Mexico Connect
Forums  > Areas > Southern Mexico

bethanyjak

Aug 25, 2014, 5:29 PM

Post #1 of 9 (9743 views)

Shortcut

selling US plated car in free zone?

Can't Post | Private Reply
We would like to sell our US plated truck to a non-Mexican. The TIP is expired. Do we have to actually enter Belize to sign over the title, or can this be done in the free zone and then have the new owner go to Aduana and get the truck in their name? Can we get the truck out of the computer in Mexico even though the TIP expired so that we can import another vehicle in my
name?
Thanks for any info!

playaboy

Aug 26, 2014, 6:05 AM

Post #2 of 9 (9715 views)

Shortcut

Re: [bethanyjak] selling US plated car in free zone?

Quick answer, yes. You don't even need to leave MX. You are at the border. I have done this a couple of times. It is an easy procedure.

First cancel the TIP at Banjercito, then while you and the buyer are still at the service window apply for a new TIP permit in the buyers name. Does the buyer wants a new TIP or is just driving in QROO?

Don't forget to notify your home State of the sale and get a release of liability filed.

Jordao

Jun 4, 2015, 3:18 PM

Post #3 of 9 (9048 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] selling US plated car in free zone?

I am in Puerto Morelos, Quintana Roo.
two different Mexicans offered to buy my Indiana plated 89 VW Cabriolet, while I had it TIP'd. I turned them down, saying I was not allowed to even let them drive it.
Today I went to Chetumal and had my sticker removed and decided not to renew it, and just drive in Quintana Roo with it.
Am I allowed to sell it? They offered decent money for it...

Jordao

Jun 5, 2015, 4:52 PM

Post #4 of 9 (9014 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Jordao] selling US plated car in free zone?

I also would like to say that the border crossing down at Belize from Cancun 307 has two, and the older one does not do the TIP stuff. you need to go to the new one, and go to Banjercito (I had to ask a military guy where it was, and he didn't know, but finally found it). You need to take the 'Libramento' direction, rather than 'Belize' direction to get to it. but, if you go to the other one they will simply charge you 2300 pesos to renew your tourist visa, like I have, (and I was not able to obtain a receipt, so I am wary), then they sent me to the new one at the Libramento option.

playaboy

Jun 6, 2015, 8:35 AM

Post #5 of 9 (8995 views)

Shortcut

Sounds like business as usual at the INM office on that border. When living here on a tourist permit you have to play their game. That INM official can give you 10 days on a FMM, or he/she could give you 23 days. They can refuse to issue a new card too. It is up to them, they have the authority. That officer also has access to that computer they scanned your passport with. You could have negotiated the 2300 down some.

Now that you have gotten your car out of the Aduana/Banjercito system, Mexico does not have any record of your car being in the country. Don't drive the car to the Cancun Airport. Federales have taken vehicles for lack of a TIP.

You are not allowed to sell the car, but if you do keep the plates and anything with your ID on it. I know of Mexicans buying US titled vehicles in QROO. Some manage to get license plates without problems. Others have gotten caught and have lost the vehicles. They should know the risks, it is their choice.

(This post was edited by playaboy on Jun 6, 2015, 8:52 AM)

Jordao

Jun 6, 2015, 9:52 AM

Post #6 of 9 (8986 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] selling US plated car in free zone?

Why can i not drive to the airport? it is in the Quintana Roo frontier zone, is it not?

playaboy

Jun 6, 2015, 10:00 AM

Post #7 of 9 (8984 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
Why can i not drive to the airport? it is in the Quintana Roo frontier zone, is it not?

Yes and No. It depend on who you talk to. You can read up on peoples experiences on the playa.info forum. Search there and you will find years of stories.

I would stay away from the airport..

YucaLandia

Jun 6, 2015, 5:26 PM

Post #8 of 9 (8960 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To

You are physically allowed to drive an American-plated vehicle into the Cancun aeropuerto, but, driving in there has risks.

Even though there's an Aduana decision issued out of the Aduana DF office, sometimes the Federal Police at the Cancun airport do not agree with that interpretation of the Aduana law.

If the Federales (at the Cancun airport) confiscate your vehicle and tow it to a govt. impound yard - which they have done to others - Does anyone really want the (months of?) hassles of trying to force the Federal Police to release your vehicle from their impound yard?

Even if the Federales do not confiscate your vehicle while driving around the airport grounds: Does anyone really want to be seriously hassled by the Federal Police there?

It can be better to just avoid some police officers,
steve
**Even with the Aduana law supporting you, do any of us want to prove to a grumpy Federale that your US registration is still current, and then prove that your US license plates are still valid - as he makes you sit in the hot sun while he checks VINs, check paperwork, checks, checks, checks ... We have seen them go so far as to check motor ID #'s ...
-
Read-on MacDuff
E-visit at http://yucalandia.com

(This post was edited by YucaLandia on Jun 6, 2015, 5:28 PM)

playaboy

Jun 6, 2015, 9:42 PM

Post #9 of 9 (8948 views)

Shortcut

Re: [YucaLandia] selling US plated car in free zone?

I think Cancun airport is considered federal property and as such is ruled by the Federales.

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4