solarhaven

Aug 31, 2014, 2:36 PM

Post #1 of 12 (4262 views)

Shortcut

URGENT HELP AND SUGGESTIONS NEEDED

| Private Reply
Hello from Jim and Mindy,

We are trying to find the address in Coatzalcoalcos
, Veracruz, Mexico associated with the following cell-phone number: 921 113 7881. Apparently there is no reverse phone look-up in Mexico for cell-phones. All searchs have come up "no results". Stick with us to understand the long heart-breaking story behind why it is critical we get this information.

Our need for this is based on the fact that a man named Ignacio living next door in our neighborhood for five months in Amelco, Veracruz is now charged with child neglect, physical abuse, and pedophilia. An "aviso" for all of Veracruz has been issued to take his four children immediately into protective custody when they can be located.

We became very fond of these children during the five months this year they lived in a falling-down abandoned shack next door to us, particularly 6 year-old Merari. We began home-schooling her early on. She had never been allowed to go to school. The following Photo Album shows a very happy and content little girl who clearly felt like she had found her "forever home", and quite unexpectedly, miraculously, and joyously, we came to feel we had found our "forever grand-daughter" too! We have now expressed our wish in writing to DIF to adopt Merari and to be granted temporary custody once she is located until the courts can rule on our request.

We began to give a few lessons to the two older boys, Alan and Manuel, who were also not allowed to attend school and were far behind grade level. However, after they stole money from us, they started working for us every morning to do restitution. They were a "hand-full" to supervise and keep motivated
but the thought of missing out on the afternoon tortas we always made the kids was a good "carrot". Gone, however, was the time and energy to teach them too. They had stolen at other places in town as well and found themselves not welcome anywhere in Amelco. They did not make friends as Merari did.

It has been over seven weeks, however, since the kids were taken out of Amelco. With no results from the aviso, we need to go searching too, and then contact the authorities if we find out where Ignacio is hiding. We feel DIF needs all the help they can get -- it is just too big a job for any welfare agency. Often kids like this are never found or helped. As a Ph.D child psychologist, I saw all too many absolutely heart-breaking examples of this in my work which often involved child welfare agencies and the police.

Ignacio left because three of our neighbors were becoming suspicious that Merari was being sexually abused. We became virtually certain of it as my wife observed that she was not a virgin when she and Merari took baths together at the creek. However, It was only after Ignacio secretly took the children out of Amelco on the night of July 9th that we realized the extent of his neglect and abuse of the kids. Only then did we learn that just the youngest boy, Nesari, was his. The other three are step-children. We had been giving Ignacio the "benefit of the doubt" that as their real father he could not be guilty of the kinds of things we now strongly suspected him of. Step-fathers on the other hand are notorious abusers as I saw over and over in my work in psychology.

We learned later that Merari had been telling her girl friends since the family moved here that she was afraid to go home at night and begged to sleep over with them. When their mothers asked her why, however, she just got very solemn and quiet and would not say anything. Merari always came to our door first thing in the morning when she woke up. She spent more and more of her time with us until she was living with us full time including sleeping over night. She had established a life style that involved having no contact with Ignacio or having to even go inside the cabin. She kept many of her clothes at our house. We discovered the rest of her clothes hidden in the weeds outside the back of the cabin after the family was gone.

Ignacio showed no inclination to find a job or to feed the kids. He rarely came out of the cabin. The kids only ate what they could beg from neighbors. The boys stole food when they could. The kids were in rags until the community starting donating clothes. The kids came to my wife who is a nurse with some serious injuries that could not have been caused by a fall as claimed but by being stuck by a heavy object. Ignacio refused to allow his step-son to be examined for possible broken bones in his hand even though a neighbor offered to pay for the doctors visit and the x-rays.

We DO have a good idea where the kids might have been taken. Ignacio's niece from Coatzalcoalcos came for a visit the same day the kids disappeared. Ignacio lied to the kids that they were all going shopping in a nearby town in the afternoon but then put the kids on a bus out of the region that night. Ignacio came back secretly in the afternoon to Amelco to pack up, but he took mainly his own things and left almost all the kids clothes here. Clearly the niece had paid for the bus tickets. We know from a neighbor whose phone Ignacio used to call the niece several times what her cell-phone number is. Her first name is Marie Esther. We do not know her last names. The full name of the kids step-father, is Ignacio Manzilla Obregon.

We have tried all week to get in touch with DIF to see if they would be willing to give us the the niece's address, but they have not been available either by calling them or going to Apazapan to find them in the office. They have not answered our emails which has been true, however, since first contacting them. We are worried that they will deny this request and advise us to stay out it.

NO, just isn't an option, however. Someway we must find the address and go searching ourselves. It is a difficult job to locate someone like Ignacio who is clearly running and knows full well he could spend most of the rest of his life in prison if found. He will be very clever amd devious not to be detected. From what we now know, he has been running for a long time, sponging off a new community till they get onto him, then suddenly disappearing without a trace to find another one. He found ours and the abandoned shack only after contacting an old childhood friend he hadn't seen for 30 years. It appears he was running out of relatives and friends to shelter him.

We have hired a neighbor to go to Coatzalcoalcos for four days next week with instructions to go immediately to DIF and the police if they discover where the family is and give them the information.

DIF in Apazapan and Jalapa and the
Ministerio Publico in Coatapec have all known of the complete details of this case from early on. They had heard numerous complains made in person by the townspeople before we submitted a lengthy, detailed document and photographs soon after Ignacio fled. It has been over seven weeks, however, with no word from authorities as to whereabouts of the family. Continued neglect and abuse by Ignacio during this period is certain, however, and we just can't sit back and wait for a phone that never rings and an empty email box any longer.

We would be grateful from the bottom of our hearts, if you could help us find the niece's address or give us clues what some of the alternatives might be for doing this. The lives of four precious children are at stake even though we are frankly terrified now that the authorities directly involved in this case may not/can not take it that seriously or are just be too busy to act in a timely matter or at all. These kids just can't be let down. Oh, how they deserve better!

Sincerely,

Jaime and Mindy Phypers

Aaron+

Sep 5, 2014, 4:06 PM

Post #2 of 12 (4002 views)

Shortcut

Re: [solarhaven] URGENT HELP AND SUGGESTIONS NEEDED

| Private Reply
Whew... what can one say!
You seem to be pursuing the right channels, with the local DIF etc. I think one should go directly to head of DIF Estatal in Xalapa, Karime Macías Tubilla, and to the Procurador General de Justicia, Luis Ángel Bravo Contreras, citing their supposed positions on child abuse. http://www.veracruz.gob.mx/...l-maltrato-infantil/

Better if you can get a Mexican citizen to make the denuncia. Also the citizen could contact the local newspapers. The authorities could issue an Amber Alert if they so choose. If an influential local attorney would represent the children at your expense, perhaps that would get the wheels going, or else you could just be out of a lot of change without any results.

If this Ignacio is a member of a criminal gang, I would not expect much action against him by the authorities.

I would not travel to Veracruz, it being one of the most dangerous states in Mexico currently. I do not know what you expect to be able to do even if you had the cell phone number in question, even if the phone is still in use. One can get a cell phone without providing an address, or the address provided could be false, etc.

Sorry, the little above is all I can come up with.

(This post was edited by Aaron+ on Sep 5, 2014, 4:12 PM)

cbviajero

Sep 5, 2014, 4:40 PM

Post #3 of 12 (3990 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Aaron+] URGENT HELP AND SUGGESTIONS NEEDED

| Private Reply

In Reply To

If this Ignacio is a member of a criminal gang, I would not expect much action against him by the authorities.

Why not?
Mexican authorities arrest criminal gang members everyday.

joaquinx

Sep 5, 2014, 4:51 PM

Post #4 of 12 (3978 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To

I would not travel to Veracruz, it being one of the most dangerous states in Mexico currently.

What! Someone is reading old Internet articles and not keeping up with news. Best to verify information like this before putting it to print.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

cbviajero

Sep 5, 2014, 5:06 PM

Post #5 of 12 (3972 views)

Shortcut

Re: [joaquinx] URGENT HELP AND SUGGESTIONS NEEDED

| Private Reply
I read in the news today that 25 bandas de sequestradores,kidnappers, were taken down in Vera Cruz recently,a total of 148 people were arrested.

YucaLandia

Sep 6, 2014, 10:36 AM

Post #6 of 12 (3859 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply

In Reply To

In Reply To

I would not travel to Veracruz, it being one of the most dangerous states in Mexico currently.

What! Someone is reading old Internet articles and not keeping up with news. Best to verify information like this before putting it to print.

Really? What news/changes are there to keep up with on Vera Cruz?

We have tenants, just moved in June, who are from Vera Cruz, and they say they left because of the daily risks of violence.

These people tell me that the current common wisdom is to not go out after 7:00 or 8:00 in Vera Cruz, because of the dangers. They are Middle Class and upper Middle Class folk, who packed-up and left - including bringing mamá - to come to the clearly safer environs of Merida.

We hear similar stories from another young tenant, whose mom & dad just now sent her here to Merida to go to University, due to the dangers in Vera Cruz. We try to screen our tenants, to get to know them before renting, but maybe they fooled us?
or
Are both of these families from Vera Cruz, out-of-touch?

I'd love to hear some good citations of news on why Vera Cruz may now be safe.

That would be very good news,
steve

=============================
Jim & Mandy,
Best of luck finding and helping those 4 beautiful kids,
steve
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Sep 6, 2014, 10:48 AM)

panama john

Sep 6, 2014, 11:44 AM

Post #7 of 12 (3827 views)

Shortcut

Re: [solarhaven] URGENT HELP AND SUGGESTIONS NEEDED

| Private Reply
Most of Veracruz is dangerous. I have lived in Cordoba for almost 5 years, during that period the crime rate has been rising at an alarming rate. Murder, kidnapping, extorsion, you name it is prevalent here in Cordoba and the neighboring towns. The people are at wits-end. The government sends army, marines, state pólice, federal pólice, by the dozens. All they seem to do is ride around in their trucks while the criminals ply their trade. In my 5 years here I have known,personally, 2 people who have been murdered and 3 kidnapped. It's not easy to make a move when there is a family involved, school, friends, etc., but as soon as posible we are moving to a safer place in another state.

joaquinx

Sep 6, 2014, 1:10 PM

Post #8 of 12 (3809 views)

Shortcut

URGENT HELP AND SUGGESTIONS NEEDED

| Private Reply
I have lived in Veracruz for over 15 years and traveled to most of its cities. Yes, there have been some problems that most cities have, but it's still safer than Acapulco, Morelia, Monterrey, etc.

I suggest that you clean up your own backyard before condemning mine.
_______
My desire to be well-informed is currently at odds with my desire to remain sane.

panama john

Sep 6, 2014, 1:35 PM

Post #9 of 12 (3798 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
Who's condeming your backyard. I'm just telling it like it is. And what can I do to change anything here or anywhere in Mexico for that matter. Take your head out of the sand and pay attention to what's going on.

RickS

Sep 6, 2014, 2:22 PM

Post #10 of 12 (3773 views)

Shortcut

Re: [panama john] URGENT HELP AND SUGGESTIONS NEEDED

| Private Reply
Both of you.... back to the subject of the Post and cut out the personal attacks!

Aaron+

Sep 7, 2014, 7:12 AM

Post #11 of 12 (3693 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] URGENT HELP AND SUGGESTIONS NEEDED

| Private Reply
Fortunately, Mexconnect members have access to the superior knowledge of those who, such as Joaquinx (J), rush forward to disparage any cautionary note I include in postings. J has no helpful advice to offer Solarhaven. No doubt Solarhaven would still appreciate helpful suggestions.
Those with rosy colored glasses, as with respect to Veracruz, know better than the U.S. Government, which notes
Veracruz: Exercise caution when traveling in the state of Veracruz. The state of Veracruz continues to experience violence among rival criminal organizations. Mexican federal security forces continue to assist state and local security forces in providing security and combating organized crime. “ -- from the Aug. 14, 2014

Ok, ok, I confess to not having complete confidence in the Travel Advisories, but more for what they do not include rather than for what is included. For example, neither Tabasco nor coastal Quintana Roo have any associated warnings, which does not jive with what we hear from folks who have family or jobs there. I do consider the Veracruz warning to be valid. However, if you are planning to travel to Veracruz, you are of course free to discount the Travel Advisory and take J as your expert.

Let's sample some recent news from Veracruz.
--The Sept. 1 Proceso report, “Desmantelan narco rancho zeta en Veracruz; abaten a 3 sicarios {assasins} y detienen a 33,” reports the army and SSP taking down 3 Zetas and detaining 33 others at a Zeta narco ranch in Acultzingo, Veracruz. The article also contains several reports of victims' bodies found buried in various parts of the state. Gov. Duarte's office issues a statement noting that the municipal police of Acultzingo did not participate in the action out of fear of the criminals. (cbviajero, please take note of that statement.)
--An amber alert was canceled for the minor menor Karime Cruz Reyes given that the minor and her aunt, Mónica Reyes Baruch, were found dead in a colonia of Coatzacoalcos. There had been a ransomed demand of $1 million pesos for the child. Story “La niña Karime llevaba dos meses desaparecida; hoy encontraron su cadáver” dated Sept 6 in Proceso. Sept. 7 Por Esto notes the end of the amber alert.
--Notinformex reported the July 29 murder of a sicario in apparent retribution for the murder of the municipal president of Pánuco, Verarcruz two days earlier.
--”Veracruz: Sicarios matan a tres en fiesta infantil” reported SIPSE Aug. 10, 2014 (based in part on an Excelsior report), in Hueyapan de Ocampo, in the southern part of the state.
Not usually reported are cases of kidnappings and extortion. Uncommonly reported, unless bodies are found, owing to criminal gangs murdering reporters and threatening newspapers. Veracruz stands out as a state particularly subject to press intimidation.
Panama John and Yucalandia are right on in their reports! Thanks. And RickS, I do not consider Panama John to have made a "personal attack" on J, whereas J's snide remarks are all over Mexconnect, though at times his postings can be worth reading.

As for J's suggestion that I base my reports on websites (what, expats')?, the only expat website in Mexico I read with some regularity is Mexconnect. Sniping from J (and at times others) at times makes contributing to Mexconnect less than agreeable. I do read a local paper daily -- Por Esto, Excelsior when I can get ahold of it, and watch the Mexican news on TV.
From personal sources (mostly my Mexican wife's) I have learned that the average Mexican in most if not all of the states of Veracruz and Tabasco live in fear on criminal gangs, that have often penetrated local government. People go from home to job or the market as directly and as fast as they can. and all but the foolhardy shun night time activities away from home.

NOW, please folks, add to or revise suggestions I made to Solarhaven. I really do not know what else can be done from afar.

(This post was edited by Aaron+ on Sep 7, 2014, 7:17 AM)

Rolly

Sep 7, 2014, 7:50 AM

Post #12 of 12 (3680 views)

Shortcut

| Private Reply
The personal sniping has gone far enought. I locking this thread. If you have something useful to add to the OP's question, feel free to start another thread..

Rolly Pirate

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4