Mexico Connect
Forums  > General > Traveling Mexico

stanbnv

Aug 24, 2014, 1:13 PM

Post #1 of 13 (4353 views)

Shortcut

Leaving vehicle in Mexico

Can't Post | Private Reply
There is an ongoing discussion on the RV net forum about leaving your vehicle in Mexico if you have to fly out for a short period for an family emergency or the like. This is if you and your vehicle are on a 180 day FMM or whatever it is called. Some say you must have your vehicle impounded for the time you are gone as it is tied to your FMM. While I don't disagree I know that several people in the RV park we stay at fly back for Christmas with their grandkids with no problem. Any EXPERT advise?

Rolly

Aug 24, 2014, 1:24 PM

Post #2 of 13 (4349 views)

Shortcut

Re: [stanbnv] Leaving vehicle in Mexico

It's done all the time, even though it is illegal. I have never heard of anyone getting into trouble over it.

Rolly Pirate

chicois8

Aug 24, 2014, 2:36 PM

Post #3 of 13 (4335 views)

Shortcut

It is illegal but about the only way one would be caught is at the airport if
customs were to inspect their FMM they might notice the silhouette of a car
in the front lower right hand corner...if you entered by plane there would be a silhouette of a plane....

Also the TIP would expire when the FMM would be turned in at the airport and a new one issued when they returned might be confusing as to the date to leave Mexico and get return of deposit........
Rincon de Guayabitos,Nayarit
San Mateo, California

RickS

Aug 24, 2014, 4:03 PM

Post #4 of 13 (4324 views)

Shortcut

"Any EXPERT advise? "

Yeah, right! As Rolly states, it's done a lot although illegal. I've done it a couple of times in the past but that was probably before some of these processes were more computerized. It's hard to say just what a TIP is "tied to" these days. It can't 'directly' be tied to an FMM because one can get a TIP online a month before one gets an FMM when crossing somewhere. But whether the two are now 'indirectly tied to each other (like with a Passport #) via a sharing of computer files I don't anyone actually knows. But.....I don't think I'll try it again.

stanbnv

Aug 24, 2014, 4:21 PM

Post #5 of 13 (4322 views)

Shortcut

Re: [RickS] Leaving vehicle in Mexico

I did it once back in 05 or 06 to get some meds that were unavailable in Mexico, but there have been a lot of changes since then. I guess I'll find out when the ones in the park fly to their grandkids this winter. Or maybe they'll get away with it. I too get my TIP on line and the immigration guy at km21 in Nogales didn't want to even look at the paper that comes back with the TIP that says you are supposed to give it to Immigration when you enter Mexico.

chicois8

Aug 24, 2014, 7:55 PM

Post #6 of 13 (4299 views)

Shortcut

I do not know about online TIPs but when it is done in person the FMM number it imprinted on the right side of the TIP....

The point I was trying to make was on the new FMM received after the return flight would be good for 180 days but the TIP would expire when the original FMM was surrendered at the airport.....If by confusion the OP tried to return and receive his refund on the expiration of the second FMM he would have lost the refund..
San Mateo, California

Rolly

Aug 24, 2014, 8:46 PM

Post #7 of 13 (4292 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chicois8] Leaving vehicle in Mexico

The TIP will expire at the original date, not any "extension" that might be imagined with a new Visitante.

BTW Visitante is the name of the document that replaced the old tourist FMM a few years ago.

Rolly Pirate

playaboy

Aug 25, 2014, 5:47 AM

Post #8 of 13 (4266 views)

Shortcut

I don't believe that it is illegal to leave a TIP car in Mexico while you take a short visit out of the country. I wonder where that rumor began?

A TIP is not associated with your FMM tourista (beyond sharing the same expiration date), it is associated with a passport or Mexican voting card.

RickS

Aug 25, 2014, 6:51 AM

Post #9 of 13 (4250 views)

Shortcut

Re: [playaboy] Leaving vehicle in Mexico

"...the TIP would expire when the original FMM was surrendered at the airport."
"
I don't believe that it is illegal to leave a TIP car in Mexico while you take a short visit out of the country."

So there you have it. Two diametrically opposed statements. Both can't be right.

If would indeed be nice if the lawful answer could be obtained. But that will probably be a hard critter to corral her in Mexico.

AlanMexicali

Aug 25, 2014, 7:12 AM

Post #10 of 13 (4243 views)

Shortcut

In Reply To
"...the TIP would expire when the original FMM was surrendered at the airport."
"
I don't believe that it is illegal to leave a TIP car in Mexico while you take a short visit out of the country."

So there you have it. Two diametrically opposed statements. Both can't be right.

If would indeed be nice if the lawful answer could be obtained. But that will probably be a hard critter to corral her in Mexico.

If you check this SAT webpage to verify a TIP you will notice it references to a passport or Residency Visa number and not a tourist card number. I would imagine it is tied to a passport or a Residente Temporal visa [assumption on my part] and not a FMM tourist card now.

https://portalsat.plataforma.sat.gob.mx/..._internet/index.aspx

(This post was edited by RickS on Aug 25, 2014, 9:32 AM)

chicois8

Aug 25, 2014, 10:13 AM

Post #11 of 13 (4196 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Leaving vehicle in Mexico

In Reply To
.BTW Visitante is the name of the document that replaced the old tourist FMM a few years ago.

Rolly, I am a little confused by the above statement, I am looking at a tourist permit I got last Wednesday and it is a FMM form,in the area where I fill it out #7 asks" purpose of trip" and I checked Turismo/Tourist...
On the top of the form it says" FORMA MIGRATORIA MULTIPLE ( FMM )........
San Mateo, California

Rolly

Aug 25, 2014, 10:42 AM

Post #12 of 13 (4188 views)

Shortcut

Re: [chicois8] Leaving vehicle in Mexico

I guess I'm confused too. I have trouble keeping up with INM's constantly changing nomenclature.

Rolly Pirate

chicois8

Aug 25, 2014, 10:52 AM

Post #13 of 13 (4183 views)

Shortcut

Re: [Rolly] Leaving vehicle in Mexico

In Reply To
I guess I'm confused too. I have trouble keeping up with INM's constantly changing nomenclature.

Maybe your thinking of the old FM-2 & FM-3's...........
San Mateo, California

Search for (advanced search) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.4