Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Mexico City & Surroundings

calitim

Sep 25, 2014, 7:52 AM

Post #1 of 16 (12904 views)

Shortcut

Suggested Surrounding DF area

Can't Post | Private Reply
Hello, I'm looking to relocate my family (three boys, 14, 12, and 4 and newborn) to DF for work. Lots of questions but my first piece of research is housing. I speak read/write spanish but my family does not (both older kids will be taking spanish next semester).

Anyone have any suggestions on which particular areas to stay away from and what areas are more conducive to my situation? My family will not follow me until next summer so I have time. I'm looking to relocate at the beginning of the new year. We currently live in the hilly country area of central Cal (near Yosemite) and would like to find a home with a little space. Would love to stay away from an city/urban environment but understand that this may not be possible due to work and lack of deep knowledge of the area.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

geoffbob

Sep 25, 2014, 8:33 AM

Post #2 of 16 (12896 views)

Shortcut

Re: [calitim] Suggested Surrounding DF area

Calitim,
Many of the experts about D.F. would inquire as to where your job is physically located; the part of town. Bear in mind that D.F. is a gigantic city and commuting in traffic can humble the most grizzled urbanite. I have spoken to taxi drivers with more than 20 years experience there who told me that there are places they are unfamiliar with. If I were in your shoes I'd want to live close to my place of work.

Maesonna

Sep 25, 2014, 8:55 AM

Post #3 of 16 (12886 views)

Shortcut

Seconding Geoffbob’s suggestion that the most important thing is to choose where to live according to the commute to work. Neglect to take this into account, and you could be facing up to 5 hours on the road every day, inching through bumper-to-bumper traffic a large part of the time.

In general, the nicer parts of the city are in the west, south, and centre-south-west. The grittier parts are in the north and east.

There are some nice, less-urban environments in parts of Xochimilco, Tlalpan, and Cuajimalpa, among others. Milpa Alta is almost completely rural, but it is a long way from the rest of the city.

We live in a village in Xochimilco just at the edge of the urban area. We have trees and forest, some neighbours with horses and chickens, and the mountains at the edge of the Valley of Mexico are just up the street a 3-minute walk away. My husband works at the UNAM (University of Mexico) main campus, and the commute is usually 25 to 40 minutes but may take up to an hour if the traffic is bad.

Edited to add: It’s 17 km, or 10.5 miles. He has a flexible schedule, so he can usually avoid the peak times.

(This post was edited by Maesonna on Sep 25, 2014, 9:08 AM)

calitim

Sep 25, 2014, 8:55 AM

Post #4 of 16 (12886 views)

Shortcut

Re: [geoffbob] Suggested Surrounding DF area

In Reply To
Calitim,
Many of the experts about D.F. would inquire as to where your job is physically located; the part of town. Bear in mind that D.F. is a gigantic city and commuting in traffic can humble the most grizzled urbanite. I have spoken to taxi drivers with more than 20 years experience there who told me that there are places they are unfamiliar with. If I were in your shoes I'd want to live close to my place of work.

My job requires that I do not sit in one particular location. There are currently 5 locations slated to open in DF. I'm not new to commuting so I'm flexible there. I'm looking at a 40-50 mile radius of DF.

Maesonna

Sep 25, 2014, 8:59 AM

Post #5 of 16 (12879 views)

Shortcut

Can you clarify where you would be working? Traveling between the different 5 locations? Or you could choose any one of the 5? Or something else?

calitim

Sep 25, 2014, 9:14 AM

Post #6 of 16 (12872 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Maesonna] Suggested Surrounding DF area

In Reply To
Can you clarify where you would be working? Traveling between the different 5 locations? Or you could choose any one of the 5? Or something else?

My position will require that I oversee multiple locations (4-5 in the first half of the year with possibly up to a dozen by end of 2015 and double that the following year). I will be spending my time between all the locations, everyday somewhere different. The great part is that my family will not come out until the summer so I have some time to get to know the different areas and understand the logistics of commuting between a dozen locations and possibly land a place that is most convenient later.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. One of the major concerns is schooling for my children. Once they make the move this will probably be the biggest motivator of location to live. Maybe I just need to understand where to NOT look?

esperanza

Sep 25, 2014, 10:35 AM

Post #7 of 16 (12854 views)

Shortcut

I live in the DF, in La Condesa. It's lovely, green, more or less bohemian, and still in the city--no large open spaces, but we really like it.

There are some really nice areas in Mixcoac, too, just south of DF's Centro Histórico--houses with big yards, etc.

Farther out, I'd say San Jerónimo, Tlalpan, parts of San Ángel, and (way out) Valle del Bravo. Here's a real estate company with listings for Valle del Bravo: http://www.century21global.com/...9xico/Valle-de-Bravo.

Take a look at http://www.vivanuncios.com.mx, too. Using the parameters that the site offers, put in the locations I suggest (and any others that others suggest) and see what you find.

Best of luck in your search--you're going to love it here.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

(This post was edited by esperanza on Sep 25, 2014, 10:37 AM)

calitim

Sep 25, 2014, 11:15 AM

Post #8 of 16 (12844 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Suggested Surrounding DF area

In Reply To
I live in the DF, in La Condesa. It's lovely, green, more or less bohemian, and still in the city--no large open spaces, but we really like it.

There are some really nice areas in Mixcoac, too, just south of DF's Centro Histórico--houses with big yards, etc.

Farther out, I'd say San Jerónimo, Tlalpan, parts of San Ángel, and (way out) Valle del Bravo. Here's a real estate company with listings for Valle del Bravo: http://www.century21global.com/...9xico/Valle-de-Bravo.

Take a look at http://www.vivanuncios.com.mx, too. Using the parameters that the site offers, put in the locations I suggest (and any others that others suggest) and see what you find.

Best of luck in your search--you're going to love it here.

Thank you so much for the information. I truly appreciate it! I found Vivian Uncios and have been perusing different areas but your assistance will definitely help!

I'm sure I will love it, I actually lived in Mexico City as a young child. But lots has changed and I'm hoping I can create a good foundation for when my family eventually moves out to be with me.

La Isla

Sep 25, 2014, 11:30 AM

Post #9 of 16 (12837 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To

I wasn't aware that Valle de Bravo was in commuting distance of the DF :-) !

Maesonna

Sep 25, 2014, 11:40 AM

Post #10 of 16 (12836 views)

Shortcut

I’d disagree that Valle del Bravo would be viable for someone working in DF. It‘s over 80 miles outside the city – without traffic it could be 1.5 hour drive, but there would be no such thing as ‘without traffic’. It would mean struggling through the awful traffic of Santa Fe – I’d guess about 3 hours one way on the good days.

If Calitim wants to live right outside Mexico City (which I wouldn’t recommend anyway), the only viable alternatives I’d recommend considering would be to the south-south-west – Cuernavaca, Tepotzlan, Oaxtepec – around there. Also, there are parts of Xochimilco and Tlahuac, and most of Milpa Alta – all parts of the Federal District – that are rural (although not charmingly so).

Calitim, you mentioned ‘Maybe I just need to understand where to NOT look?’
In my first post I outlined a general guide – south, west, and the south-west side of the city centre. Also, within each region of the city, there are better and worse neighbourhoods, too many to list. It comes down to checking each one.

(This post was edited by Maesonna on Sep 25, 2014, 11:42 AM)

esperanza

Sep 25, 2014, 12:06 PM

Post #11 of 16 (12830 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To
Take a look at http://www.vivanuncios.com.mx, too. U

Thank you so much for the information. I truly appreciate it! I found Vivian Uncios and have been perusing different areas but your assistance will definitely help!

I'm sure I will love it, I actually lived in Mexico City as a young child. But lots has changed and I'm hoping I can create a good foundation for when my family eventually moves out to be with me.

The name of the website is Viva Anuncios--because it is all advertising. They use only one 'a' in the URL.

To other posters: Valle de Bravo and Cuernavaca are each about an hour and a half to two hours outside the DF, just in very different directions. I wouldn't want to commute that distance, but the OP said she is used to commuting.

Maesonna

Sep 25, 2014, 12:14 PM

Post #12 of 16 (12828 views)

Shortcut

Sorry, not trying to be argumentative, but Cuernavaca is much closer. Taking a reference point near the centre of Mexico City, I calculate 80 km (50 miles) to Cuernavaca. I know of people who live in Cuernavaca and commute to Mexico City, but not anyone in Valle de Bravo (at least not anyone who commutes daily).

esperanza

Sep 25, 2014, 2:34 PM

Post #13 of 16 (12811 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Maesonna] Suggested Surrounding DF area

Maybe the drive time depends on when you go. I have driven to Tepoztlán on Sundays only; the drive takes about an hour and a half. Cuernavaca is about half an hour further--at least for me.

The distance to Valle de Bravo is farther, but the drive time is about an hour and 45 minutes.

I'm calculating from where I live, in La Condesa.

Maesonna

Sep 25, 2014, 5:08 PM

Post #14 of 16 (12799 views)

Shortcut

OK, I see what you mean now. However if you were going straight to Cuernavaca, you wouldn’t pass through Tepotztlan, it would be out of your way. You’d just stay on the highway and go straight to Cuernavaca. Google maps tells me that it’s farther to Tepotztlan than to Cuernavaca.

Gri-lango

Oct 1, 2014, 11:15 AM

Post #15 of 16 (12693 views)

Shortcut

Traffic is a huge consideration. I live 7 km from my office and it can take 10 mins, or 1 hr each way.
I think budget will be another major consideration. And...eventually...where will the kids go to school?
Mis dos centavos: Unless you are willing to spend 5-6 hours a day in your car, living on the "edge of the Metro area" is just not practical (unless you can afford to rent a Helicopter).
e.g. The caseta (toll booth) entering DF from Cuernavaca can make the relatively short trip take up to 3 hours...5 hrs is not unheard of on Holiday weekends.
InterLomas, Bosques de las Lomas, Lomas de Chapultepec, Tecamachalco, La Herraduara are more suburban and upscale. Polanco, Condessa, La Roma, La Florida are nice urban areas (there are many more).
Avoid Neza, Ixtapaluca, Ecatepec. Tlanepantla has bit of everything, so does Cuatitlan Izcali, but they are more industrial than green and a bit further down the socio-economic ladder.

calitim

Oct 1, 2014, 1:25 PM

Post #16 of 16 (12676 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Gri-lango] Suggested Surrounding DF area

In Reply To
Traffic is a huge consideration. I live 7 km from my office and it can take 10 mins, or 1 hr each way...

InterLomas, Bosques de las Lomas, Lomas de Chapultepec, Tecamachalco, La Herraduara are more suburban and upscale. Polanco, Condessa, La Roma, La Florida are nice urban areas (there are many more)...

Great info (all not just the quoted)! I really appreciate the insight. Getting more info and different perspectives is giving me several avenues of where and what to research. Having some direction definitely is helping the process!!

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4