Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Southern Mexico

MayaDoc

Sep 14, 2014, 11:50 AM

Post #1 of 3 (6947 views)

Shortcut

Where do nature lovers go near Puerto Escondido, Oaxaca?

Can't Post | Private Reply
I love Pto. Escondido and the surrounding area. I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who knows anything about Mazunte and Pinotepa and any areas that are worth visiting within a few hours of Puerto Escondido. We love nature and culture and Mexico in general. We'll be in Oaxaca in Dec. and January and would love to hear your comments about this area of Oaxaca. We'll also be in Oaxaca City for the Christmas and New Year holidays. If you have suggestions as to day trips from there, I'd love to hear from you.

Thank you for your generosity.

Hasta pronto,
MayaDoc

citlali

Sep 14, 2014, 1:20 PM

Post #2 of 3 (6942 views)

Shortcut

Re: [MayaDoc] Where do nature lovers go near Puerto Escondido, Oaxaca?

Mazunt is wonderful but I like the costa chica from PE to Acapulco a whole lot better. There are very few tourists, lots of swamps, lakes & estuaries that are just wonderful. Close to Ometepec you can find villages with Amusgo women weaving beautiful huipils; around Pinotepa you also have women weavers, skirts this time, the descendant of black slaves escaped from Vera Cruz who live on the coast and have great musicians, so on. IMO the Guerrero coast is more interesting that the towns south of PE but they all have their charms.

(This post was edited by RickS on Oct 18, 2014, 7:17 PM)

JuanCha

Oct 18, 2014, 3:54 PM

Post #3 of 3 (6803 views)

Shortcut

Re: [MayaDoc] Where do nature lovers go near Puerto Escondido, Oaxaca?

If you are focused on beaches of Oaxaca and nature, then I'd vote for Mazunte: turtle preserve & museum, nature preserve (crocodiles etc), fishing, whale watching (in season), boat tours, a variety of hostels and lodging (many in a natural tropical setting), sandy cove, warm Pacific waters (not much surf due to barrier reef). Nearby (walking distance) San Agustinillo is smaller and has decent small surf. Zipolite is somewhat "seedy" and "scroungey" by comparison - known for nude beach (that is not the seedy part). Huatulco is more upscale, but has a variety of lodging (mostly expensive) and interesting coves and beaches accessible by small boat.

I go to Mazunte (from my home in San Cristobal, Chiapas) a few times per year. You can PM me for more info.
JuanCha de: Santa Fe NM, San Cristobal de Las Casas Chiapas, San Diego CA

(This post was edited by JuanCha on Oct 18, 2014, 4:04 PM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4