Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > General Forum

tonyburton

Sep 2, 2014, 4:44 PM

Post #1 of 4 (2437 views)

Shortcut

Education money goes walkabout...

Can't Post | Private Reply
Interesting piece in the New York Times about how money earmarked for education in Mexico goes walkabout, and one of the forms of expression that shows "Mexican civil society is getting more sophisticated"
http://www.nytimes.com/...l?ref=world&_r=1

esperanza

Sep 2, 2014, 9:39 PM

Post #2 of 4 (2394 views)

Shortcut

Re: [tonyburton] Education money goes walkabout...

Tony, I've never heard that term 'go walkabout' before. Is it a Canadianism for...well, help me out here, please.

The article is very interesting, as are most US-based articles about how things are in Mexico. Thanks for posting.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

joaquinx

Sep 3, 2014, 6:44 AM

Post #3 of 4 (2364 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Education money goes walkabout...

In Reply To
Tony, I've never heard that term 'go walkabout' before. Is it a Canadianism for...well, help me out here, please.

The article is very interesting, as are most US-based articles about how things are in Mexico. Thanks for posting.

I believe that "walkabout" is a British term meaning something was there a minute ago and now it's gone or it lost itself.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

tonyburton

Sep 3, 2014, 7:23 AM

Post #4 of 4 (2348 views)

Shortcut

Re: [esperanza] Education money goes walkabout...

Hadn't intended to cause confusion. It's an Australianism. Merriam-Webster says it is a word dating from around 1908 referring to "a short period of wandering bush life engaged in by an Australian Aborigine as an occasional interruption of regular work". It has since acquired the meaning (Chambers 21st Century dictionary) of "becoming lost or mislaid".

(This post was edited by tonyburton on Sep 3, 2014, 7:24 AM)

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4