Obregon, is a good 1st night stop for many.

Map courtesy of San Carlos Mexican Guide.com

Donīt forget to get a FMM card and fill out the "canje" section and also get your passport stamped when crossing. . You will need these at your local INM office.

nicoli

Oct 1, 2014, 12:01 AM

Post #8 of 8 (4847 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Advice for traveling from Piedras Negras to Sayulita

I really appreciate everyone's helpful responses. I believe you've talked me into crossing at Nogales and heading down 15 instead of wasting time, gas, etc. traveling all the way to Texas. My wife was concerned about safety in Sinaloa, however I know things are blown way out of proportion, and I trust folks here much more than US travel warnings, media hype, etc.

That said, I have not been able to find many recent postings specific to driving south on Hwy 15 from Nogales down towards Sayulita / Puerta Vallarta. Does anyone have any specific experience with this route, and any safety considerations specific to Hwy 15 in Sonora and Sinaloa? (I am well aware of basic safety considerations of driving in daylight, utilizing cuotas, having a good map, etc.) Specifically:

- Any specific things to keep in mind re: south on Mex 15? Do I need to veer off in order to stay on any cuotas or is it indeed Mex 15 the entire way to Tepic? Any spots to pay closer attention re: recent safety incidents?

- Any other recommendations on places to stay overnight? (RickS, your initial suggestion about staying in Navojoa the first night is very helpful.) I'm curious of any other suggestions going a bit further south for the first evening? Any thoughts on Los Mochis? We will most likely want to head straight down to Sayulita area, and if we made it to Los Mochis, we may be able to make it all the way the following day with approximately 9 hours additional driving.

- If we stayed a second night on the way down, any suggestions on places to stay between Mazatlan and Tepic for a second evening? (or Mazatlan or Tepic themselves?)

Thanks again for everyone's thoughts and support!

Nick

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4